Customer Discussions > BioShock Infinite - Xbox 360 forum

A little early for a pre order.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 19, 2010 9:06:36 AM PDT
Yes Bioshock 1 and 2 are awsome. Yes we would love to get our hands on the third installment. But 16 months is beyond early for a preorder. 16 months is also way too far away for me to even get excited about the game. Let me know 4 months before it comes out and then I can get excited about the game.

Posted on Aug 19, 2010 9:32:48 AM PDT
I don't understand the point you were trying to make, Troy. Could you please explain?

I pre-ordered as soon as I saw the announcement on G4 a week or so ago, just because the series has established enough credibility with me that I expect to enjoy it. I do the same thing with the anything having to do with Lara Croft (Tomb Raider), Final Fantasy, or Uncharted on the PS3. If a genre or series has built enough credibility, I don't understand why it would be too early to pre-order the announced title.

There are a couple of incentives to pre-ordering that make it more appealing for me to pre-order, though. The most enticing is the pre-order guarantee. If the price goes down, I get the game at the lowest price between the time I ordered and the time the game ships. The best part? If the price goes back up, it doesn't affect me! I also get to place my order while the title is fresh in my mind and stop thinking about it! No midnight release parties for me - I'm just not interested. Lastly, if I change my mind about the game after seeing some previews, I always have the option of canceling my order. Since Amazon doesn't charge me until they ship it, I was never out any money to begin with. It's different than making a pre-order with the brick and mortar locations that require a $5 deposit on a pre-order, in my opinion.

Anyway, Troy, thanks in advance for explaining why you feel like a year and a half is too early to pre-order a game! I'm really interested in your answer!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2010 4:10:00 AM PDT
Snappy says:
Who even knows if they will be employed in Dec 2012? Who knows if the bank you use your debit card from will still be around? Who knows if the 360 format will still be here? Will I be alive? Hmmm, think I'll wait until maybe July 2012 to preorder.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2010 7:30:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 29, 2010 7:33:08 PM PDT
A. Virtue says:
@Snappy-So I also assume you don't put any money in your retirement plan also, and you never pay anyone back if you borrow something, because you can die and it wouldn't matter...If you pre-ordered it and died, That would make NO difference to anything, since you would be dead. So why bother with anything? The format is always going to advance, so even if they make another console, I'm still going to want to play this anyway.

Posted on Sep 3, 2010 5:18:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 3, 2010 5:19:50 AM PDT
I'm excited about the game but, I'll wait for a Collector's Edition in 2011 or 2012.

Posted on Sep 22, 2010 11:04:13 AM PDT
Need to get excited, check out: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/09/10-minute-bioshock-infinite-trailer-hallucinatory-beautiful.ars

Posted on Oct 5, 2010 1:02:47 AM PDT
ChristoboL says:
I guess everyone is forgetting that the world be be over before this game comes out.
http://www.endoftheworld2012.net/

Spend your money before 12-21-12

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2010 3:53:56 AM PDT
I certainly hope you are joking... I'm going to be laughing so hard on 01/01/2013 at all of the fools who actually believe in that crap and can't pay their bills.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2010 8:21:22 AM PDT
waagtod says:
I think he means that 16 months from now the game will be pushed back. I mean, on time delivery is almost meaningless in the video game industry. I put a preorder in for Max Payne 3 almost 1 3/4 years ago for release in 2 months and it STILL isn't out. Who knows whether or not they will want or need the game at that late date? Heck, you might even have different console by then and here shows up this game you forgot you ordered. 16 months is way,way too long to preorder!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2010 5:32:28 PM PDT
Thanks for the feedback, waagtod. I appreciate your position, but I disagree. I have not had the same experience with my pre-order history, and quite enjoy the savings I have made when the price fluctuates. To each their own, I suppose. I have only once bought a title for a system when it was no longer the newest system on the market, and that was Final Fantasy XII - not made for the PS3 even though the PS3 was released. The major game companies have demonstrated that the next generation of consoles should not be expected anytime soon anyway, hence the release of Kinect and Move.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2010 5:56:09 AM PST
waagtod says:
Just a thought, maybe the next major console will come from someone OTHER than the big three. Inovation will not wait for the establishment.

Posted on Nov 17, 2010 1:25:23 PM PST
That possibility exists, to be sure, but it is so remote that it isn't worth considering. The research and development required for new technology far exceeds what non-established companies possess. Even if a company were able to cobble together a new game system, they would have nothing to show developers that would entice them to program software for their hardware unless they could create the software themselves. The bottom line for developers is the ability to turn a profit. Spending money developing content for a brand new console developed by a company that has no market share is simply not in their economic interests. It is for that reason that Sony was able to introduce the PlayStation and Microsoft the Xbox. Both companies had the requisite knowledge, proficiency, and resources to craft and support their own technology. Kraft might produce some excellent mac 'n' cheese, but they do not have the skill set required to compete on any level in the hardware/software arena.

You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but pre-ordering from Amazon (even years in advance) has always proven to be a good thing in my experience. At this point, it appears that you are trying to rationalize your opinion and I have little chance of changing your beliefs on the matter. I assure you that I will not be persuaded to say that pre-ordering is a bad idea. It has proven otherwise for me on numerous occasions.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2010 4:42:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2010 8:13:28 PM PST
K. Evans says:
Dec 31, 2012 = 25 MONTHS! Not simply 16. Ridiculous.

But you best believe I'll pre-order it 6 months in advance ;)

Posted on Dec 28, 2010 8:56:53 AM PST
im definately not ordering 24 months in advance. seems kind of pointless

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2010 11:12:20 PM PST
gimli1357 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2010 6:40:44 PM PST
Miguel j. says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 2, 2011 6:15:58 PM PST
Miguel:

Thanks for sort of attempting to contribute to the conversation. For the record, I haven't lived with my parents since I graduated high school eons ago, nobody pays for my entertainment besides my wife and me, I have no desire to castrate anyone, and I couldn't care less about what anyone thinks of my position on the subject of Amazon pre-orders. Maybe you were attempting to be humorous... In that light, your post was rather clever!

In any case... In the event that the Earth was destroyed tomorrow, neither Troy nor I would be out $59.99... Amazon doesn't charge until they ship the item. Troy and I would both die with our finances intact.

Posted on Jan 8, 2011 10:38:08 AM PST
Mr. Hyde says:
lol wow, this topic got really funny. I'll pre-order it now but I think a couple good reasons people wouldn't get it now is, maybe their credit cards expire before then, or, if they don't, maybe they don't wanna order something that they maybe won't have the money for when it ships. They could very easily forget they placed the order and then a year and a half, 2 years later, they get charged and are down 60 bucks that, depending on how their financial situation changed, could provide a week of food, gas, whatever... You never know.

Posted on Jan 8, 2011 12:34:02 PM PST
Justin:

You're right. Pre-ordering does require personal responsibility. One should only pledge to purchase an item if they know with reasonable certainty that they will be able to afford the item when it is released. Based on the state of the economy, clearly there are some folks out there that shouldn't make such promises.

I'm afraid that my position has not been made clear - I don't particularly care if anyone other than myself pre-orders anything or not. Nobody needs a reason not to order something early if they don't want to do so - that's their right. That being said, the argument that there is no reason whatsoever to pre-order several months - even years - in advance of release is flawed. That has been my point for the entire discussion. Are there reasons why people should not pre-order in certain circumstances? Of course! I would never be so foolish as to put forth that everyone should pre-order. All I ask is that people don't make such ridiculous statements about it being far too early to pre-order without taking into consideration the possible reasons as to why it might actually be a GOOD idea.

Posted on Feb 15, 2011 3:29:53 PM PST
Released after the end of the world or not, this is early 2011 after all. Why not release it today if it's ready? If it's not ready, more than a year and a half to pre-order is silly. You might get run over by a bus between then and now ja.

Posted on Feb 17, 2011 7:11:55 AM PST
Jason says:
What a bunch of babies. Who argues about pre-orders?

Posted on Feb 18, 2011 8:03:33 PM PST
The whole 'you might die tomorrow' argument isn't very smart. If you are dead, money doesn't matter to you anymore. (Does anything matter when you are dead?) End of story.

P.S. you aren't even charged till they ship your package anyway!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2011 7:21:38 AM PST
Cherita says:
It's just like 1999 when everyone thought the world was going to end and were storing guns and food in the trunks of their cars...or in the..50's? when people built nuke bunkers...

Posted on Mar 16, 2011 9:06:34 PM PDT
Dec 31 2012 is not the official release date! So stop talking like it is. And I agree with the OP that it's way too early out to pre-order, even though I put the game on my wishlist in October. (The new Zelda went on in November, and that still has no release date.)

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 2:37:38 PM PDT
Peragulator says:
I don't get it. The game is scheduled for a December 2012 release which is 21 months from now, not 16. Whether anyone pre-orders 2 months or 20 months from now what difference does it make if the price goes down or not? You'll still get the lower price from Amazon so the "good thing" discussion is flawed. You can't cancel an order a month in advance? If you didn't pre-order and the game went up by 2 bucks would you be inclined to toss yourself off the roof because you didn't get the cheaper price 2 yrs in advance?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  22
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  Aug 19, 2010
Latest post:  May 24, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about