Why isn't this book on Kindle when all of the other ones are?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 10, 2012 11:05:01 AM PST
K says:
Why isn't "A Memory of Light" on Kindle?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 5:50:31 PM PST
WG says:
It doesn't come out until Jan, 2013.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 5:04:03 PM PST
K says:
Of course I know that but the release that was posted on there is April 2013 for the ebook and that just irritates me so much. But means I will be reading a real book again sigh. I dont like that.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 5:02:10 AM PST
Bibliophile says:
So absurd - but since I'm overseas, I have no choice but to wait for the kindle edition. I fail to understand why they're delaying it 3+ months. The last gasp for money and trying to force everyone to buy the hardcover? Really disappointing.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 5:31:27 PM PST
Each to his own I say. I have to admit I prefer the look and feel of a hard cover book, and aside from being more durable, they look great lined up in the bookcase.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 10:48:28 AM PST
Robert says:
More durable . . . ? I assumed that Harriet McDougal (who is the driving force behind the delay) is just of the old school mindset and doesn't see ebook sales as 'real'.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 9:39:01 PM PST
Thanks for the reply Robert. By "more durable" I mean as in the case of a computer crash or some such. I had this unfortunate experience a few years ago on my XP machine, and not only lost important documents, but many irreplaceable photos. I have since upgraded to a more modern machine with W7 and back everything up, but remain a little gun-shy trusting electronic storage. I don't own a kindle as such, but I did download the kindle for PC, just to see if I like it... it's ok I guess, and sooner or later I will get a kindle machine, however, I will always have a hard cover version in the bookshelf, being of the "old school" mindset myself. Yay Harriet.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 10:17:56 PM PST
Sarah Black says:
are you sure you can't get it? I was overseas when Towers of Midnight came out, and I was able to order it from Amazon, and had it in my hands the day it was released.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 10:28:33 AM PST
Welcome to 2012 where a computer crash does not in fact mean the loss of an ebook. . .You're an amazon customer and never bothered to check your account? there is a digital purchases section. If you lose it or delete just download it again.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 2:49:38 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 12:06:04 PM PST
Well, Matrim, allow me to display the features of the wonder that is Kindle a bit more kindly....
Not only are you able to keep an "online backup" via your account (check the "Manage Your Kindle" link on the dropdown titled "your account" at the top right), you can also download the e-book on ANY Kindle-capable device. This includes pretty much every iPod, iPad, non-Apple tablet, smartphone, and any desktop or laptop computer that can download Kindle e-reader programs. In addition to this, should you find that one device is more suitable than another for any particular situation, such as being on-the-go or relaxing in front of the fire, amazon has a feature called "whisper sync" that allows ALL of your Kindle-capable devices to synchronize your progress. This is, I believe, automatically enabled, and can be controlled from the same "Manage Your Kindle" page should you decide that you do or do not need to synchronize your book locations. Not to mention the fact that the Kindle app has handy features such as a readily-accessible dictionary, a phrase-search capability that searches Wikipedia and Google, a recently-added function that allows you to search for "universe specific" terms and phrases (see: Myrddraal, etc), highlighting and bookmarking ability for quotes you find meaningful or important, and the ability to place personalized, easily-referenced notes near phrases that you feel need your own amplifications. This last function is particularly useful for study material and for writing references in case you find yourself drafting essays about whatever it is you might be reading.

In regards to Bibliophile, I'm as disappointed as you are that I would have to wait until April to get the e-book edition, as it's fairly clear that I vastly prefer the e-book. That being said... being overseas has by no means stopped me from pre-ordering the hardcover. One way or another, I WILL be racing through this long-awaited conclusion. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 2:21:24 PM PST
A. Fitch says:
Attempting to read an e-book on a regular computer is completely different than reading it on a Kindle device.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 6:02:46 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 3:46:40 PM PST
Captain says:
Patience. What's another three months for the ebook version? It's been twenty-two years so far (Eye of the World was published in 1990) and the ending is going to be worth a little wait.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 10:56:00 AM PST
Masha says:
Any delay in ebook release is 100% due to insistance of Harriet McDougal (RJ's widow and heir). I remember Brandon saying that he loves ebooks and is convinced its the future but Harriet never trusted digital format and originally just wanted Hardcopy then he (and Tor publishers) convinced her and for Towers of Midnight ebook was released "just" 12mths after hardcopy (which Brandon said was major concession from her). Now her explains her reasoning is that bestseller lists at NYTimes which apparently count only hardcopies not digital sales in rating bestseller lists sales. (at least they so around the Towers of Midnight release). I was actually pleasantly surprised with only 4 months delay in ebook release, it probably taken a lot from Brandon and Tor publishers to get her to agree to that!

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 10:02:02 PM PST
Elmo Kajaky says:
Delaying the ebook will only encourage ebook piracy. It's an insane thing to do.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 8:25:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 8:25:40 AM PST
ATC says:
The delay was a stupid decision that I hope costs them a lot of money. No love for Tor here.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 3:56:42 PM PST
E.B.L. says:
I am simply going to say this. The reason e-book sales are left off is that previous to 2011, the number one bestseller list in the world, the New York Times Best Seller List refused to count e-book sales as part of the total sales figures for fiction books. When Towers of Midnight was published in 2010 that was probably why they delayed the e-book version. This book though, I have no idea why they are doing it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 6:59:34 AM PST
Daniel says:
Not sure how a Hard Cover Book is more durable than an e-book. They do look great lined up in the bookcase though I agree.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:10:41 AM PST
If you buy the ebook from Google or Amazon you will have a back up of it as long as they are still in business. Also ebooks don't degrade from reading them repeatedly or carrying them in a backpack.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:12:42 AM PST
??? He was just pointing out that if your computer crashes you don't lose ebooks permanently. Why you taking so much offense?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:14:27 AM PST
Probably will mostly be fancy collector's editions for people that really like a certain book and want a book copy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:15:16 AM PST
Yeah Sanderson released one of his recent books a day earlier on ebook.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:16:38 AM PST
I know I'll download it in a few days, but I will pay for it when it comes out because I love Sanderson and Jordan and have all of the other books on my Amazon account.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:50:44 AM PST
Dark_Eternal says:
It might encourage piracy, but it won't _justify_ piracy.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  27
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  Nov 10, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Memory of Light  (Wheel of Time, Book 14)
A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time, Book 14) by Robert Jordan (Hardcover - January 8, 2013)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (3,350)