Unbroken
Used & New from: $15.99
If you liked Unbroken, you'll love .... So I just finished Unbroken and am looking for my next book. Other than the obvious Seabiscuit or Devil at my Heels, what other books would you recommend to someone who enjoyed this? I am looking for survival, non-fiction, adventure. Maybe lost at sea, stranded, tales of Mt. Everest, or other adventure, war stories, etc.

What other similar books have you read that you can't put down?
asked by Chris Hackett on January 7, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 236 answers
A
votes
Chris-Read Empire of the Summer Moon, a true story of the American West. You won't be disappointed. Dora Gal.
Dora Gal answered on January 7, 2011

A
votes
skeletons in the desert....dean king
ghost soldiers.....hampton sides
a long way gone...ismael baeh
annapurna....maurice herzog
into the void....jow simpson
into africa...story of stanley and livingstone.
kon tiki
perry rubenstein answered on January 7, 2011

A
votes
A military autobiography of WWII I really like is With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by Eugene Sledge. It is not a "life" story like Unbroken but focuses on Sledge's time in the Marines. Devil at my Heels is well worth reading too. I liked it better than Unbroken but both are great books.
Robert Sweeney answered on January 9, 2011

A
votes
The Things they Carried by Tim O'Brien. Great book about the emotional baggage the soldiers carry with them in Vietnam War. Highly reccommend it and it is under $6.
Rhonda Makoske answered on January 9, 2011

A
votes
The Killer Angels. It's historical fiction, but it provides a great fact-based reconstruction of the Battle of Ghettysburg. Even though it's fiction, and the words and emotions of the characters had to be inferred, the book was well researched and has an engrossing quality similar to that of Unbroken.
BleedingHeartRN answered on January 8, 2011

A
votes
Endurance by Alfred Lansing. To me, the greatest story of survival.
Michael D. Gaudet answered on January 10, 2011

A
votes
Touching the Void, by Joe Simpson. Two mountain climbers in the remote Andes, a terrible accident, and an impossible decision by one of the men. Riveting, harrowing, and ultimately uplifting.
quiltnsoap answered on January 11, 2011

A
votes
"Empire of the Summer Moon" is the first book that came to mind. Wonderful and authentic! I try to tell everyone about it!
Suzanne
Suzyann answered on January 9, 2011

A
votes
I've not read it yet, but Shackleton looks good, as does the Bedford Boys (story of soldiers from Bedford VA, which lost 20 boys on D-Day.)
Ian R. Hastings answered on January 9, 2011

A
votes
Band of Brothers is an exceptional account of World War II paratroopers.
Gigi answered on January 12, 2011
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   ...   24   Next ›