Customer Discussions > Firefly: The Complete Series forum

if you love firefly check out cowboy bebop

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 13, 2007 11:50:04 PM PDT
Scaliwag says:
Cowboy Bebop was a short-lived Japanese anime series with many elements that are similar to Firefly. Future time, a salvaged ship, bounty runners, a crew that becomes family etc. Like Firefly, it takes a few episodes to really get into it, but I think by the fifth or sixth on you'll be firmly hooked. Like Serenity, there's a Cowboy Bebop movie. I definitely recommend watching the series first--perferably the "remix" version. The movie should be watched just prior to the last episode of the series, though be forewarned that the movie isn't as good as the series. That said, Firefly is great in it's own right--of course.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2007 9:40:51 PM PDT
V S says:
I agree. It's nowhere near the same...different flavor that I also enjoy. Books and not just comics of CB would be excellent to read. Someday...but now I'm enjoying Serenity on DVD, HD-DVD, and DVD Collectors edition. Firefly was so good when I copied them, I BOUGHT two sets! I confess, I'm a johnny-come-lately, but a die hard fan and owner of jaynecobb.com. I disagree, the movie completes the series, and is excellent by any means, even without the series.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2008 10:59:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 2, 2008 11:05:39 AM PDT
Hanshin says:
My understanding is that the movie takes place between episodes 22 & 23, i.e. between DVD volumes 5 & 6.

Anyway, If you are going to recommend an anime title to Firefly fans, I think they would enjoy Last Exile more. Being a Firefly fan myself, and having seen both Cowboy Bebop & Last Exile, I can definitely see more similarities between Firefly and Last Exile than there are between Firefly and Bebop.

Posted on Apr 19, 2009 8:24:47 PM PDT
blunt says:
i agree fire fly and bebop both have common themes, last exile, no way, love last exile but its got the art deco going, fire fly and bebop have the westren feel

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2010 1:54:35 PM PST
Completed agree, Firefly and Bebop are very similar shows, both have that spirited independent western feel to them, a great cast, amazing music, and a good balance between fun and drama. Both shows are amazing so Firefly fans check out the great Bebop, I promise its not as bad as it sounds.

Posted on Mar 18, 2010 10:59:11 AM PDT
Frankie D says:
Last Exile was boring, Bebop was cool! Never really liked Firefly!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2010 9:01:14 AM PDT
Wow, this firefly must be a cool show. I never even heard of it. I do like Cowboy Bebop though. I guess I'll have to get Firefly and check it out!

Posted on Jun 22, 2010 5:30:49 AM PDT
JLC says:
nah, Firefly is closer to Outlaw Star.

Posted on Jul 26, 2010 8:11:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 26, 2010 8:12:04 AM PDT
O. Schmidt says:
I agree and I own both Firefly/Serenity Collection and Cowboy Bebop and same great genere.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2010 5:48:54 AM PDT
Intrepid says:
Jonathan - if you like the music from Cowboy Bebop, then you may want to check out the prolific composer-arranger-musician, Yoko Kano and her Amazon store.

http://www.amazon.com/Yoko-Kanno/e/B000AQ1Y68/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1284294848&sr=8-2-ent

Prices new are a lot steeper than I expected. Probably because she has become (rightfully) very respected in this genre. There are used compilations for less.

Trivia I just came across - songs by "Gabriela Robin" in Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Macross, and other anime are actually Kanno singing under that pseudonym !

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2010 2:55:19 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2010 8:19:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2010 8:19:39 AM PST
C.W. says:
Maybe you should stop commenting on an Amazon Internet forum then as well. It seems like this all may just be a little too beneath you for the high class world you live in...

You are right. Anime is another word for fancy cartoons. Cartoons made for adults. It is an artform and, like any artform, it is subjective. I don't care for most anime, but there are several movies that I have enjoyed.

Regardless, I don't have an issue with your subjective opinion. I do have an issue with the way you delivered it. You don't have to make others feel like crap just so you can feel better about yourself. I don't think Anime is great by any means, but I wouldn't come mock something someone enjoyed (especially on an Internet forum...really?) just so I could feel better about myself.

You act as if Anime is somehow childish, but you are the one acting like a child when you insult others' opinions by mocking them.

Just my 2c.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2010 10:32:55 PM PST
ShadowFalls says:
Nothing wrong with someone having an opinion, it is how rudely it comes across. There are many anime series that are rated strictly for mature audiences. Anime also isn't just a "cartoon" as your clear limited knowledge of the subject shows. There are many genres and target audiences, and the story that unfolds in many of a series can be well-developed and meaningful. Much of the programming on TV today can't really claim to have much if any of a story direction, nor actually be anything more than drivel. How many shows these days teach you the important things in life or have you thinking outside the box? The list is pretty short it is disappointing.

Ofcourse anime has genres that include humor, to action based, or even romance/drama. The large selection is a plus, hard to really lump anime with stuff like Southpark or Scooby Doo and think they don't standout on their own. As with any type of media, ofcourse anime will have some garbage in there. But I have seen the percentage of terrible stuff is pretty low.

Posted on Jul 28, 2013 7:18:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 28, 2013 7:30:30 PM PDT
Cowboy bebop says:
I think Trigun anime is more like Firefly because it deals with honor, cowboyish theme with spaceships, love relationships that never develop, main characters outlaws that are misunderstood....I watched Cowboy Bebop and its a good anime but I didn't see the similarities with Firefly.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Jun 13, 2007
Latest post:  Jul 28, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Firefly: The Complete Series
Firefly: The Complete Series by Nathan Fillion (DVD - 2003)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (8,074)