Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now SnS

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 405 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 11, 2009 4:00:28 AM PST
Out of the blue... not working... small lines on screen, I believe its fully charged. Turned it off last night screen won't change. PLEASE HELP. On vacation with all these books.....

Posted on Mar 13, 2009 10:46:58 PM PDT
Miguel says:
Did you bump or drop it? the formatting gets knocked off with the most minor of mechanical forces, and you will have to pay Amazon $200 for a replacement, unless of course you have already shelled out another $65 for their "extended" drop warranty.

Posted on Apr 27, 2009 9:55:15 AM PDT
Amy Collins says:
My kindle had the same thing happen as did my business partners... the black lines thing appeared on our Kindle after just a few days. Both were replaced by Amazon for free. We did not drop ours, we live in seperate cities and all of a sudden, black lines through the pages.

Posted on Jul 10, 2009 9:09:48 PM PDT
How did you get yours replaced for free?Did u have a warranty?

Posted on Aug 12, 2009 5:19:39 AM PDT
Just had the same thing happen to mine. How do you get in touch with Amazon?

Posted on Jan 30, 2010 8:29:05 AM PST
Elena Fuller says:
My kindle won't let me navigate home. I can't get to my books. I only can get to the kindle store. Is there a help desk or someone I can call?

Posted on Mar 14, 2010 8:34:28 AM PDT
I am in Jamaica with all my books on my Kindle and it is not working.....can't seem to get anyone to help?????

Posted on Mar 26, 2010 8:17:16 AM PDT
If your Kindle screen suddenly develops black lines across it, you need a new one. Unfortunately, this happened to me less than six months after my warranty expired and Amazon won't replace it. If you suddenly, randomly get black lines on your Kindle screen, you'll have to buy a new one...and why on earth would I want to do that when the thing self-destructs after 17 months?

Posted on Apr 29, 2010 12:43:37 PM PDT
Warning to anyone thinking of buying a kindle, mine stopped working after 5 months (critical battery message, same as lots of other kindle users) and amazon customer service is appalling. I have emailed them every day this week to try and resolve the problem, keep getting an email back telling me to go on the amazon website for help or giving me a number to ring that just rings out. Guess all I can do now is to go back to reading real paper books that will never fail me, oh yea, and keep spreading the bad news.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2010 6:35:21 PM PDT
I don't understand what the problem is. My Kindle stopped working after 6 months. I called Amazon and spoke to a helpful representative who tried to trouble shoot the problem over the phone. She decided that it was defective. I had a new Kindle on my door stop within 2 days. Packed up the old one and shipped it off. Of course they had to charge my credit card for the one that they sent but I was credited as fast as I received the new Kindle. I have to say that my experience was totally positive and could not have been happier with the service I received from Amazon.

Posted on May 31, 2010 12:34:12 PM PDT
mine is stuck on sleep mode and wont turn back on. is there a reset botton or some way to rest it?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2010 11:34:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 9, 2010 11:40:27 AM PDT
Mine just did the same thing. I know my battery had lots of charge left. Not sure what happened.

But the following helped http://www.justanswer.com/questions/2vmmv-my-kindle-is-stuckin-sleep-mode

Just slide the slider and hold for 30 seconds, then release. about 20 seconds later it resets and seems to work fine.

Posted on Jul 29, 2010 2:26:00 PM PDT
That advice -- hold slider for thirty seconds, release, wait for it to blink -- seems to work. The "stuck in sleep mode" thing happened to me after I had used text-to-speech mode for about two hours. I wonder if that is a coincidence, or if the "experimental" aspect of that mode caused a problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2010 2:33:58 PM PDT
This is exactly what happened to my Kindle. It was about exactly 17 months after I got it as a gift, so I am sure there is no warranty. Black lines started appearing across the screen, then blank patches, then eventually the whole screen was unreadable. It does seem it was set to self-destruct and force me to buy another one.

Posted on Aug 27, 2010 8:30:57 AM PDT
JTXan says:
Which Kindle is this happening to (the black lines)? The K2? Saw that problem on another board too!

Posted on Oct 5, 2010 1:24:23 AM PDT
K. ARNOLD says:
uk freephone number is 0800 496 2449 - do not phone usa number! i was on hold for twenty minutes - they were rude - unhelpful - deliberately slow - obstructive and finally after twenty minutes of messing me around and not getting me anywhere - they told me that there was a uk number i could ring - i then had to beg them before they would give it to me

Posted on Oct 25, 2010 1:46:54 PM PDT
John Bourne says:
Once upon a time, I bought a kindle DX for $500. I was excited by the devise and its ability to improve my daily routine, so I paid a premium to have the new DX version. A year and a half later, the screen stopped working, unprovoked. I did not drop the kindle; I did not get it wet. It just stopped working. When I inquired about repair, I was told that the warranty has expired and my remedy is to buy a replacement for the cost of a new Kindle. On the phone with a representative, there was no attempt to trouble shoot, no possibility of a repair for a nominal fee. Just, 'sorry, you'll have to buy a new device, because the device you bought conveniently died just outside the warranty period without cause.' Should I be angry? Disappointed?

I think I have the right to be frustrated. I have been a constant proponent of the Kindle. Without fail, when approached by a stranger I have sung the Kindle's praises and championed the brand. And this is the thanks I get. Hard to believe.

Needless to say, I will not be a supporter of the brand any longer. I will buy an Ipad and never look back. Maybe I'll continue to pretend reading the kindle in public so when people ask me how I like it, I can dump all over the devise and the brand. Or while I am reading my Ipad, I'll pretend it is a kindle and do the same.

Thanks for nothing, Amazon. Great work, Mr. Bezos. If I had Amazon stock I would sell it; this company is headed for the tank if it continues to treat its customers this way.

Posted on Nov 6, 2010 5:29:35 AM PDT
3 Weeks after purchasing my Kindle 3G (6 Inch) with built it Wi Fi, it is suddenly not working, its failure started with a weird message about being not able to connect via the available Wi Fi, and all the pages of the books went blank, with only the title of the last book I was reading. Few hours later it is completely dead. Any ideas guys?

Posted on Nov 10, 2010 1:14:18 AM PST
Matt Dean says:
We just got our new kindle in the mail and cannot get it to turn on. The only thing we see is the initial page saying to press and release the power switch. It's been charging for about 45 minutes to an hour now with the same outcome. The hard reset that was mentioned earlier does not work. Any other ideas? Is there a cover over the screen that I'm missing? Any help would be awesome. Thank you

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2010 1:41:04 PM PST
RCuanB says:
Same thing just happened to me, I just bought it a week ago. Have you had any luck? Not sure how to proceed

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2010 9:13:12 PM PST
Shay Sales says:
Did you ever figure out how to fix this problem? My kindle is doing the same thing!!

Posted on Nov 14, 2010 11:17:56 PM PST
K. ARNOLD says:
OK - if your kindle is doing strange things and the hard reset doesn't work, then its quite simple - you are not going crazy or doing anything wrong - you have one of the faulty batch - you need to contact Amazon on 0800 496 2449 and send it back and they will send you a new one. Hopefully the replacement will be one from the "good" batch, although some people have had to send them back twice. My replacement, so far, is working fine so I'm hoping I got one of the good ones. There are a number of "dud" Kindles out there and I'm so fed up with the people who act like the people who get one are just too stupid to work out how to use them. It's not that you are doing anything wrong, there is no magic solution to it, you just have a faulty product that needs replacing. Hope this helps!

Posted on Nov 20, 2010 3:28:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2010 3:30:50 PM PST
A. Day says:
I called Amazon at 1-866-321-8851 and the guy was very nice. I was like a day away from my Kindle Warranty expiring and within ten minutes of telling the guy that I had random lines through my Kindle he stated that they would replace it, etc... So I am very pleased, because they very easily could've said, "No Sorry, etc..." So Thank You Amazon for stepping up and supporting your product, which from the reports above seems to break down quite a lot.....
But Thanks Again!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2010 6:12:21 AM PST
W S Morris says:
THANK YOU!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2010 4:09:17 PM PST
I called Amazon with problems w/ our Kindle. They were most helpful and I was very surprised to have them offer to replace our Kindle that had problems. Highly recommend their customer service!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  327
Total posts:  405
Initial post:  Feb 11, 2009
Latest post:  25 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 65 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about