Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now May4th

on September 12, 2011
I'm a jQuery beginner, and I'd say this book is a must for you if you are just starting-out. It is amazing what you can do with jQuery, once you begin to understand the quirks of the syntax a bit. Having a solid understanding of JavaScript and CSS (since the selection syntax is CSS-esque) will help, but even without that foundation, this book will help you become productive in jQuery in a short amount of time.

The O'Reilly books are well known for being concise, friendly and thorough in their treatment. Whenever I go to buy a tech book on some subject, I always check to see if O'Reilly has a book on the same topic. This book is no exception. If you have bought and liked the format of O'Reilly books, you won't be disappointed with this one.
on March 28, 2011
I needed an intermediate to advanced book that covered the jQuery JavaScript library for someone who was already familiar with other JavaScript libraries (YUI, Dojo, MooTools). This book fit that need exactly. A quick ramp up on jQuery syntax at the beginning, then right into solutions for common operations, performance tuning, jQuery UI, themes, enhancements and extensions. The book concludes with sections on using jQuery in large projects, using the QUnit test framework, and one of the best set of examples for using Ajax with JSON and JSONP that I've seen. Two weeks and 500 pages later, I'm at the advanced jQuery level. Thanks O'Reilly.
on December 4, 2010
This book wastes little time with fluff, and gives you applicable value with every page. Great examples, relevant code. It doesn't merely outline the API. It gives you examples, then provides a concise explanation of the example. Very useful resource! I would recommend this book to anyone learning to use jQuery.
on July 17, 2011
This (e-)book has helped me start off with jQuery. It has been quite comprehensive in laying out some of the common problems in real situation. I highly recommend it to all web developers regardless of what web technologies they use daily. It will be a handly pocket reference.
on May 24, 2011
This book is awesome! I had some knowledge on CSS/DOM, and in the past I created some minor DHTML websites, but I had to learn jQuery in order to produce more in less time with less code. Althought jQuery is a great library, it is not easy to figure our all of it's possibilities and capabilities just studying it's docs.

Thas's when this book proofs how useful it can be.

I bought the online version, for Kindle, and in a few seconds I was able to learn and practice, in a manner probably I won't forget, because the book is driven for real life problem resolution, not lots and lots of theory that I, for now, am not interested in.
on November 29, 2011
A JavaScript library is not a great deal of use unless you know how to use it properly. There is little point in having a library that is supposed to make things simpler for you if you end up with code that uses the library that is al long and convoluted as you'd need without the library. This particular book covers over 180 "how to" uses for the jQuery library and not only shows you how to write your code in the most effective way to deal with those requirements, it also explains why you should do it that way and how the code achieves the desired result.

By writing your JavaScript the way that this book demonstrates you will achieve the greatest benefit out of your decision to use the jQuery library as a part of your code.

The book begins with a list of a whole series of benefits that you can achieve by using the jQuery library instead of writing all your own JavaScript code or using an alternative JavaScript library. The rest of the book shows you how to achieve those benefits.

Also, while the book does not set out to teach jQuery, anyone with a decent knowledge of JavaScript should be able to make use of the book without first needing to get a separate book on jQuery. jQuery itself is written entirely in JavaScript and so all that any JavaScript programmer needs to know in order to be able to use the library is what calls to the library to make in order to achieve the desired processing. As the book starts with the basic functionality that the library provides to make interacting with the web page easier the book should be quite usable for an experienced JavaScript programmer to use as their starting point for incorporating jQuery into their pages. I could even go so far as to say that someone who isn't able to take the information that this book provides and be able to properly and effectively use jQuery without first needing to read a beginners jQuery tutorial probably doesn't know JavaScript wekk enough to be using a library at all since JavaScript libraries can only be used effectively when you know enough JavaScript to know what it is that you are trying to achieve. The book does recognise that there are many people who do try to use jQuery without understanding JavaScript well enough to use it properly as at one point it asks experienced jQuery users to go easy on those posting simple JavaScript questions in jQuery forums.
on November 4, 2011
Generally I dont buy developer books and stick to the tons of information around the web but this one caught my eye on checkout and was priced right for impulse so I nagged it and its worth every penny, especially if your a Old hat Perl, PHP, and Python fella like me that just deals with JS only as much as necessary then this is for you.
on July 15, 2010
Really good book to get you started with jQuery. It starts out with a brief overview of everything web for those not familiar with some of the basics, most of which you can probably skip. I did find that the jQuery basics was helpful and it filled in some of gaps and showed me some techniques I wasn't aware of. Not being a hard core javascript or css writer it's easy to miss a lot of browser compatibility issues and jQuery deals with these issues for you very nicely but I've found that it can be a little tough to find what I'm looking for in the jQuery documentation online. For me, this book filled that gap nicely by covering many of the most frequent types of things you'd want to do. With web content getting more and more complex jQuery is a must-have tool to avoid compatibility issues and this book is a great way to get started and to quickly identify the proper techniques to using it.
on February 10, 2010
Though this book does contain a number of practical, "plug-in-to-your-site"-type recipes, I think it's at its best when delving into some more general jQuery and Javascript principals such as how to write cleaner, more efficient code. These are things that can be used over and over, regardless of what site your working on or what you're trying to accomplish. The authors write clearly and concisely, explaining the Solution to each Problem in the Discussion section.

A number of other reviewers say this book is appropriate for everyone, from beginner to advanced, but I would hesitate to recommend it to an absolute beginner. However, if you have some familiarity with jQuery (perhaps from reading Learning jQuery 1.3) and want to learn more, this book is a must-have.

I did wish there were a few more Ajax-related recipes.
on May 13, 2010
Before this book all I did was plug-and-play with every Jquery plugin out there. With this book, I'm realizing there is a lot more to it than I thought. It's the perfect book to help you learn how to write your own plugins, and at the same time, simple enough to aid in your quest to highlighting every other DIV on the page, or bolding only the last paragraph.

Quick, easy, to the point.

I suppose the only 'drawback' is it's advancement. I do not have much programming experience, and there are elements found in this book that make my head spin. However, my 5 stars shows that the book does what it's supposed to and I'm happy to get caught up and learn all these advanced techniques...although I'll say I can't see how too many people will implement them in their own sites.