Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: kodak 115 3659 Tri-X 400 Professional 120 Black and White Film 5 Roll Propack
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on January 20, 2013
Tri-X needs no review among real film-based photographers. It has a smooth scale, prints beautifully, was a favorite of Ansel Adams's and many others. I have used this film for 30 years (I typically rate it at ASA200 and then pull the processing -1/2 stop based on my equipment, my metering, etc.). Film-based photographers panic every time Kodak says they're going to stop making Tri-X. And we fear having only one source.

This particular version is for medium-format cameras (not 35mm!). If you don't know what that is, don't buy the film.

I love Amazon, but I do worry about how the film might be stored. If you buy it in a camera store, they know to keep it cool. I worry that Amazon might store it in a hot warehouse with books and all kinds of other products not bothered by heat. Camera stores keep most in a refrigerated area and just put a few rolls out at a time. Mostly I buy it in my local camera store--you should too if you still have one that sells film. That said, I'm buying it this time to round out my purchase and get the free shipping because I know I'll use it. If I find it heat-fogged, I'll come back and write another review.
on April 18, 2014
Digital may have cornered the photographic market, but this has always been the film of choice for speed, contrast, and the remarkably unique look that only Tri-X can provide. It can be processed in just about any developer from D-76 and HC-110 to Rodinal or even instant coffee. Incredibly versatile and forgiving. A photog can make a wild guess at exposure and generally get a printable negative. It captures life as it really is. Sharp. Gritty. Genuine. Real.

Digital images just can't replicate it.
on February 12, 2014
I don't want to say that digital isn't worth it, but take an old camera (you may need some photographic knowledge for this (GASP!)), shoot a roll of Tri-X and enjoy the results. Dynamic range, contrast, greater light sensitivity and just a better overall look and feel. That is why I shoot film and that is why I buy Tri-X.
on June 4, 2015
A true classic. Great film with a wide dynamic range. If you're looking for a traditional B&W look this is the film to buy. I develop in D76 with excellent results. HP5+ is also very close to this film in look. Tri-X seems to be getting more rare or at least more expensive in the past few months. If you're into hoarding now might be a good time to buy 5 or 20 packs of this film.
review image
on March 15, 2013
Tri-X is a fantastic film that I have been using for many years. I have used this in my Hasselblad, and also playing with vintage cameras. Either way its a great film. A lot of photographers find their own way of getting the results they want either by adjusting what they are doing in camera, or adjusting the development times. I am a cooler and longer processing time girl myself. Pros can get great results with this film as can people who have just picked up a camera. I find the tonality range is absolutely perfect from the deepest blacks to the purest whites. I worked as a darkroom printer for over a decade and this is still my favorite black and white film to work with.
I moved for NYC a couple years ago where I always purchased my film from BH Photo, after leaving NYC 120 film was harder to find. I started ordering it from Amazon and have never had an issue with the quality or freshness of the film. I'm thrilled they carry here.
on March 13, 2015
About the only thing Kodak can still do right (my opinion, of course). Even though it has been reformulated several times, this is still good ol' Tri-X. Works as it should and the image quality is nothing short of outstanding. I run this stuff through everything from a Holga to a Bronica ETR and the results are always great. (Well, in the case of the Holga, "Great" might be the wrong word.)
on October 7, 2014
That may sound like hyperbole, and it needs qualification, but overall it remains true. This is not the finest grained, or the fastest, or the highest contrast film available. But it is a solid, dependable, consistent, and beautiful film that should be tried by anyone interested in film photography. It can be pushed up to 1600ISO (my own experience) with reasonable results. It has a classic look, and all the greats used it at one time or another (Salgado shot almost entirely with this film).

Highly recommended.
on June 19, 2014
400TX is great film. I shoot it in my Mamiya RB67 and process it at home in my darkroom. I very slightly prefer Ilford's range of B&W films more, and that's the only reason I don't give this a five star rating. If you have 400TX it will do you well and give you great shots. It's really easy to work with: I overprocessed a roll so bad that I could barely make out an image on the negatives once but was still able to get a whole lot of detail out in lightroom.
on October 28, 2013
Great film for general every-day use.

I develop my own B&W at home (I highly suggest it if you don't, it's not as scary as it sounds) and this is my favorite film to use. It looks great for any look you're going for. It can be high contrast, harsh grain, or gentle contrast smooth grain. Very nice rendition of highlights and shadows.

Also fantastic for push processing. I'd rather shoot this film at ASA 1600 and push two stops in developing than shoot a native ASA 1600 film.
on September 17, 2014
Great classic film, was good for my purposes as I had been away from film photography for decades so I wanted something I knew (from undergrad) which is virtually fool-proof in its processing. Gave me confidence to break into other film types.