Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

So, you like Eric or Bill . . . but what other fictional males do you like?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 162 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 27, 2011 10:36:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2011 10:55:35 PM PDT
J. Collier says:
Who are your favorites? Supernatural or otherwise. Who do you think is most like Eric? Bill?

Not only am I insatiably curious about which characters are favored by the two shipper factions, I'm always on the lookout for books/series to add to my reading list. :)

I'll start with my favorite supernaturals of late (not all of whom are love interests):

Tybalt (October Daye)
Pritkin (Cassandra Palmer)
Qhuinn, Blay, John Matthew, V (Black Dagger Brotherhood)
Jean-Claude, Nathaniel, Jason (Anita Blake)
Harry, Thomas (Dresden Files)
Terrible (Downside Ghosts)
Barrons, Christian (Fever)
Curran (Kate Daniels)
Algaliarept, Jenks, Kisten :'(, Trent (Rachel Morgan)
Vlad, Bones (Night Huntress)
Anyan (Jane True)
Niall, Irial (Wicked Lovely)
Greyfriar (Vampire Empire)
Jace, Magnus (The Mortal Instruments)
Constantine (Sunshine)

Most like Eric: Probably Jean-Claude or Bones.

Most like Bill: Um . . . none of the above? LOL. Okay, maybe Harry . . . a little bit. And I think Bill fans might say Greyfriar or Constantine. Maybe.

Posted on Oct 28, 2011 7:21:11 AM PDT
cmh says:
I was just wondering about this the other day, but didn't know what thread on which to post the question. Eric would come at the top of my list, for sheer joie de vivre, with Bones following. Curran and Barrons excel in the smouldering dep't, and Adam from Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series is endearing. Stefan is intriguing from the same series, and I think PB mentioned he might get his own short story someday. Charles from her Alpha Omega series is intense. Also, Jamie Fraser will always have a piece of my heart. Eric reminds me of my sweetheart, and I've rarely enjoyed a fictional character more.

I tried the Chloe Neill series, based on CH's rec, but have taken subsequent recs with a grain of salt since being let down and irritated with how juvenile and pat CN's stories seemed to me. I really don't understand the rave reviews for the Chicagoland series. Have tried Maryjanice Davidson's Undead series, but have a hard time caring much about the paper thin characters.

I just started getting into the urban fantasy/ supernatural genre (besides Outlander, which I discovered last year) last June, when I read DUD and was instantly hooked. One of my favorite series heroines is Mercy Phillips. I like how comfortable she is in her own skin, and how she trusts her instincts. I've been reading the series slowly, trying not to skim ahead, and reading other books between, to prolong finishing it.

Thanks for sharing your faves- I'll have to look some of them up.

Posted on Oct 28, 2011 10:11:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2011 1:09:54 PM PDT
J. Collier says:
Eric used to be at the top of my list, too, but I think he's moved down a few notches now . . . below Tybalt, anyway. He personifies cats so very well, and Seanan McGuire is a talented writer with a gift for both wonderful characters and engaging storylines.

I've read and enjoyed Mercy, too, so I like Adam and Stefan. I agree with your assessment of Chloe Neill's series. I did like Ethan, but I've put that series on hold, at least until she's finished with it. Also agree about MJD's Undead series. I thought the first several books were fun, but it's almost painful to read now.

I'm currently listening my way through the Outlander series. I just finished Voyager, and I would certainly put Jamie on my favorites list, and I like Fergus too. Now I'll have to think outside of UF/PR for some other favorites. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2011 11:15:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2011 11:23:02 AM PDT
cmh says:
Below Eric? Now I'm really intrigued with Tybalt :) Spent the better part of an hour looking up the authors you referenced, and am excited to find some new series. Sorry I can't return the favor, but as I said, I'm new to this genre. If any good recs come to mind, I'll be sure to post.

I've been tempted to write my own review of complaints about the Chloe Neill series, just to get it out of my system, and warn others, but am reluctant to rip up someone's work. I found it very frustrating though. Merit's bff's were interchangeable - I had to check the names to remember which one was talking to her. Also, Ethan's constant eye-rolling put him in teen territory for me, despite their weird stuffy older guy- obnoxious teen dynamic. It was as if CN had to constantly dwell on his looks just to remind you he was supposed to be sexy. Although I am curious how she's going to pull him back into the story. Also, Merit seemed like too much of a MarySue to me. Eric Sinclair in the Undead series started out promising, but then seemed to exist just to adore Betsy.

A YA novel I really enjoyed was The Perilous Gard, by Elizabeth Marie Pope, about a young woman who lived during Elizabethan times and was exiled from Princess Elizabeth's household to a far corner of the kingdom where the fae were struggling to maintain a foothold. Short, but vivid. Also, Neil Garman's The Graveyard Book- another CH rec, was excellent.

Posted on Oct 28, 2011 3:50:36 PM PDT
GatorGirl says:
@ J.Collier..
I am new to this "genre" so I'm afraid I didn't know most of those characters..but I appreciate the list so that I can look for 'em at my library. I really wanted to try the J.Frost series but unfortunately it seems my library doesn't have any. :( What I did notice was the name Jace and Magnus. I have read the Mortal Instruments series....(I've always been a little embarrassed to admit it since they are YA, but I fell in love with the first book because of this other world C.Clare created.) though I am at the point now that I was frustrated with the latest book in the series. But I agree with you that my fav's from those books are Jace and Magnus. Magnus is a great character....

wonder if you're interested in the movie that they're making based on the books? I won't go pay theater prices but will rent it when it comes out on DVD.

Posted on Oct 28, 2011 8:28:49 PM PDT
J. Collier -great list!

I agree with you on a few. Eric, of course, then Vlad, Bones and Ian. In the Cassie Palmer books I like both Mircea and Pritkin but I love Marco( and yes Cassanova is cool) Barrons, yes! yes! yes! And Harry Dresden! ALso love Adam and Stefan in the Mercy Thompson books. I do love Chicagoland vamps but I know what you are saying cmh! Some things are irritating and juvenile but I do love Ethan, version 1. Hopefully I'll like version 2 because I think he'll be back, just not sure how and if I'll believe it. Oh and in the Grave Witch series by Kalayna Price I love Death!

Posted on Oct 28, 2011 9:59:24 PM PDT
Kira says:
Are the Cassie Palmer books good? I'm half way through reading the first one, and I'm finding it hard to get into. It seems like a lot of the scenes don't flow very well and I'm not feeling much of a connection to any of the characters. I am interested in checking out some of the other books that have been mentioned. I'm new to this genre.

Posted on Oct 28, 2011 10:04:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2011 10:05:42 PM PDT
RachelGreen says:
Great post J.C!
I have a close crop at the top, a group that stay there and one is dead, dead, but he still holds a place :`(... In no order
Barrons, Eric, Jean-Claude & Kisten ~ my mainstay man favs (hey someone make that a T-shirt) AND new to my fav list Terrible!! :)
The others I have read are all hunky and great characters but never packed the same punch with me. But I do like ~ Bones, Trent, Curran (somewhat cause it seems he's the weaker of the pair and it kinda turns me off on that) Algaliarept, Death, Vlad.
I'll put Jenks in his own little place... ;)

Posted on Oct 29, 2011 6:59:43 AM PDT
Lochlain...A Hunger Like No Other, K Cole
Bowen....Wicked Deeds On A Winter Night, K. Cole
Roarke, (Human!!!!)....In Death series, JD Robb

Posted on Oct 29, 2011 8:14:55 AM PDT
J. Collier says:
Yes, Tybalt is my new fave. I've been rereading the October Daye series before I read One Salt Sea (I'm sooooo far behind), and I've been enjoying him all over again. :)

I can also recommend Neil Gaiman. Not just The Graveyard Book . . . anything. He's a wonderful writer.

I read all kinds of genres, including YA . . . there are lots of great books that just happen to be YA. I also thought the fourth The Mortal Instruments book was a bit of a retread. Still, I like quirky, even flamboyant, characters and Magnus is definitely that. ;) I'm always kind of nervous any time someone makes a movie (or TV show) out of books I like--and apparently there are adaptations of several of the books/series I've read in the works (Fever, The Hollows, Incarceron, etc.), not just The Mortal Instruments. I think the next to hit the theaters is Stephanie Plum (One for the Money), and it looks promising.

I like Kalayna Price's Death, also . . . and even though I didn't list him, I do like Cassandra Palmer's Mircea. I don't usually like love triangles (particularly when they're dragged out), but Palmer does a good job of keeping both Mircea and Pritkin likable and interesting, but still complex and imperfect. It took me a while to become accustomed to Chance's frenetic pace, and the first few books had action sequences that were a little hard to follow, but I kept reading, and the characters won me over.

I also like Robb's In Death series--and Roarke--but it's going to take me years to get caught up with that series. The woman (J.D. Robb/Nora Roberts) writes like a fiend! LOL.

Thanks for all the recommendations! I'll have to check out Elizabeth Marie Pope, and Kresley Cole is on my reading list somewhere . . . I just haven't gotten to her yet. :)

Posted on Oct 29, 2011 8:24:28 AM PDT
saucy78 says:
J.R.Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood Series.All the guys have their own book/stories.My favorite brother is "Rhage" .

Posted on Oct 29, 2011 10:18:12 AM PDT
I agree about the Cassie Palmer books and now the other series about Dory. The chase/action scenes are just too much so I really skim through those but like J.Collier said it's the characters that I love.

I also like Roarke but I've only read a few books.It's a series I can pick up or put down at any time.

@RGreen, yeah someone else who has read Kalayna Price. So far I haven't found anyone else who has. I still remember when I finished the first book and I put it down and thought she's going to have a love triangle with Death! WHo'd have thought it?

Posted on Nov 3, 2011 6:28:59 PM PDT
Oh Yes says:
I just saw this!

Eric of course
Bones & Ian (JF)
Jamie - but I love wee Ian too (DG)
Jean Claude, Jason & Asher if he isn't whinny (Anita Blake)
Kisten, Trent & of course Jenks (KH) Although I am only 2 books in so supposedly AL is gonna be in the list too!
Vichous & Rhage (BDB)
Dorian (Swan Series)
Curran (Illona Andrews)
Barrons - need I say more
Adam & Stephan (PB)
Joe & Ranger (JE) - sorry they are not PF

That is all I can think of right now, big stable - but I know there are more.
Pritkin & Mircea (Cassie Palmer)

Posted on Nov 3, 2011 7:10:58 PM PDT
cmh says:
Am reading the Vampire Empire books now, and I love the Greyfriar. Bought a few of the other series on ebay and here, Jane True, October Daye, Rachel Morgan and Kim Harrison, so that should keep me until some more sequels come out. It seems to be the only downside of this genre, having to wait for the sequels. I'm glad I'm coming to it kind of late- it seems to have started taking off in the mid 2000's.
I peeked at the October Daye books, and Tybalt sounds intriguing, but it looks like the author is taking her time with their relationship. He does have a very feline air of insouciance and mischief that I recognize from my own beloved furry friends. Although the Court of Cats thing kind of defeats my imagination. On what important affairs of state would cat-fairies be consulted? Not that I don't love the idea, cats are just so independent.

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 9:40:39 AM PST
I got a gem of a book for my kindle...Love is Darkness (Valerie Dearborn) by Caroline Hanson. Lucas was a lot like Eric. I will be following this series.

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 7:03:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2011 7:27:47 AM PST
Yay! I love this topic...I have to agree with a lot of what was said in the original post, Rachael, Oh Yes, however, here's a few that have not yet been mentioned:
Eric of course (I'm Mrs E)however, I would have an affair with
Zsadist (Lover Awakened)he's such a male of worth. He and Eric are tied at this point...lol
Deep (Brides of Kindred) He is raw and he talks dirty love it!
Xarin (Brides of Kindred)He is sweet, but when it comes to love making very dominate *panting*
Tegan (Midnight Breed)I just think Tegan is so sexy and pure Alpha male
Brock (Midnight Breed) he can take away your pain and steal your heart
Hunter(Midnight Breed)he is loyal and a protectorate
Vishous (Lover Unbound)he is just V. What can I say *swoon*
Zane (Scanguards) he is bald, sexy and mysterious
Wow..I see a pattern here. I like the fearless, emotionless, tortured soul, and downright almost scary alpha male. The bad boys are my favorite! I guess it started with the fairy tale beauty and the beast when I was a kid, better him than prince charming...lol

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 4:58:41 PM PST
Oh Yes says:
Oh and Ethan from Chloe Neill - Yahoooooooo!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2011 10:11:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2011 4:03:48 PM PST
Barrons. . . interesting. I've read the Fever series, so I can see why.

Barrons' methods did come off as quite abusive to me. Is it forgiveable because he is another species? Or because he comes from another world? ETA: Or because of the nature of the threat necessitates that he toughen up Mac?

Barrons was certainly not forthcoming about his background, or his motivations. What did he do later on in the series that make readers forgive his earlier lack of disclosure?

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 7:59:59 PM PST
cmh says:
Barrons was a little too taciturn and somber to be one of my favorites, but that was the overall mood of the series, and I did think he was vivid and interesting. I liked the "interview" KMM did of him on her site, very characterisic. He basically grew on me, esp when he brought Mac out of her priya state, and afterward let his walls down more with her. I think at a certain point, it was her not responding to him.

I don't know if anyone here is into historical romance/adventure stories, but following a rec by Ilona Andrews for a fellow author, I discovered Joanna Bourne this week, who also comes highly recommended by Diana Gabaldon. JB writes espionage adventures set in the aftermath of the French Revolution, with some kick-ass French heroines and sexy British heroes. I picked up The Spymaster's Lady yesterday when I came home from work, and could barely put it down to walk my dog and grab a bite to eat. Very original writing. Elizabeth Stuart is also good with historicals.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2011 8:05:03 PM PST
cmh says:
Stepping out on Eric! You are not worthy- I will be the next Mrs. January, thank-you. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2011 10:25:16 PM PST
Thanks for your thoughts on Barrons, cmh, and for the recommendation on Joanna Bourne. I'll have to check her out. Diana Gabaldon is one of my all time favorite authors--I immerse myself in the world she's created, and Claire Fraser feels almost like an alter ego to me.

I agree that Barrons and Mac grew on me and eventually "worked" in the ruthless world painted by KMM.

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 9:10:44 AM PST
RachelGreen says:
""Barrons' methods did come off as quite abusive to me. Is it forgiveable because he is another species?""

This is confusing coming from someone who favors Bill (in the SVM) and defends his abusive actions towards Sookie as 'not his fault". Hmmm... IDK..?/?

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 1:44:42 PM PST
That's true RG. The BIG difference ( well one of many) between Bill and Barrons is that Barrons OWNS his actions. He doesn't make excuses or apologies!

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 4:18:55 PM PST
Oh Yes says:
Ms. Marc, not true - Bill doesn't make apologies either.

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 4:52:58 PM PST
Bill complied with his Queens orders. Big whoop. Why did he need to apologize for doing what he was ordered to do? As for Eric, he's a vamp politician. IOW, he's a slippery liar! LOL
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  18
Total posts:  162
Initial post:  Oct 27, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood, Book 11)
Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood, Book 11) by Charlaine Harris (Hardcover - May 3, 2011)
3.5 out of 5 stars (1,344)