Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 4, 2011 1:26:46 PM PST
Claxon,Bill says:
does the kindle version contain the added 50,000 words as the paperback version boasts?

Posted on Jan 23, 2011 6:37:10 AM PST
the kindle version is identical to the paperback edition with the same cover picture in content.
Checking against the equivalent number of pages, it's some 80 pages shorter than the current paperback edition (which has a different cover too), but identical to the current mass market paperback edition.

Whether those 80 pages amount to 50k words I don't know :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2011 4:27:15 PM PDT
Noel says:
The sample would indicate that the Kindle version is the 1961 version, which starts, "Once upon a time, there was a Martian named Valentine Michael Smith."

The unexpurgated version begins, "Once upon a time when the world was young, there was a Martian named Valentine Michael Smith."

So, I don't think the Kindle version really IS the full version. That's the version I'd like to buy, but I can't be sure, so they're not getting a sale from me until I can be.

Posted on Oct 4, 2011 2:12:00 PM PDT
Tau says:
I have both the uncut and the 1961 cut version in paper. The Kindle version is the cut version. I wish the uncut version was available on the Kindle, can not even request it - they have the versions lumped together!

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 2:00:48 PM PST
The original 1961 version is best, his wife said she wanted the uncut version released and that is what happened, almost the rough draft. The expanded version is repetitious and padded and makes very explicit scenes not shown in the book. If you want to learn how to edit get both and start marking up the long version to see how to make a story propel the reader forward. The Kindle is the 1961 version.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Jan 4, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Stranger in a Strange Land
Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein (Paperback - March 14, 2005)
4.1 out of 5 stars (1,303)