how many free channels are there? is it worth it if i only want the free ones?
asked by jon kobee on October 24, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 answers
A
votes
A bunch of them. I only pay for Netflix and Hulu Plus (as a choice), but the rest of the ones I have are free. To me it's totally worth it. There are plenty of channels to choose from.
Sharon answered on October 24, 2012

A
votes
I really like my ROKU and have been using it as my ONLY source of Television reception where I live. I have no cable connectivity in my area and have not chosen to go the Satellite Direct TV or DISH route. I Do have wireless Internet that I use for my computer connection and it is how I am able to successfully use the ROKU. I suggest you take a look at an information page that Amazon provided that I found useful when I was considering purchasing my own ROKU. It is Not a replacement for broadcast television and does not connect to all of your local channels. I have an Amazon Prime membership and use it to stream digital movies and tv series to my TV through the ROKU. It is my understanding that I can stream wirelessly directly from my Android phone too, but haven't tried to do this yet. I use it for VUDU, NetFlix and Hulu too. If you want to be able to do digital movie rentals in HD or SD there are thousands to choose from including the latest releases, many earlier than when they are available for purchase in the stores. It works better for me and my viewing habits than it would to be spending hundreds or thousands of dollars per year to have digital satellite feeds. I have gotten a lot of good use out of my one time investment in the ROKU device and I appreciate that I don't have any additional cable or satellite fees to be paying, other than my choice to pay for NetFlix downloads and for HULU, which gives me the ability to see most of the current and past TV series I enjoy. It may not be on the same night as it is viewed on broadcast TV; however, it is available only a short time after it has been broadcast the first time.. Good luck making your decision.
Lana Lee LeSoleau answered on October 25, 2012

A
votes
The only free channels I have used is Crackle and Pandora, but when I got the Roku, I also signed up for Amazon Prime. It is about $70 a year and you get the channel which has a lot of free content, and you get the benefit of free shipping on things bought on Amazon (BTW, I don't work for Amazon so this is unsolicited). I do think there are some other channels with free content - maybe some news and weather, etc. I di think the Amazon Prime is worth it because most of what you find on Crackle is either older movies or "B" grade movies... at least in my opinion. The other good "pay" options are Hulu Plus and Netflix. Both are pretty cheap, but I don't use either of them currently.
Steve answered on October 24, 2012

A
votes
Hi
Roku should be paying me. But yes, it is great for free stuff. There are several free services like " Crackle" which offers free movies as well - Crackle throws in a few 15 second commercials but it's nothing. I think you'd be pleased
Gary F. Lee answered on October 24, 2012

A
votes
Aside from Crackle, most of the free channels are pretty lame IMO. If you like old movies/Tv shows with commercials, you might find it worthwhile. But without either Netflix or Hulu, or even Amazon video to sort of 'anchor' your viewing choices, I think you might find it a bit tiresome.
Amazon Customer answered on November 9, 2012

A
votes
Hulu, Pandora, Crackle.. There are a handful. I don't have cable so I do use Amazon Prime and Netflix for my viewing pleasure via the Roku. Oh, and NBC News has a channel that I use too. I do feel that as time progresses, the roku channels will just increase.
A. Lynn answered on October 24, 2012

A
votes
I was hoping this thing would be good for just free stuff too when I bought it. Only took me 48 hours to cave in to netflix for $7.99 a month. Sure, there's tons of free stuff and hundreds of hidden channels, but it's not worth the time spent sieving through crud get to it. Buy one and see for yourself, there's a money back guarantee.
Catherine Sullivan answered on October 26, 2012

A
votes
The free channels i have tried are worth the price of a Roku, but with the other low cost options available, i have thought about dropping cable altogether. The only reason i haven't yet is i want my sports
Aufan1 answered on February 14, 2013

A
votes
I have not counted the channels, but I would say probably between 50-75 free channels... and there are new ones added all the time. It is totally worth it
Donnie Denmon answered on October 24, 2012

A
vote
The only pre-installed free channel that I know of is Crackle. However, if you go to the channel store in settings, you may find more in your searches.
Carol Wakefield answered on October 24, 2012
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›