Is latex safe for babies? Is Sophie safe for baby if mom has a latex sensitivity?
asked by Kelly R. Delong on September 25, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 answers
A
votes
Aslong as no one who would come into contact with the toy has a latex allergy, as mentioned above. Also, remember that European standards for safety in children's products (and also toiletries) are much more stringent then even the USA. For ex. they discontinued the use of BPA and parabens in products years prior to the U.S. even having paraben and BPA free products readily available. Consequently, Sophie being a European toy, should far exceed the safety standards of many products out there. :)
M. schowe answered on January 15, 2011

A
vote
No way! Mom wouldn't be able to hold it. I have a friend whose latex allergy just got worse. She was putting her daughter's hair in a ponytail with a rubber band and her throat started closing up.
A. Miller answered on February 21, 2011

A
vote
Actually early exposure does cause allergies, I have spina bifda and because I was exposed to so much latex as a child because of medical procedures I developed an allergy. I would not risk exposing my daughter to latex.
Amy Manchester answered on January 7, 2012

A
vote
I know that early exposure to food allergens can reduce the risk of developing allergies, but as a healthcare professional I do not believe the same holds true for latex allergies. Continuous and recurrent exposure to latex will in most cases cause a latex allergy. Ask anyone who's child has been hospitalized repeatedly. As a nurse, I developed a sensitivity to latex just due to glove usage until my hospital (like most nowdays) switched to nitrile gloves. I find this toy bizarre, along with the natural latex nipples. My doctor has advised me to not use these products with my kids.
N. Mawyer answered on September 27, 2011

A
votes
Sophie would be safe for baby, but would not be safe for mom. Just because a parent has an allergy, doesn't mean the baby has or will have it. Early exposure to allergens decreases the risk of allergies.
Earthnut answered on January 14, 2011

A
votes
Aslong as no one who would come into contact with the toy has a latex allergy, as mentioned above. Also, remember that European standards for safety in children's products (and also toiletries) are much more stringent then even the USA. For ex. they discontinued the use of BPA and parabens in products years prior to the U.S. even having paraben and BPA free products readily available. Consequently, Sophie being a European toy, should far exceed the safety standards of many products out there. :)
M. schowe answered on January 15, 2011

A
votes
Well it's odd to think the mom wouldn't be in contact with what the baby is chewing, so probably not a good idea, unless it is used solely for visits with other family, friends or baby sitter.
Catherine J. Walter answered on January 29, 2011

A
votes
I have a latex sensitivity and my baby got a Sophie as a gift. We use it, but I wash my hands afterwards. Two years ago when I worked daycare the Sophies that some of the kids had bothered me (red, itchy skin) but I haven't had a problem thus far with ours. It all depends on the degree of the sensitivity and if you're willing to take the risk. I know everyone is just nuts about Sophie, but there are other good teethers out there!
crunchymomfwin answered on July 29, 2011

A
votes
http://sophiegiraffeusa.wordpress.com/ this is what I found on her safety... sorry I hope it helps. I am allergic to pineapple to the point I carry an Epi Pen because it can kill me. My Ped. Told me that it doesn't mean my children will be that allergies don't work that way. And they are not.
Big Shopper answered on December 31, 2011

A
votes
This is not always true. I have a sensitivity to latex, but it is very mild and location based. I can wear latex bandages on my legs/arms but not on my face or chest area. There is a difference between a sensitivity and an allergy. At least that is what my doctor explained to me when I had a broken ankle and put "latex allergy" on my paperwork. I can handle wearing latex gloves for maybe an hour or so. My sensitivity has not gotten any worse from the exposure. I am ordering this for my son so I will report back if I find differently.
K. D. Crapsey answered on January 15, 2012
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›