Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 28, 2012 10:09:20 PM PST
Judder is in all motion shots of season 2 bluray.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2012 11:24:22 AM PST
JJI says:
Yep. You are absolutely right. We were able to minimize it somewhat, but can't eliminate it completely. Season 1 Blu-rays played fine.

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 12:30:35 AM PDT
Anyone else notice this? My playback device is a Sony PS3. Is it my player, or is there something wrong w/the disc, or perhaps with the way the movie was filmed and/or encoded?

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 12:44:48 AM PDT
Seek and you shall find...
Here's the answer to my question, and from a noted authority, the man who restored the classic film, My Fair Lady:
Thread Starter Robert Harris, Archivist.
UPDATED 3/6/12

The final result of problems with the U.S. domestic release of Downton Abbey comes down to a simple fact.
Both Season 1 as well as Season 2 are fully defective, as they are improperly mastered.
For those who wish to own the series, Amazon offers a few different possibilities. Purchasing the UK release, which is non-region coded via a U.S. supplier is not the best route, as ridiculous prices are asked. The easy way is to order from Amazon UK. I found the boxed set of two seasons to be fairly priced, and delivery quick.
Be aware that while the U.S. Season 2 is inclusive of the final episode, the UK set is not, and it must be ordered separately, but is easy enough.
The interesting thing here is that while Season 1 (U.S.) shows the same problem as Season 2, it is not as obvious, and plays decently. Season 2 is unwatchable, which begs the questions, what has PBS done to destroy the quality of the master?
I would suggest that the PBS (U.S.) release issued as "Masterpiece Classic," and "Original UK Edition," be returned as defective, which they are.

RAH

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 10:56:20 PM PDT
J. Cormack says:
The judder on the blu-ray discs is caused by conversion from 50hz to 60hz but done very poorly. Watching season 1 on netflix does not have this problem.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Feb 28, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Masterpiece Classic: Downton Abbey Season 2 (Original U.K. Edition) [Blu-ray]
Masterpiece Classic: Downton Abbey Season 2 (Original U.K. Edition) [Blu-ray] by Maggie Smith (Blu-ray - 2012)
4.9 out of 5 stars   (14,928)