5.0 out of 5 stars A tour de force
jQuery is a Javascript framework that aims to let you think structurally and conceptually, rather than worrying about syntax and other details. In that largely succeeds, and so does this remarkable book.

Published on April 19, 2008 by Ernest Friedman-Hill

3.0 out of 5 stars Online Documentation in Book Form.
Published on April 27, 2009 by Matthew Mueller

5.0 out of 5 stars A tour de force, April 19, 2008
This review is from: jQuery in Action (Paperback)

Every technical book should be like this one; having written a few myself, I know that's a tall order. "jQuery in Action" is concise but clear, humorous but not silly, and answers all the questions it raises, quickly. The reader is never left wondering "But what about..." for more than a sentence or two. The authors clearly gave a lot of thought to pedagogy, because things are explained in a clear way which progresses naturally from chapter to chapter. Factor in the extremely readable style and the handsome diagrams, and it's easy to see why reading this book is a sheer joy.

For each major feature of jQuery, this book provides a "Laboratory page", a kind of interactive HTML playground where you can try the feature out using different options. The remarkable flexibility of these pages is a testament to both the power of jQuery and to the imagination and creativity of the authors.

Perhaps the most commendable feature of "jQuery in Action" is, however, its unflinching honesty. All too often authors are interested in selling you on an approach or a product, and they tend to gloss over the rough spots to win you over. These authors refuse to do that. They present their topic just as it is, describe its merits, and let the reader decide. You should, of course, decide to buy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Best Ajax Library, May 29, 2008
This review is from: jQuery in Action (Paperback)
This is just an excellent book all around. It's well-written. No BS to wade through (just the stuff you need to get going with jQuery). It has excellent online tools to download so you can really get into jQuery and how it works (they call it a Lab page -- it's a set of HTML pages that you download and use to test tasks or theories in jQuery).

I haven't read too many books solely on Ajax frameworks but I cannot recommend this one enough. You'll be up and running with jQuery faster than you can imagine.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book on the Best Javascript Framework, March 17, 2008
This review is from: jQuery in Action (Paperback)
jQuery in Action is a practical book that explains how to use, and what's behind the magical framework known as jQuery. It's teaches by example, so you're never reading 20 pages of theory. The writing is clear and it really shows you how to get through some of the "gotchas" of javascript, like timing, animations, and our good friend Ajax. Good for beginners to Javascript, jQuery, and experts.

5.0 out of 5 stars this book knows what you think, March 15, 2008
J. Mucsi (Dublin, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: jQuery in Action (Paperback)
I purchased this book as soon as it was available. I knew very little about JavaScript then and jQuery in Action does not assume that you know anything about it. The examples are very clear and the book is very carefully written without unnecessary words. But you get more. The authors lead you to show how to think, they designed the samples to advance from trivial to professional knowledge. Often, scanning through the example code, I found myself asking "why is it this way?" and immediately in the next paragraph, there was the answer. I am impressed with the quality of writing, I think every serious professional should read this book whether or not he/she plans to use jQuery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made the whole learning process much more enjoyable, June 30, 2008
Foti Massimo (Vezia (Switzerland)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: jQuery in Action (Paperback)
I have solid JavaScript skills and plenty of experience, but at first I wasn't feeling 100% comfortable using jQuery; I was able to be productive very quickly, but failed to feel at home using it. This book was exactly what I was looking for. jQuery has its own way to approach many problems and, in my case, I almost had to "unlearn" certain habits and embrace the idiomatic alternatives offered by the library. jQuery in Action helped me a lot in the process, saved me some time and made the whole learning process much more enjoyable. I wish there was more space dedicated to ui.jQuery, but I understand that's a topic worth a dedicated book.

5.0 out of 5 stars fast moving, useful, hands on jQuery book, June 28, 2009
Second edition review:
"jQuery in Action" (second edition) was a great book. It kept almost everything I liked in the first edition while adding new stuff I liked and updating the content for the latest version of jQuery.

Cool stuff that's new in the second edition:
1)More exercises than the first edition to try in the labs
2)The second half of the book on jQuery UI
3)This is the first print book I saw with references to HTML 5
4)Mine came with a paper giving free access to the first and second edition PDF - not sure if that was because I got a review copy or they all do
5)The last sentence made me smile - "We wish you health and happiness, and may all your bugs be easily solvable!

What I continued to like:
1)Screenshots of labs and reminders to do labs
2)Emphasis on common idioms, gotchas, etc
3)Casual style and cultural references - this time caught a reference to a Jimmy Buffett song
4)The PDF is in color
5)Showing the non-jQuery way first for things like AJAX

What I didn't like:
1)Ripping out the paper with free book codes damaged the binding a bit
2)Could really use a list of tables - they are such great references
3)The function syntax boxes look the same for custom written plugins and built in. Awkward for later when flip through for reference.
4)Would have liked more on how to use plugins and which are available
5)Could really use a list of tables - wait, I said this. Maybe I should make my own.

I read this book largely on the train and didn't get the full benefit from it. I need to go back and do the labs and exercises. These aren't optional!

---
Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for writing this review on behalf of JavaRanch.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
First edition review:
"jQuery in Action" grabbed my interest and kept it. This was a great contrast to the previous book I read - "Learning jQuery 1.3" which made me want to pull my hair out at the copious HTML code. By contrast, the longest "jQuery in Action" code example was 3.5 pages and there were only a few approaching this length. The vast majority were significantly shorter and all were easily digestible.

Note that this review is for jQuery in Action 1st edition which covers jQuery 1.3. If you go to the publisher's website [...]), you can buy the second edition which covers jQuery 1.4. While only three chapters of the second edition are available, you can see them as they get written. Plus it includes the e-book for the current edition. If I were buying the book now, I'd choose this arrangement. It's a great idea on the part of the publisher as it solves the "I want to read a good book about jQuery now but don't want the latest edition ASAP."

The book comes with some "labs" that you can download to try out concepts. I really liked following along and trying out the selectors/effects interactively. There was an emphasis on good coding concepts such as Unobtrusive JavaScript and Progressive Disclosure throughout. I really liked the emphasis on idioms and good techniques. I also liked how there was a page on why browser detection is bad before showing how to do it.

5.0 out of 5 stars jQuery core, demystified, October 5, 2008
This review is from: jQuery in Action (Paperback)
jQuery is a fantastic JavaScript framework - not unlike Ruby on Rails, it has brought back the fun into building rich web applications. Whether you are a novice (like myself), or a seasoned JavaScript veteran, you'll find the level of detail just right, which in itself is a great sign of a well structured framework.

Yehuda Katz and Bear Bibeault focus on jQuery core and walk the reader through all the basics of working with selectors, manipulating the DOM, working with JavaScript events, simple AJAX with jQuery, as well as, making use of external plugins. By the end, I felt very comfortable with jQuery - I understood the internals and framework decisions, and had enough breadth to start developing a non-trivial web application. Interactive examples sprinkled throughout the book were very helpful.

Highly recommended read if you're looking for a structured introduction to jQuery core.

3.0 out of 5 stars Online Documentation in Book Form., April 27, 2009
This review is from: jQuery in Action (Paperback)
I was really looking forward to this book as I was just learning jQuery and wanted to really dive in. This book IS well-written, it DOES provide a good overview of the language. It does not however cover advanced UI techniques at all and it only briefly goes beyond the basic online documentation (talks about plugins). This would not bother me if jQuery was a challenging language or the documentation was hard to interpret- but jQuery's documentation is one of the best out there- its incredibly easy to get started.

I'm not going use this book at all because when I'm writing jQuery its faster to just go to the online documentation than it is opening up a book.

So just to warn those considering buying this book - its very basic (unusual for In Action series) and will only be helpful if you're just starting to learn jQuery and Javascript.

4.0 out of 5 stars Time Well Spent, April 6, 2010
David Rankin (Ashland, Ky. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: jQuery in Action (Paperback)
Will get you up to speed on JQuery. Provides an overview of JQuery, the Plug In framework and how to program instructions, but I think the book might have been a little better organized. I think that Appendix A should have been chapter 1 and chapter 6 pertaining to the utility functions should have been chapter 2. Also I couldn't get the zip file containing the "lab" and source code to download from the Manning web site.

5.0 out of 5 stars I absolutely love this book, November 1, 2009
This review is from: jQuery in Action (Paperback)
I am beginner with jQuery and this book was great help to start with it.

jQuery in Action
jQuery in Action by Yehuda Katz (Paperback - February 14, 2008)
Used & New from: $0.01