Nikon COOLPIX S9200 16 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 18x Zoom NIKKOR ED Glass Lens and Full HD 1080p Video (Black) (OLD MODEL)
Used & New from: $101.50
why have camera manufacturers removed the view finders from camers---to me that makes them useless
asked by dpast on November 3, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 answers
A
First of all, today's Point and Shoot cameras are digital, which means you use the screen on the back as your "viewfinder". All DSLR's have the screen, PLUS the OPTICAL viewfinder. Your choice. DSLR's cost several times the price of most P&S cameras, with some DSLR's costing several thousand dollars. Again, your choice. One advantage of using the screen as opposed to using the viewfinder on P&S cameras that have both optical and screen, the screen will give you a more accurate rendition of the image as far as cropping is concerned. Optical viewfinders on NON DSLR cameras are not as accurate as using the screen.
Joseph A. Nowak answered on November 3, 2012
Comments (3) | 2 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
This was a major concern for me when I was shopping a few years ago, and I settled on a Canon Powershot A720 partly for that reason. But in actual use, I've pretty much forgotten about the viewfinder, relying on the screen almost completely or shooting blind because I usually like shooting from positions and heights other than where my eye is. Has been a great camera, but now looking for one with HD video.
skicanoe answered on November 3, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I am hoping the manufacturers will realize that many of us prefer a view finder especially when the sun is shining. I live in the SouthWest and it's almost impossible to use the screen. I have a Canon Powershot SX20IS and a tiny cheap Canon Power shot A1300 both have viewfinders I love them.
Marion answered on December 1, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Unlike old film rangefinder point and shoots the lens is the view finder. To see the image the camera would have to be on. Also since these point and shoot cameras are more advanced you would not see the correct image. It would not show what the zoom looked like or the focus. A sperate mirror would be needed to direct the light into the range finder, and at that point you might as well get a dslr because the price will increase that much. The problem with digital point and shoots the digital equipment needs to be close to that of a dslr. The amount of features you get in these camera is amazing. In old film point and shoots you did that pointed it and hit the button. A sperate viewer would add needlessly to over priced over featured cameras
Alphaboo answered on December 16, 2012
Comments (8) | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Not all manufacturers have done this. You just have to look. The Fuji Film link below is a very nice camera close in price to this gold box deal.
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=E1FJFPS4200

https://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&site=&source=hp&q=digital+cameras+with+optical+viewfinders&oq=digital+cameras+with&gs_l=hp.1.2.0j0i20l2j0l7.6281.21235.0.24953.20.16.0.2.2.0.1953.3609.0j2j1j7-1j1.5.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.5kUY6CLnMXQ
Mr Pink answered on November 3, 2012
Comment (1) | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product