A little example of how we may be able to understand the bigger picture

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 4, 2010 11:49:06 AM PDT
Here is a small and probably slight example of how God may give us a short term negative which ultimately could be a long term good. I was walking to the mall on Sat to see a movie and came to a crossing where cars are supposed to stop for pedestrians. As I approached the crosswalk a car driven by an older man was approaching and did not even slow down. Needless to say had I assummed he would and started to cross bad things might have happened. Now this is not the end of my story but only the beginning. After I crossed the street and made my way to the mall entrance I noticed this same man dropping off his wife who must work at the mall, and then driving off. I took the opportunity to tell the wife that her husband had blown through a stop sign and could have hit a pedestrian. She of course denied it and said she thought they stopped. I let her know they most certainly did not stop and need to be more considerate in the future to prevent an accident. She just walked off dismissively but I am certain she will mention this to her husband, even if it is in an irritated way. I also think that in the future this husband will be driving her to work again and will come to this same crosswalk and at least in the back of his mind will think be to stop as a result of his wife telling about our exchange. Perhaps this will prevent a horrible tragedy. Now all the things that had to happen to get me to that one moment of almost being hit are numerous. The normal lot I use was closed, upon first parking I saw another car park and felt that car was in a better space (front facing) so re-parked my car. Of course there were a number of other things that had to happen as well. So the possible lesson I get from this experience is that if God put me where I was as a way to possibly eliminate a future tragedy then this is more evidence of how we may not be able to understand the big picture of a small event in God's overall reasoning. Had I not been exploring my faith I would have not connected these events and just been happy I could vent to the wife.

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 4:34:51 PM PDT
jpl says:
Evidence, Naz? You're mistaking coincidence and faith for evidence. Lack of skepticism has lead people to believe anything.

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 10:02:54 PM PDT
jpl says:
A little example of how we may be able to understand the bigger picture

Naz says: Here is a small and probably slight example of how God [jpl: Which god?] may give us a short term negative which ultimately could be a long term good. I was walking to the mall on Sat to see a movie and came to a crossing where cars are supposed to stop for pedestrians. As I approached the crosswalk a car driven by an older man was approaching and did not even slow down. Needless to say had I assummed he would and started to cross bad things might have happened [jpl: So you assumed; your god didn't tell you?]. Now this is not the end of my story but only the beginning. After I crossed the street and made my way to the mall entrance I noticed this same man dropping off his wife who must work at the mall, and then driving off. I took the opportunity to tell the wife that her husband had blown through a stop sign and could have hit a pedestrian. She of course denied it and said she thought they stopped. I let her know they most certainly did not stop [jpl: So this became a matter of "right" and "wrong" to you?] and need to be more considerate in the future to prevent an accident. [jpl: Have you never in your life been inconsiderate?] She just walked off dismissively but I am certain she will mention this to her husband, even if it is in an irritated way. I also think that in the future this husband will be driving her to work again and will come to this same crosswalk and at least in the back of his mind will think be to stop as a result of his wife telling about our exchange. Perhaps this will prevent a horrible tragedy. [jpl: I can see you're not only proud of yourself, but that it bolsters your faith in the only true god.] Now all the things that had to happen to get me to that one moment of almost being hit are numerous. The normal lot I use was closed, upon first parking I saw another car park and felt that car was in a better space (front facing) so re-parked my car. Of course there were a number of other things that had to happen as well. So the possible lesson I get from this experience is that if God put me where I was as a way to possibly eliminate a future tragedy then this is more evidence of how we may not be able to understand the big picture of a small event in God's overall reasoning. [jpl: Then why does your god not do this all the time with all believers, and why aren't we all believers?] Had I not been exploring my faith [jpl: "Faith"--the magic word.] I would have not connected these events and just been happy I could vent to the wife.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Oct 4, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years
Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years by Diarmaid MacCulloch (Paperback - February 22, 2011)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (213)