Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > The Beatles Anthology forum

lennon and mccartney voice peaked on what album

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 22, 2010 2:11:34 PM PDT
lennon peaked on rubber soul, listen to the song girl, you almost get the chills. mccartney peaked much later, let it be album and the song i've got a feeling

Posted on Aug 6, 2010 5:48:50 PM PDT
Cozyjo says:
To me, there was no one period where John or Paul "peaked". From their earlier stuff to the very end, they always sounded great to me. To say that John's vocal on gems like "I Should Have Known Better" or "Twist and Shout" and Paul's vocal on "I'm Down" or "Yesterday" were inferior to anything done after is a disservice to their immense talents.

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 8:20:35 AM PST
Eric Hawley says:
John- around 1970 with the Plastic Ono Band. Paul- '79 Wings tour- though both were still good after.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 11:40:39 AM PDT
DKPete says:
Cool thread idea.

As far as getting chills, I have to go with Lennon's vocal performance on A Day In The Life; in terms of expression and voice control (in conjunction with the echo effect), I feel this track is his finest moment as a Beatle vocalist..so he definitely had a ways to go beyond the Rubber Soul period.

For sheer energy (Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Yer Blues)combined with that emotional tenderness he often displayed (Julia), he excells on The White Album which, I feel, is his peak moment, overall, as a vocalist. This isn't to say he wasn't good on various levels afterwards, but he never surpassed this period (add to it vocals from songs such as Hey Bulldog and Revolution from the same year).

Paul did not peak within the Beatle years. He basically kept getting better and better until the mid-seventies. The very first indication of a strained rasp in his voice is on the title track of Venus and Mars..and, although he still continued to have one of the finest voices in Rock, the rasp became more and more evident in the live performances (listen to any live performance of Coming Up or Maybe I'm Amazed) and it's quite present throughout Back To The Egg.

That said, he had quite a few "good years" ahead of him both in terms of the studio and live performances but the very best were behind him.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Apr 22, 2010
Latest post:  Sep 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about