Is this lens a good fit for Nikon D3100? Hi,
I have a Nikon D3100 with the 18-55mm lens. I want to take pictures of my kids playing sports as well as at sporting events ( where I am not very closed to the action). So will this Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR a good fit? Thanks!
asked by ShotMaker on July 7, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 answers
A
This is a great lens as long as there is enough lighting, including artificial light. Once you're working in dim lighting conditions, this lens is weak for that. For dim conditions, use lenses that come with F stops such as 1.4, 1.8, 2.0, or 2.8. This lens is 3.5+ which means it is just so so in its ability to gather light.

Just as in any tool, each has it's strengths and weaknesses. This lens will give you some good reach in a light and inexpensive package.
David L. answered on September 22, 2011
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Yes it'll work, it has the built-in AF motor.
R. Carroll answered on July 12, 2011
Comment | 6 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
So if I'm taking family photos in well-lit natural light, is this lens appropriate? Should I look at something less spendy?
A. Collins answered on July 13, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
For low lighting situations try the Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras. It's a prime lens so you will have to use your feet to zoom.
P. Strong answered on October 17, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Just learn how to turn af on and off with switch on side of lens
David I. Berry answered on July 13, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
55-200mm with the 18-55mm or only the 18-105mm? Which would be the better buy?
thanks
Zweiteliebe answered on October 18, 2011

A
I would chose the 55-200mmm, 18-55mm combo because of the extra 95mm on the 55-200. I've been in situations with the 55-200 and needed extra distance. I ended up buying th 70-300mm VR, which is a great lens.
P. Strong answered on October 18, 2011
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product