5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great O'Reilly Cookbook
The jQuery Cookbook, like the many other Cookbook series of books from O'Reilly proves to be an extremely valuable addition to any web developer's bookshelf. There's nothing unexpected here - it's a book full of practical solutions to hundreds of everyday problems.

The first chapter, "jQuery Basics" is meant to be a crash course introduction to jQuery, but it...
Published on January 6, 2010 by Adam Barney

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Focused or Essential
A mixed bag. This is an assemblage of overview and how-to articles on a variety of jQuery methods and tricks. I have not been able to use it as a cookbook, although that may change in the future, and I have no plan to throw it out anytime soon. There is no single go-to guide for jQuery, at least no published book that is more convenient and informative than the jQuery...
Published on January 16, 2011 by margot

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent !, March 6, 2012
This review is from: jQuery Cookbook: Solutions & Examples for jQuery Developers (Animal Guide) (Paperback)
Excellent book that has practical and useful examples to give you a push in the right direction. The samples work, (WHOO HOO) and these samples are full up examples so you are not guessing what code needs to be written before, or after, in order to it working. The chapters build on each other so it is best to start at the beginning of the book and work your way through it. Found every chapter to be useful and provided solutions to REAL everyday problems. The first couple of chapters provide enough information to get even a newbie started, or as a fresher to us to do not use jQuery every day. Good Job!

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, I'm not a huge fan of Developer, November 4, 2011
Generally I dont buy developer books and stick to the tons of information around the web but this one caught my eye on checkout and was priced right for impulse so I nagged it and its worth every penny, especially if your a Old hat Perl, PHP, and Python fella like me that just deals with JS only as much as necessary then this is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners, September 12, 2011
I'm a jQuery beginner, and I'd say this book is a must for you if you are just starting-out. It is amazing what you can do with jQuery, once you begin to understand the quirks of the syntax a bit. Having a solid understanding of JavaScript and CSS (since the selection syntax is CSS-esque) will help, but even without that foundation, this book will help you become productive in jQuery in a short amount of time.

The O'Reilly books are well known for being concise, friendly and thorough in their treatment. Whenever I go to buy a tech book on some subject, I always check to see if O'Reilly has a book on the same topic. This book is no exception. If you have bought and liked the format of O'Reilly books, you won't be disappointed with this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy Pocket Reference, July 17, 2011
Eki (Melbourne) - See all my reviews
This (e-)book has helped me start off with jQuery. It has been quite comprehensive in laying out some of the common problems in real situation. I highly recommend it to all web developers regardless of what web technologies they use daily. It will be a handly pocket reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant - even for a beginner at jQuery, but deep enough to be of use to the experts, May 25, 2011
This is easily one of the best technical books I've read for a long time. I came to it knowing very little jQuery, and read it cover to cover. I now feel I could tackle a whole variety of problems, and know where to look for more help if I get stuck.

It assumes a basic understanding of Javascript and CSS, but without that you'd struggle with any book on jQuery, as the framework is written in Javascript, and is used from Javascript. The amount of CSS you need to know is minimal anyway, so that's not an issue.

The book is split into logical chapters, each covering a different aspect of using jQuery. The material is presented as a series of problems, each of which has a solution and a discussion. I found these very clear and well presented.

Unlike other reviewers, I really didn't find the variety of authors a problem. For the most part, I didn't even notice any difference in style, and where I did, it only helped round out a slightly different way of looking at the issues.

All in all, a very well recommended book. I only had a brief look at the online jQuery docs (I much prefer reading books), but don't feel I lost much. This book contains pretty much all you need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brear Book, May 24, 2011
This book is awesome! I had some knowledge on CSS/DOM, and in the past I created some minor DHTML websites, but I had to learn jQuery in order to produce more in less time with less code. Althought jQuery is a great library, it is not easy to figure our all of it's possibilities and capabilities just studying it's docs.

Thas's when this book proofs how useful it can be.

I bought the online version, for Kindle, and in a few seconds I was able to learn and practice, in a manner probably I won't forget, because the book is driven for real life problem resolution, not lots and lots of theory that I, for now, am not interested in.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice book, May 9, 2011
I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn jQuery.

This book consists of receipes which are stand alone examples followed by details on how it works. It also
provides information on what to avoid, how to do something more efficient and is oriented towards good performance
so that your pages load pretty fast.

Each chapter is written by a separate author on a specific jQuery topics with external reference links as needed.

The book is oriented more towards the intermediate or advanced users - though begineers should not have much trouble
picking it up. The examples are well written and the explanation is good. The code which needs to be focused on
is highlighted in bold so that it gets your attention.

This book can also be used as a reference though not as a pocket reference.

Overall I recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn jQuery.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really helpful book, April 27, 2011
I thought this book was really helpful. I am really new to web programming, though I've done other kinds of programming for a long time. In contrast to others who say this book is inaccessible to beginners, I thought it was really easy to understand as one who is new to web programming, though not to programming in general.

This book showed me the kinds of things that were possible in web programming with javascript and jQuery. It says that you should be familiar with jQuery itself first, but I only knew a very little bit, and I did just fine with just this book. It gives enough of an intro that anyone who knows how to program should be fine. I really liked the breadth of items that it had; just about anything you might want to do on a web page should have some relevant recipe in this book (at least that I could think of). The difficulty of them was across the board, too; some were really easy for me, most were moderately complex, and a few were over my head. I didn't expect a cookbook to be so comprehensive. It was really helpful to me. In several projects I'm working on there were things I learned in the book that I could apply immediately to my code.

The one gripe that I had with this book was that it felt like each chapter was written independently from the rest of the book. In fact that is the way it was written, but I thought they could have done a better job integrating the chapters together before publishing it. There were a few recipes in later chapters that were almost exact duplicates of previous recipes, and there were major stylistic differences between the chapters. Some of those were downright confusing; someone decided to have a colon ending the paragraph before any block of code. That works just fine for some of the chapters, because the text describing the code is directly above the code block. For other chapters the text follows the code block it describes and leaves you wondering what in the world the colon is doing. I don't know how many times I re-read the preceding paragraph or the code block trying to figure out how the colon fit into the discussion until I realized that it was a poor style decision and the colon just shouldn't be there.

Overall, though, I thought this was a great book that taught me a lot. I will be using it frequently in much of what I work on.

5.0 out of 5 stars jQuery Cookbook to the rescue, March 28, 2011
Craig Cecil (Baltimore, MD USA) - See all my reviews
I needed an intermediate to advanced book that covered the jQuery JavaScript library for someone who was already familiar with other JavaScript libraries (YUI, Dojo, MooTools). This book fit that need exactly. A quick ramp up on jQuery syntax at the beginning, then right into solutions for common operations, performance tuning, jQuery UI, themes, enhancements and extensions. The book concludes with sections on using jQuery in large projects, using the QUnit test framework, and one of the best set of examples for using Ajax with JSON and JSONP that I've seen. Two weeks and 500 pages later, I'm at the advanced jQuery level. Thanks O'Reilly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book., February 27, 2011
I think this is a great book for Web developers who are expert in Html/javascript. jQuery is a great library, and this book is perfect for developers who are willing to create outstanding and rich interface for their applications

jQuery Cookbook: Solutions & Examples for jQuery Developers (Animal Guide)
$34.99 $25.64