on January 8, 2012
First lets be clear - this is not to be confused with a first gen mSR. Its harder to fly and its a steep learning curve especially if you don't have prior 4 or 6 channel heli experience. If you're new to helis, get a mCX2 or a mSR (if you can find one) first to get the controls down and you'll be in a better place to jump to this.

Having said that, its that much faster and more fun to fly once you learn to do it. The stock TX is OK, but you will want a computerized radio (Spektrum DX6i is popular) to really bring this heli into its own. But those radios are as expensive as the heli itself unless you get them used.

Now to be honest, this heli has some weak spots in durability out of the box. First and foremost: If you crash it under power, and you will eventually, expect to break a ball link off of the stock blade grips. This is the most common thing to break, so get a few of those grips as spares. Fortunately the grips are the same as the first gen mSR and the mSR aftermarket grips and rotor heads will work. Using them will increase the reliability of the heli significantly.

Secondly, the main motor seems to burn out much quicker than the original mSR motor did, so you'll need to keep a few of these handy too. ($10 a pop) Some people are reporting some servo trouble also after flying it for awhile. Mostly some TLC will fix it with no problem, but you need to know what works for this. I have one servo horn on mine (Part on the servo that drives the push rod) that seems to have stripped out early so I have a warranty ticket in with the manufacturer. I don't think Blade is selling the servo gearing separately from the 4-n-1 board for this like they did for the mSR.

This BNF heli comes from Blade with just the Heli, no battery, no charger, no TX. If you need those, spring for the RTF version. It does come with a small screw driver and an extra tail rotor. (I'd rather they put a set of blade grips and hardware in instead of the tail rotor.) Its a smallish box too, Not like the massive box the mSR shipped with.

If you don't mind all of the above and do get some flying time in with it, it turns out to be a real blast to fly. Much faster and more responsive than a coax, Solo Pro, or first gen mSR. It can handle being outside in low winds (5-10mph max) with little problem. Experts will be able to fly in slight gusts too. Its a great trainer for bigger fixed pitch/CP helis and if you get comfortable with it, you can probably handle a small CP heli such as the mCPx with little extra effort.

If it didn't have the issue with the blade grips and main motor I'd give it a higher rating. As it is, I can only give it 3 stars, since the maintenance issues take something away from the fun factor right out of the box.

Hope that helps your decision making. :)
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 6, 2012
Verified Purchase
This little heli is simply amazing. For reference (since it may affect how you take this review), I fly mostly r/c planes.. but got into helis as the prices have dropped. I'm writing this review coming from flying coaxial helis and then upgrading to the mSR. Moving from the mSR to the mSR X was a nice transition. I think I would have had problems moving from a coaxial to the mSR X. The mSR X is definitely a lot more responsive than the mSR and way the heck faster and more unstable than coax helis. The mSR X doesn't have any self correcting tendencies... so you can get into trouble very quickly. For example I can hover nose-in with a coax almost blindfolded. I can comfortably fly nose-in with my mSR. I thought I would be able to do the same with the mSR X, boy was I wrong. The mSR X just moves too fast and doesn't self correct like the coax or mSR. If you point her left, she'll continue left until you input right. The lack of the flybar lends to this. At the same time, the annoying TBE (toilet bowl effect) of the mSR is non-existent with the mSR X. The mSR X has a much higher head speed, so they say that she'll incur more damage upon crashing. I don't crash that much because I'm overly conservative. But I haven't noticed this 'more damage' so far. If you have a computer radio, you can really dial down the sensitivity and make her act more like an mSR.
All in all, I'd highly recommend the mSr X, but just keep in mind she doesn't fly docilely like the mSR. ps: get extra batteries, because each flight is only about 5-6 minutes... and it's addicting as all heck and almost impossible to put down.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 15, 2013
This helicopter is easy to fly and yet is capable of quite agressive acrobatics. It's definitely not a good choice for your first helicopter, but it's a great step up from a coaxial helicopter or from a tamer single-rotor heli like the Blade mSR.

I picked up the mSRX after having mastered the coaxial Blade MCX2, and I found the transition quite manageable. The mSRX is a fixed-pitch helicopter, which means that the blades always stay at the same angle and you alter the amount of lift by changing the speed of the motor. Compared with the symmetric blades on a collective-pitch helicopter like the Nano CP or the mCP X, the blades on the mSRX are asymmetric and provide more lift at low speeds. The high lift and low head speed makes this helicopter significantly easier to fly. I found the mSRx to be a very useful training tool for the larger collective-pitch models, but it's still fun to pick up and fly for its own sake.

The mSRX is quite maneuverable and can do just about any trick that doesn't involve turning the helicopter upside-down. The gyros will not allow you to flip the helicopter past 90 degrees, but they'll allow any orientation within those limits.

The low rotor tip speed (about 1/4 as high as a small collective-pitch heli) prevents damage to the rotors and to your furniture and plants. You can still damage the MSRx badly if you crash it into a hard surface at full speed, but it's so small and light that its terminal velocity is actually lower than its maximum speed. You can basically turn off the power at any altitude and land with minimal damage. One time I clipped a the top of a tree and hit the throttle cutoff. The helicopter fell about 30 feet onto concrete, but the only damage was a cracked skid.

The stock radio that ships with the RTF kit is the same one that comes with the Blade MCX2. I find this radio doesn't provide much fine control; the sticks tend to float around under your thumbs. It's best to have a better radio, one with gimbals like the DX5e. I don't think that a programmable radio is really necessary for this model, but if you're planning on moving up to a collective pitch helicopter you might as well invest in a programmable radio now. I use a DX7s, but I don't use any of the advanced features of the radio when flying the mSRX.

This helicopter was the first of its kind, and the design is not perfect. The things that Blade didn't get right have been discussed in depth here and elsewhere. I don't think these issue as serious as some of the other reviews make them out to be. Specifically:

Issue #1: The ball joins will break off of the blade grips during a crash. I've found that you can prevent this problem by popping the rotor head linkage off the blade grip, putting a dab of white grease onto each ball joint, then reinstalling the linkage. After this fix is applied, the linkage pops off during a crash as it's supposed to, and the blade grip stays intact. As long as you only grease one side of the linkage, the linkage stays attached to the swashplate; just pop it back on again and the helicopter is ready to fly.

Issue #2: The motor fails prematurely. This problem is due to a buildup of carbon on the motor's brushes, which leads to arcing, which leads to more carbon buildup, and so on. You can prevent or fix this problem by putting a drop of very light machine oil (I use French horn valve oil) through the two holes on the top of the motor. The oil dissolves the carbon deposits.

Issue #3: The helicopter leans to the right when hovering. This behavior is normal; all single-rotor helicopters lean to the side in a hover to counteract the force of the tail rotor. The effect just happens to be more pronounced on
the mSRX, due to a few factors that are intrinsic to this helicopter's small, fixed-pitch form factor. The blades on the mSRX have relatively high drag, and the tail boom is short. So the helicopter needs a powerful tail rotor to compensate for the increased torque. This powerful tail rotor produces more lateral thrust, so the helicopter needs to lean more to the right to stay in one place.

The net effect of Issue #3 is that many maneuvers are more difficult in one direction than in the other. For example, during forward flight it's easier to turn right than it is to turn left. The trick is to master the easier variant of each maneuver before attempting the harder one.
on September 12, 2013
Verified Purchase
For a price of $39 this thing is a steal. This used to sell for well over $100 so I am guessing its on its way out and this is the bargain price. At this price I had to buy one. This is a good little heli. I have a SR120 which is bigger but that one has a flybar and really suffers from the dreaded TBE. I had none of that with the mSRX. I also have a nano CPX. Being fixed pitch this mSRX is much more stable than that one. I like it better for indoor flying where the nano is better is at loops and aerobatics if you have that skill level. This is a nice little one for me to fly around the house when the weather is bad.
on July 27, 2013
This is HANDS-DOWN the fixed-pitch heli to get after you get bored with co-axial helis. It's a pretty sharp learning curve I won't lie, but this heli teaches you to "fly" a helicopter. The AS3X stabilization makes this the first fixed pitch heli with software controlled balancing. So with a little wind, no need to worry, she'll hover fairly steady, but, like I said you have to fly this heli. Hands off hovering means hands off for a couple of seconds as she will keep her flight directions from the last stick inputs. AS3X is not auto-leveling, it simply replaces the mechanical flybar with computer controlled "virtual flybar" and the tail gyro is integrated on the AS3X board. You will learn, with practice and patience, how to fly a helicopter in 2d mode with confidence so when you're ready to finally get into collective pitch you've already mastered 2d flight and now you can add the 3d (inverting) learning curve and it's not overwhelming, although still a little scary but that's part of the reason this hobby is so fun and exciting and full of adrenaline rushes. The only negative I give this heli, but not too negative because you're saving expense when purchasing and replacing, is the brushed motors both on the tail and the main. The brushed motors do tend to burn out after so many flights but if you let the little motors cool down several minutes after each flight, you will add to their life span. I know everyone has their favorite helicopter manufacturer but for a blue-collar worker with not a lot of spare change lying around, I can't say enough about Blade and Horizon Hobby. They are the best value rc helicopter manufacturer in the market, with parts readily available and their outstanding product support is renowned throughout the rc hobby industry. They treat everyone like a V.I.P. and keep you coming back for more.
Verified Purchase
I am fairly new to the world of R/C piloting and the Blade mSR X is a helicopter that is above my skill level. I found this out after ordering it from Amazon. Instead of cancelling my purchase, I decided to order a helicopter closer to my skill level and keep the mSR X for future flying when I became more proficient. While waiting for my beginner helicopter to arrive, I figured I would give the mSR X a try. I am glad I did.

Yes. It's hard to fly for me. And yes. I have crashed many times. But after a day of flying the mSR X, my skill level and knowledge of the hobby improved immensely.

I fly the mSR X outside in light wind conditions, and have not had a fatal crash yet. It is light and durable, and I have collided with the rock wall in my front yard numerous times. And yet, no damage to the helicopter. The worst crash I had knocked the landing skids off the base and I simply popped it back on and immediately began flying it again. Once after a crash, the device that controls the collective pitch (throttle) slid up from it's housing bracket and I couldn't get any thrust from the helicopter. For a novice like myself, it was easy identify the problem and fix it. I just pushed the device back down in the housing bracket with my finger and began flying again. It was that simple.

The mSR X is also easy to disassemble even for beginners like myself. After flying it, I like to take it apart and clean the components. It's super simple to do, and a great way to learn the inner working parts of the helicopter.

If you are a beginner to R/C helicopters and lack the patience or time to learn, I don't recommend getting the mSR X. You may want to try the novice version of this helicopter which is called the Blade mSR (no X). If you are a beginner and want a challenge that will eventually improve your flying skills, I highly recommend this product. Don't be afraid of crashing and don't let crashing discourage you. After a dozen or so mishaps, you will have an epiphany and say to yourself: "Yes!!! I can do this."
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 26, 2013
Verified Purchase
I wanted to wait until I had 100 flights on this MSRX before I wrote the review. Bottom line up front, I've flown this heli 100 times. 1 flight = one charge on the battery. With the exception of one blade screw, all parts are original. You can't fly this many times without crashing, and I have. My goal is to progress from coaxial helis to collective pitch. After a few cheap coaxials I purchased the Blade MSR, then the MSRX. I flew the first 60 flights on the MSRX in the garage to get very familiar with the controls and the bird's habits. If behaves, by design, very much like a collective pitch heli. (I did get to hover a friends CP heli once!) The problems other readers are having, other than manufacturer defects I presume, are a function of flying a fixed pitch heli with an AS3X flybar-less stabilization system. One you understand how it works, you better understand what the heli is doing, and how to correct it in flight. Yes it will shoot off quickly in one direction or another, but it is predictable and conrollable once you understand how the stabilization system works. I am now flying the MSRX outdoors on days where the wind is very light and I love it. It is fast, maneuverable, and once you master the controls, you can maintain (or regain) control and keep it from crashing. It is very fast and responds to control inputs very fast. Like other reviews you've read, this bird is FAST, you have to pay attention at all times and it pays to fly alone, without distractions. I find it very durable. As long as you remember to chop the power before you hit anything it just bounces. I've run into walls, the ceiling, trees, and ran out of battery power 20 feet in the air hitting asphalt on the way down. No damage. I can't believe it either. If you pile drive this thing into the ground or fly into a wall under power you will break something. How could you expect not to? I burned out the first motor on my MSR after precisely 50 flights. I have 8 batteries and flew it back to back. I've learned to let the MSRX rest between flights and I'm still on the original motor though I can tell it is starting to show its age because flight times are getting shorter and sometimes it takes a few bumps on the throttle to get the motor spinning. It is true, this is not a good first heli. It is my fourth. CP is next! You will keep your costs and frustations to a minimum if you purchase a programmable radio and a decent charger capable of charging multiple batteries simultaneously. Then get a BLADE MSR, move up to the MSRX, then an Nano-CPX. They all use the same batteries and have the same basic design which helps a lot as you progress to more complicated machines. Fly each within the limits of your skills but fly a lot and don't be afraid to break something. The parts are cheap and easy to replace. I have a box full of parts I've not used yet, but I'm ready. Have fun!!

Update: I have 160 flights on this heli and have only replaced the main landing gear and one blade grip. The main landing gear broke after several hard landings that happened when I ran of battery power while flying outdoors. Faster flight and more action equals shorter flight times. The blade grip didn't break, but the blade retaining screw stripped. All other parts are original. Hard to believe. I have a box full of spare parts I've not had to use yet. I am relatively new to RC but am trying to hone my skills and work hard to maintain control and avoid crashing.
on November 25, 2013
Verified Purchase
One star deducted because it wasn't clear that this item didn't include a battery or charger. They call it BNF (bind 'n fly), but they should call it BBBNF (buy battery, bind 'n fly).

Other than that, this copter is amazing. I got it on sale for $49.99, which is a steal. I ended up buying the RTF version of this because that was a cheaper way to get a battery and charger (and a spare transmitter). I fly this with a spectrum DX6 transmitter. I started with a WL911, which is also a lot of fun, but this copter is actually much easier to do basic maneuvers with. However, it's very fast and once you start playing around with it you can get some pretty dramatic crashes.

So far it's held up very well to my abuse - the only real problem I've had with it is that the motor will rise up out of place and will no longer turn the main gear. Simple to fix, just push the thing back down into place.
on November 9, 2013
Verified Purchase
Excellent value, will bind on the mSR RTF transmitter so I got the basic. Batteries are super cheap out, get the 180 mh and you can fly for 8 minutes a shot. Well worth it!
on October 18, 2013
Verified Purchase
I just ordered another, for backup or spare parts... For $40, this bird is a no-brainer.

I always had issues flying the original mSR... maybe mine wasn't a good one out of the box. I'm not sure. Although this mSR X needs almost constant input and needs much more finesse to fly than the mSR, it's much more responsive, so corrections aren't delayed or counteracted by the physical flybar of the mSR... at least I'm assuming that's the issue I have with it. I still fly the mSR from time to time but I'm finding it far more rewarding to learn this mSR X. Now I'm certain all of my crashes are input related, with m mSR it sometimes seemed like I had no control. While I still get that feeling sometimes with this thing, something about it just feels more "right" for intermediate learning.

I still feel the Nano QX is the best money I've ever spent on a Blade product, this mSR X is coming close. Much closer than the mSR or 120SR. My mSR is just frustrating sometimes... I think the computer flybar is a definite upgrade. I don't really fly my 120SR much at all, but maybe learning more on this will help with that. I'm bored of the mCX2, even after doing all the upgrades.

If you want to learn how to single rotor, I feel this is far better than the mSR or 120SR. I'm still not CP worthy but I do feel that this mSR X will be far better preparation.

I'd write more, but this is a discontinued product. At the prices they're selling for, it's not a bad idea to purchase another just for spare parts. Or if you don't have one, you should probably get one... no matter how good the replacement for this will be, it'll be 3-4 times the price.

See 1 answered question