Customer Discussions > The Last Oracle (Sigma Force) forum

looking for books similiar to lincoln child and douglas prestons books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 25, 2008 7:31:47 PM PST
Julie Akers says:
I am trying to find new authors and books to read.. I like Lincoln child and Douglas preston but I have read everthing written by both of them..I would like to find something similair to their style.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2008 7:21:08 AM PST
I find this posted on the James Rollins page, and must say you are in the right place. I've found the James Rollins novels to be great, especially the Sigma Force novels (Black Order, Map of Bones, The Judas Strain)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2008 12:55:22 PM PDT
quark643 says:
I'm also a big fan of the Preston/Child books (especially the Pendergast novels) and agree with the James Rollins suggestion. I would also say his Sigma Force novels are better than some of the older ones. I also like the Jack Du Brul series featuring Philip Mercer. They are more adventure than mystery and are similar to Preston's books the Codex and Tyrannasaur Canyon.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2008 10:38:09 PM PDT
BKLVR says:
Definitely try James Rollins books if you are a Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston fan. He is quite possibly the most intelligent and creative writer I have found to date. You will find you want someone you know to read the book just so you can talk to them about it. I have read most of his books twice and couldn't even put them down the second time around! Reading entertainment at its very best.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2008 9:52:21 AM PDT
Excellent question, Julie. You might check out Jeremy Robinson's work (available on Amazon). Of course, anything by James Rollins would work as well. If you don't mind violence, you might consider Scott Sigler's novels. If your taste runs toward the action-thriller with a science underpinning and touch of horror, you might check out my own novel THE COLORADO SEQUENCE.

This is a great question, and I love the replies so far, everyone.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2008 8:03:28 PM PDT
Rai Aren says:
Hi Julie,

I too, am a huge fan of Preston Child (together or solo), and I also highly recommend James Rollins. Two other authors I would recommend are Matthew Reilly (has lots of great books) and Thomas Greanias. I am just reading Raising Atlantis at the moment (& really enjoying it), and next on my list will his follow-up book, The Atlantis Prophecy. I think these authors would be right up your alley!

Happy reading!

Rai Aren, co-author of Secret of the Sands
www.secretofthesands.com

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2008 12:51:19 PM PDT
purple cloud says:
I love Preston and Child, and Rollins. Then there's John Robert Marlow who wrote "Nano". Such a funtastic read. I even emailed Marlow to see/encourage him about writing another book. Seems Nano might be a future movie and writing another book is possible. I keep a log of all the books I've read, and also all the books I've tried to read. Nano is the only book I gave it an A+, excluding Preston, Child and Rollins of course.

Love to hear more recommendations y'all. Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2008 11:54:19 AM PDT
Another author similiar in writing style although the subject matter differs is Clive Cussler. Try one of his and see what you think.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2008 2:33:24 PM PDT
I've read through the other replies you have received --- and also encourage you to pick up James Rollins' books. They are interesting (great historical tidbits), well written, filled with adventure and you'll find yourself having late night reading sessions (this has been especially true for me with his SIGMA Force novels...I read THE LAST ORACLE in preview form and stayed up way past my bedtime...) Rollins can weave a complex web that will entertain and fascinate you as well as keep you enthralled as you turn the pages....

Little Rock reader

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2008 5:04:55 PM PDT
I decided that I want start reading the Pedergast novels. I have yet to read anything by Preston/Child, but I enjoy these types of storylines. I have purchased Relic, but I was wondering if they should be read in order. Thanks, Heather Cooper.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2008 11:30:13 PM PDT
purple cloud says:
if you get on their website, it will have suggestions as to read what first. I've read all their books and am now reading The Monster of Florence while I'm waiting for The Last Oracle by Rollins. Somebody, read NANO, it's fun read. Post how you like the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2008 12:19:17 PM PDT
purple cloud says:
I've tried a couple of Clive Cussler's books because I've heard alot of praise of his books. But when i tried it, it always starts off on a ship, with ocean troubles. I'm not fond of ocean voyages myself so by reading, I'm feeling the effects of the ocean. So I've abandoned the books and never got pass the first 40 pages. So, can someone inform me - is every book of his about ocean voyages? If I get some encouragements, I just might try again. Which book is the "best" that I should try? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2008 12:20:43 PM PDT
Babs says:
I am a big fan of Rollins and have read all his books. I am really looking forward to the new one. Another great writer is Matthew Reilly. These authors have gotten my daughter into reading, a big plus.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2008 12:36:04 PM PDT
Jan B says:
It is funny; I saw this post and immediately thought "I wonder if anyone has suggested James Rollins". Like others, I second that recommendation, though I tend to like his NON Sigma Force novels the best. You might also want to try Jeff Long--especially The Descent. Everyone who I've recommended Preston/Child to has also liked Long's books.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2008 8:37:40 PM PDT
D. Stewart says:
Rollins definately, Matt Reilly takes a bit more suspension of belief, but very good fun. If the action/adventure is your thing, I'd suggest Dale Brown for military, Jim Butcher for mystery/occult, Clive Cussler for light entertainment and Dean Koontz for horror.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2008 7:07:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 4, 2008 7:07:57 AM PDT
Mysterri says:
Anyone who likes Lincoln Child/Douglas Preston should read James Rollins and Matthew Reilly like most of the people answering your posting state. BUT, do not miss David Lynn Golemon....he has written two books so far, "Event" and "Legend", with a third coming out in August. He is great!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2008 10:01:13 AM PDT
D. Wood says:
For mystery/action/adventure with an element of supernatural, you might try F. Paul Wilson stories. My favorites are the Repairman Jack series.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2008 8:50:06 AM PDT
Have you tried Matthew Reilly? He's an Aussie writer and his action books are truely amazing. There of a faster pace but don't loose any of the detail.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2008 11:03:19 AM PDT
Kate Willard says:
You must try "Tourist in the Yucatan" When I first saw the cover I thought it was a travel memior, but it really is a first rate thriller adventure about a Young American couple who get into trouble while touring the Mexican outback. The plot weaves in a lot of info about the ancient Maya and one major plot point involves a lost Mayan tomb that maybe the tomb of soemone other than a Mayan (Dont want to spoil the surprise!). great action adventure along with the mystery.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2008 7:22:27 AM PDT
MJD says:
Nelson DeMille, David Balducci and James Rollins. Probably Demille is the best of the bunch.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2008 2:09:26 AM PDT
Looking for something new? Try Cryptofiction (Cryptozoological Fiction)

I think I may have just the thing for you. My name is Dallas Tanner, and I am the author of "The Cryptids Trilogy", which consists of "Shadow of the Thunderbird", "Track of the Bigfoot", and "Wake of the Lake Monster". They are influenced by the likes of Crichton (Jurassic Park/The Lost World), Rollins (Subterranean), Cussler (Sahara), Alten (The Meg Series), Preston & Child (Relic/Thunderhead).

There is a developing relationship between the two main protagonists that runs throughout the series. That is, when their obvious differences aren't overshadowed by obstacles in the form of ancient cities, harsh terrains, mystics, prehistoric beasts, traps, puzzles, secret organizations/societies, otherworldly technology, and the occasional megalomaniac bent on world domination.

The science and history are accurate, there is little gratuitous sex, language or violence, and the only real suspension of disbelief is in the survival of the titular creature past the last ice age. The mystery is in the discovery of the origin and species of an animal relegated to myth and legend, by characters with distinct flaws and idiosynchrocies.

I think you'd have alot of fun with them. They're listed on Amazon, along with my blog, but you can learn a great deal more on my site at http://www.dallastanner.com.

The Cryptds Trilogy:

"Book 1: Shadow of the Thunderbird" - ISBN 1434844226
"Book 2: Track of the Bigfoot" - ISBN 1434844277
"Book 3: Wake of the Lake Monster" - ISBN 1434844285

They are also available on Kindle:

"Book 1: Shadow of the Thunderbird" - ASIN: B001FB6EBW
"Book 2: Track of the Bigfoot" - ASIN: B001FB6EC6
"Book 3: Wake of the Lake Monster" - ASIN: B001FB6ECG

I am also a huge fan of the authors mentioned here, especially their earlier works (more archaeology and monsters, I suppose).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 11:03:35 AM PDT
B-Ann says:
Hi Heather,
I have read all the Preston/Child books and especially enjoy the Pendergast series. I would definitely recommend reading them in order. They build the characters as they go and if you skip around you'll find yourself confused about characters/happenings that are referred to in future books.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2014 12:56:51 AM PST
You might try reading one of Cussler's "Fargo" stories. Lots of dry land adventure and very good characters.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2014 4:33:42 PM PDT
Try James Rollins. Some of his earlier books like "Sandstorm" are great.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2014 4:34:54 PM PDT
I've also read most of his books -
Don't like the newest collaborative ones.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  23
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Jan 25, 2008
Latest post:  14 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Last Oracle (Sigma Force)
The Last Oracle (Sigma Force) by James Rollins (Hardcover - June 24, 2008)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (284)