ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components 100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Jana Kramer belkin All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Learn more

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 255 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 6, 2009 6:06:12 AM PDT
A. B. LANDIS says:
After my kindle screen cracked simply from being packed--in its case--in a computer bag, I discovered this to be a very common problem. See these links:

Precisely the same problem as mine. I have never used my kindle-not even once. It's been one thing after another, after one full year of trying to get things sorted, finally Amazon copped out and told me it was past the warranty.

It actually took one year to have this discussion and then finally I got stuck with a cracked Kindle that I have never once used.

Not a fan.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2009 4:25:52 PM PDT
David Somner says:
Search for Matthew Geise - he has a class action lawsuit against Amazon for the Kindle covers cracking his case. Maybe you should talk to them and make it a general class action suit for case cracking in general.

Posted on Sep 3, 2009 3:13:30 PM PDT
R. Edwards says:
I kept my Kindle in a similar manner to my other electronic devices (laptop, cell phone, camera, ipod) but the screen still broke. It's a very fragile device. Not worth the money.

Posted on Sep 26, 2009 2:58:58 AM PDT
I've had my Kindle since March 2008 and the screen has not cracked using a Kindle cover.

Posted on Nov 26, 2009 11:51:28 AM PST
My Kindle has been banged around a lot. Lives in my computer bag, stuffed in overheads, etc. Works fine, no damage.

Posted on Dec 3, 2009 3:21:25 AM PST
I got my Kindle for my birthday since Feb. 2008, it had been stuffed in overheads numerous times, I can't imagine not having my Kindle with me wherever I go as a matter of fact I am buying the Kindle DX for this Christmas as a present. I have to agree that without the cover the Kindle screen seems very fragile, maybe Amazon will provide a cover free with the purchase of a Kindle? Should I be concerned and do more research before buying it?

Posted on Dec 8, 2009 2:07:45 PM PST
i just received my large size kindle and the cover in question and have been too fearful to use it. the instructions were slack as far as how to snap in and out? i own the original and love that case as it does have velcro in 4 conors and on top to close. i suppose it is safer because it is not snapped in and also i noticed they took global off this size one which when they first came out both were global. there is no good instructions for how to snap it in or how to unsnap it to take it out. does it fold all the way back like the original with no problem? because i was thinking about getting a travel carrier for all accessories for travel. but i want to know if it folds back flat like the original without cracking it? if so i will buy another for travel. way too expensive is this large one to be cracked so as i said i have not got up the nerve to snap it in this cover because there is no directions on how to un-snap it to get it out and i will only use it for the purpose of reading at home. i wish they would have sent one like the one i got with my original kindle which has been great and i did not mind the velcro as i do not care as much how it looks as i do the simplicity of use and no fear of cracking. does it fold all the way back from the front like the original one? because that is the way i use my original and is it hard to take it out after you snap it in and a snapped in one would be more stiff and not as loose so maybe that is the reason the cracking would be easier. too stiff with snap? has anyone had it crack just using it as the cover while reading as that is what i would use it for and find safer travel support. breaking sunrise ps please let me know if the cracking is a travel problem or a total problem. i still love my original cover for my original kindle because i do not care how velcro looks it has been good for me.

Posted on Apr 11, 2010 4:19:32 AM PDT
I just got the new large Kindle DX. It arrived in the leather case AND it was cracked where the upper "hinge" was attached! I hadn't even used it yet. It isn't actually the screen that is cracked, but rather the beige border...but for an expensive item, it still looks ugly and bothers me everytime I use it. Will Amazon send me a new one or repair this one?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2010 6:34:11 PM PDT
It sounds like you bought a used Kindle. I would think you should contact the seller who sent you a damaged item.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2010 8:19:55 PM PDT
I bought it *NEW* from Amazon last month!

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2010 9:14:48 AM PDT
The kindle does not have this problem. I have had a Kindle for some time. My Kindle DX bought 4 months ago has been replaced twice with broken displays. If you by a DX, get the display insurance.

Posted on Jun 11, 2010 4:41:31 PM PDT
Mark Diehl says:
Smak-Dab Cover Secure Clip for the Kindle 2 and Kindle DX

One preventive solution to the broken screen and cracked Kindle that is now available is the product offered above.

Posted on Jun 11, 2010 10:02:50 PM PDT
I'm buying the secure clip mentioned above so my replacement Kindle's screen doesn't crack. Why isn't there any warning about opening the cover from the back? With a normal book you can, who would know that opening this cover that way would crack the screen?

Posted on Jun 12, 2010 2:48:10 AM PDT
Mark Diehl says:
Diane, let us know how the secure clip works for you.
I have owned the Kindle DX and cover since November with no problems yet (fingers crossed!) But I have been concerned about an inadvertent opening of the back cover. Since using the secure clip for a couple of months, my anxiety about an accidental separation of the cover jacket from the back of the Kindle has been greatly reduced. Of course the clip won't help if the screen arrives cracked!

Posted on Jul 8, 2010 8:38:10 PM PDT
Everyone beware: before you start buying a Kindle and purchasing proprietary content for it, know that the screen is very weak and cannot survive even normal wear and tear. It is a beautiful little device, but Amazon has really dropped the ball on customer service on this issue and should be brought to task for that. I have been using the Kindle for years. Earlier this week, I literally put the Kindle in my bag after reading it on the subway (in its leather case). When I took it out in my apartment, the screen was all messed up with lines and dark. There was NO impact to the device. I was not upset at the time because I was sure that given Amazon's generally good customer service I would get a free replacement. I was very surprised that since it was out of warranty, they wanted me to pay for a new Kindle (albeit at a reduced price). Needless to say, I am furious since I expect a reputable company to stand behind their product when it has a defect (especially when they are trying to build and maintain customer loyalty in a VERY competitive and rapidly growing market). I have many handheld devices (iPod, iPad, Blackberry) and have never seen a device that cannot withstand normal wear and tear. If you cannot pack a Kindle in your bag (in its protective case) and take it out, what is the point of a portable device at all?? I am considering contacting a class action attorney I know to collect similar claims and force Amazon to address this. Amazon may be in a bind here, because if they admit the problem they could face some hefty costs in the short run. However, the best decision for them would be to correct the problem and honestly protect their brand and loyal customers before a competitor zeros in on this and knowledge of the defect goes viral.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2010 8:30:29 AM PDT
barrie fial says:
who replaces the broken dislay?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2010 2:24:31 PM PDT
Luis E Limon says:
from your own post "you used the Kindle for years" it's defiantly out of warranty don't know a single company who will replace a product of or warranty.

Posted on Aug 29, 2010 9:00:35 PM PDT
well i had my Kindle 2 for about 2 days and the screen already has a tiny crack it it. first i thought it was just a pieces of lint on the screen but no it's a crack. i can tell how because when the kindle is in sleep mode there is a white spot when the surrounding area is black.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2010 7:26:45 PM PDT
Hi there, I just had the same thing happen to my Kindle, and I am very disturbed. I got the same response from Amazon as you did. Please advise if you are moving forward with anything in terms of getting Amazon to own up to and fix this problem. Thanks! Dawne Richards.

Posted on Sep 4, 2010 4:54:26 AM PDT
dawnerichards, call Kindle customer service. While out-of-warranty replacement may not be available, Amazon is known for taking care of their customers, and may provide additional assistance beyond what the warranty strictly allows. And if the first CS rep is not helpful, call back and talk with another one. Sometimes it depends on who you talk to, so keep trying. And let us know how it turns out.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2010 7:52:43 PM PDT
K. Urban says:
Just to let everyone know. Don't knock Amazon. My screen looks like someone smashed it with a hammer (they didn't) a big "crack' with radiating lines and the picture frozen on it. I called amazon, explained what it looked like and that I didn't drop it, but i do have a two year old that might have messed with it while i was at work. They didn't even seem to care about my explanation just said that I was still within 1 year of purchasing and that they have a policy that the kindle should survive a five foot drop with no protection and so if the screen is cracked (even if it was my "fault") and still within 1 year of purchase they just send you a new one. I called at 900pm today (saturday) and the new one will arrive tuesday. all i have to do is return the damaged one within 30 days they were very nice and the whole phone call took all of 5 minutes. Try calling them before you bash them. I am VERY satisfied, I feel this is something that they didn't have to do but will definitely continue to ensure my future business!!!!
As a side note I also have one of the lock in covers. and my outer rim did crack some time ago but it wasn't a big deal to me, maybe that is what casued the sreen damage I don't know. Other than that i am pretty rough on it and haven't had any problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2010 8:07:28 PM PDT
Hi there, thanks for the comment! My issue is that this screen issue is a known problem, I haven't been rough on it at all, and even though my Kindle is two years old, since this is a known problem I was looking for more than a discounted original Kindle from Amazon. And what irritated me even more was when the guy on the phone offered me an original Kindle for $70 or $80, I asked him, "So this is a refurbished Kindle?" And he said, "It is a highly tested Kindle." I asked again, "Is this refurbished?" Response: "It is highly tested." I asked: "Is this new or used?" Answer: "It is not new." Really, is Amazon now training folks to say "highly tested" instead of "refurbished and highly tested'? Can we stop trying to obfuscate things for folks? Anyway, glad you're getting a new one, I am planning to call them back and see if I have better luck!

Posted on Sep 11, 2010 11:14:20 PM PDT
My screen frame cracked almost immediately because of the known issue (but unknown to me) with the DX cover (if it accidently is opened from the back). They were very accomodating about taking it back, said they'd send me a "new" one, but the one I got had paperwork with it saying it was refurbished. I was shocked, but didn't have the energy to protest (though I had hoped I'd get one of the new, much cheaper ones :) ) but it has been working just fine, so I guess it was "highly tested". Oh well, life's too short to sweat this kind of stuff. It works. I'm happily reading away on it...

Posted on Sep 19, 2010 9:52:49 PM PDT
I just cracked my 3rd kindle. I am FURIOUS with Amazon. I am NOT hard on my devices. I have had the same cellphone for 4 years, iPod for 3. Both of them have cases, I have a laptop that is 3 years old. All in perfect condition. I bought my kindle to consolidate my library, make it more portable.

The first one fell from my bed. NOT five feet. I called amazon and they sent me a replacement next day. GREAT! I figured it was a fluke, maybe it fell just right.

The second one broke inside my purse. I placed it in my purse after class, took it home to return to my book to find my screen cracked. My phone, my iTouch, and Makeup (eyeshadow, powder, etc) were in the same purse. If my powder compact wont break, my kindle shouldn't. Regardless, They replaced it, next day.

I just broke the third one today. I placed it in my backpack with my laptop and two paperback textbooks. I get home, and what do you know? Its broken! I called amazon, and they offered me a replacement, for $90 bucks. I laughed so hard I cried. I replaced two of these, there are forums all over the internet about how crappy these fragile things are, and they want me to pay for a NEW one?

And hey, Luis Limon, I don't know many companies that will replace something out of warranty. But I know Apple has, when faced with a similar problem. I know that many companies will offer you the option to purchase the extended warranty to replace it. Which is a much better deal, considering that these things are cheap pieces of crap. This isn't one person being mad because amazon wont replace their kindle.

I hope someone sues the pants off Amazon for cheating people.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2010 3:47:04 AM PDT
I have had mine since 12\10 and it just cracked 2 days ago due to the cover. Amazon replaced the whole thing and gave me a 50 credit for a new cover..
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  189
Total posts:  255
Initial post:  Jul 6, 2009
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2014

Search Customer Discussions