Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL
Customer Discussions > Give 'em Enough Rope forum

the clash is just a pop band that likes to sing the news to you (u2 with a little more rock edge) if you want the news watch cnn but if you want real punk rock then listin to a band like the sex pistols because real punk rock goes beyond that!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 25, 2006 11:19:22 PM PST
1st i would like to say that ive not only been in punk rock in a major way for over 20 years but respected it for that long also and thats why
I'm sick of little kids thinking little pop and artsy emo groups like blink 182 and simple plan and Good Charlotte and greenday and Hawthorne Heights and afi and Dashboard Confessional and Panic! At the Disco and Taking Back Sunday and All American Rejects and Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance and Yellowcard and Relient K and Less Than Jake and Coheed & Cambria and Armor for Sleep and Bowling for Soup and Jimmy Eat World and Motion City Soundtrack and The Offspring and the plain white t's and The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus and My Chemical Romance and Hellogoodbye and ...(well, i could go on for hours)...are punk rockers. because it should be clear to anyone that has listened to them for less then a second that they aren't close to being in the same realm as real punk rock in anyway!. If they want to listen to that junk fine ill live after all i made it through junk like the backsteet boys and all of the boyband junk (like there real is a difference when you look at) but at least call it something else (like art rock or neo goth or just pop or alt would work) and let real punk rock rest in peace (it died in 84 so it wouldnt become some soft kiddy pop trend) with what little respect it still has...

(real punk rock is timeless so stop saying that just because an album isn't made within the last 5 or 10 years its not worth your time thats being closed-minded and if any bands these days were really punk rock i would say so TRUST ME! i love music from lots of kinds genres (just not all.. but for good reason!and can you guess what is not only one of my 10 favorite of all time, but may very well be the best band of the last 16 years and has one of the most innovative, breathtaking, and transcending sounds of any band in the history of not only rock but music period? its Sigur Rós and they are FAR from punk rock but have just the same musical expertise all the same...)

the bottom line is if you want to know what REAL PUNK ROCK is listen to the sex pistols album -Never Mind the Bollocks Here's the Sex Pistols- they are and it is punk rock in its most raw, ungrateful, distractive and greatest form and the place to see if you are truly part of punk rock or just in its way! and i hope at the very least you see how foolish and childish it is to even try and call all the pop and emo crap of today punk rock and wake up and realize that you should have (after all its punk ROCK and i think most people forget that it IS a form of rock and not only that its the hardest form there is and how can a band be called a punk rock band when its not even a rock band to begin with?) and i would also like to note that im not just saying that the sex pistols are the only real punk rock group or the only good punk rock group why i only mention them is because i am writing this to try and show people the difference in punk rock and all of this pop and emo crap and not bore them to death on some history lesson and what better way to do that then to simply let them listen to the best example possible and then if they really like what real punk rock is then they will go and find the rest on theyre own if they dont and they want to go back to the fake pop and emo crap of today then fine but atleast they will know that it isnt punk rock and thats the important thing and then places like amazon and mtv wont try and promote the lie with them hopefully!

Lastly, i would like to call out all the so called punk rockers (remember what i said earlier people punk rock is a form of ROCK so use the word rock and maybe people will stop thinking its some pop tread) that say that you really shouldn't care about something this much. Well, why put your time into it? real punk rockers know this is worth fighting for and thats why we do it and also to all the nerds (why do nerds even think that anyone with half a brain would think that they are really a punk rocker in anyway?!?!?!?!?!? they are like the least punk rock thing i know of!) whos heads are about to explode because i didnt use the best gramer writing this GOOD! there are more important things in life to worry about!.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2008 2:18:45 PM PST
Paul Ess. says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2008 12:07:54 AM PDT
L. Ricciuti says:
Hey, it's this guy again. Wassup PRINFTW? Yeah, again I didn't read your big long rant I just looked at the title you gave this forum. You're right in the sense that the Clash did kind of move beyond the punk rock they started playing on their first album. But that first album is still essentially a punk rock album. I actually think the Clash are sort of on a higher level than the Sex Pistols. True, the Sex Pistols really kicked off Punk rock in the U.K. by singing about their country's then quite decrepid (by developed nation standards) state and doing that whole "we hate you all" thing. If that's what punk rock is all about, well, then punk rock is a bit immature I think. The Sex Pistols relied so much on shock alone. The Clash, by 'singing the news to us' were trying to make punk rock relevent to the world. Self importance? Maybe, but it's nice to see a band mature beyond the standards of mere isolated, raging, punk rock. And again, yeah I realize rock is suffering some kind of identity crisis in the 21rst least on the radio. But that's the radio, forget the radio, man, it hardly means anything(I say hardly because there's still a few good songs and bands that make onto the radio) to anyone who's serious about finding honest rock music anymore. And don't worry about TRL either. That's on MTV, right? Everyone knows by now that there's essentially no music on MTV anyways. It's in decline, you know. Hey but I'm not really a punk rocker anyways so maybe my opinion on all this is kind of irrelevent to you.

Posted on Apr 13, 2009 1:30:04 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 12, 2010 3:08:31 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2009 5:31:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2009 5:35:10 AM PDT
Punk was an elitist movement. The Clash understood that and moved on musically; the same way that Stiff Little Fingers did (now there was a band!). Check out the song "All The Young Punks (New Boots And Contracts) from The Clash's "Give 'Em Enough Rope" album. Oh, and by the way, CNN news? Now, that's news to me!

Posted on Nov 8, 2009 4:19:23 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 13, 2011 8:34:29 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 1:39:26 PM PDT
So you have rules for what's "acceptable" punk? You see the irony, right?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Dec 25, 2006
Latest post:  Jul 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Give 'em Enough Rope
Give 'em Enough Rope by The Clash (Audio CD - 2000)
4.4 out of 5 stars (100)