How many of you have returned Sim City?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 87 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 5, 2013 7:43:53 PM PST
Keef City says:
I noticed a lot of bad reviews for the game and I believe they are all warranted - but I was curious to see how many of you have returned the game and how many of you are planning on keeping it. I think the biggest message gamers can relay to the developer EA is by returning their products. An even bigger message to do it on the day it was released!

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 10:24:39 PM PST
Michael Kyle says:
I wish I could, but EA offers no refund for the PC download. It was a hard $60 lesson, but I am never purchasing another EA game again, and never even consider (no matter how bad I want) purchasing a game which requires constant online surveillance (aka DRM).

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 6:57:13 AM PST
I wish I could too, I had the PC download. Like M. Kyle above, I will never purchase another EA game again.

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 12:19:50 PM PST
M. Wright says:
I did... And I got a full refund from Amazon!

I just posted this on another thread:

Good News! I just heard back from Amazon and they refunded the entire amount to my credit card. The person writing stated "I understand your concern regarding SimCity - Limited Edition [Download]". My origional request for refund was issued by clicking on "View Order Details" on my Amazon order, and clicking on "Problem with this order?" button (on the right). This button allows you to enter an email (with order number). I simply requested a refund in this form. Thanks Amazon for being an amazing company!

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 12:21:19 PM PST
M.S. says:
Good luck getting a refund from EA. If your retailer doesn't do it, you are probably screwed.

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 12:56:15 PM PST
Tim Hogan says:
Amazon is no longer issuing refunds. They are deleting posts that refer that they got one as well. They are trying to send people directly to Origin now. Don't bother preordering from Amazon any more, just go to the source to get screwed directly.

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 1:17:11 PM PST
M. Wright says:
I hope you are wrong Tim... I guess we will find out in the next day or two. It would be nice if Amazon published a formal policy on this.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 1:35:27 PM PST
Nick says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 6:50:39 PM PST
M.Scooby says:
Origin is issuing refunds. Many people have successfully received one after contacting EA. However I have a physical copy and might be SOL. Emailed Amazon to see what they say.

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 8:24:47 PM PST
Amazon is refusing me a refund. They stated that EA is "making a patch" and just want me to blindly hold tight. There was no way around it. They pretty much pointed fingers at EA and said that they have nothing to do with it. I've reported EA through the BBB, blasted their facebook, left several negative reviews AND I just filed a charge back with my credit card company. The representative on the phone said that there should be no reason as to why I don't get a refund. I will never buy/play DRM based games again. I think any company that is dumb enough to go this route is going to sink very fast. CALL your credit card company and file for a charge back.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 8:50:42 PM PST
B. Gross says:
I'm not usually a proponent of mod justice... but in this case, slamming EA with a few thousand credit card charge backs (that must receive a response from a real person) is probably a good way to get their attention. You bought a product that doesn't work, and that is a valid reason for completing a chargeback.

Please note: Only do this if you bought directly from EA. If you purchased it at a store or Amazon doing a chargeback will punish the retailer and teach EA nothing.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 11:27:27 PM PST
NickU says:
I just called Amazon to get my refund. This game is not ready for prime time.

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 11:50:27 PM PST
bochen7e7 says:
I called my credit card company for them to chargeback. Not bothering with EA/ Amazon/ etc

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 3:39:30 AM PST
Jay says:
If you ordered through Amazon then it's worth talking to their customer support, they seem just as frustrated with this game as we are.

EA on the other hand people are getting mixed luck. Some are getting refunds some are not.

Be aware if you initiate a chargeback against EA your Origin account will be automatically banned. Thankfully that's not really an issue considering the Origin library is pathetic with most people having nothing in it anyway.

BF3 could be an issue I suppose or maybe the Sims but it's not like it's hard to get a "free" replacement copy of the Sims now is it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2013 5:24:46 AM PST
Wilinc says:
I have taken it to the next level. I have contacted AMEX. They have have issued a refund. Most credit card will also allow you to dispute the charge if the product does not work as advertised.

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 6:53:22 AM PST
Alex Graham says:
I was able to get a refund from EA. I just stated that depending on how our conversation went and how EA handles the issues with the game going forward I "may" purchase the game at a future date. I told them that I would call my bank if they didn't refund me and I would never buy another EA title again.

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 8:22:46 AM PST
Haha, I am keeping my game sealed since it arrived 2 days ago. How stupid is that? I bought a game on pre launch, it arrived on release day and I haven't opened the package because I am afraid I will not get a refund if I do so.

Still waiting to see some positive reviews and open the package, but so far it doesn't look good... at all.

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 9:09:43 AM PST
W. Guthier says:
This is yet again another lesson for the gaming community . Within a MONTH, 2 games(Sim City, Aliens:Colonial Marines) with massive expectations have been complete mistakes, plagued with problems and/or piss poor content. DO NOT PRE-ORDER or buy on day one anymore,(especially digital downloads, no chance of a refund) this is what is in store for you, why would you buy a game before you even know it is good or in working condition upon release? for a new skin? because you're going to buy it anyway? this mindset allows publishers to get away with things like this, Duke Nukem was a terrible game but it made a monstrous amount of money due to pre order sales. Diablo 3 had thousands of people unable to play for days after the games launch. Skins and DLC are not worth these risks. Make the publishers earn our money and trust, not just hand it over to them before the game is even in the hands of the customer!

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 10:54:05 AM PST
Here's what everyone can do for a refund from EA. Call your bank and file a charge back, if you used paypal file a dispute with paypal (you have 45 days).

If EA gets a ton of charge backs or paypal disputes they might do something about it.

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 11:06:06 AM PST
Lang Xia says:
effing retarded piece of crap, Roller COaster tycoon series and Simcity series were big parts of my childhood and as a grown man i just wanna play these once awesome games again..
this damn thing is not sim city
and why the DRM...
I am kinda angry because EA ruins another franchise.. if someone here tries to file a petition or something, i am in.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2013 11:12:30 AM PST
Nick says:
You are in luck. I am sure there are many more out there but I stumbled on this one last night with Change.org

http://www.change.org/petitions/create-a-100-offline-single-player-mode-in-simcity-2013-remove-the-origin-requirement-from-it-and-bring-back-popular-features-from-simcity-4

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 11:59:00 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 7, 2013 12:04:04 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2013 1:40:49 PM PST
ron says:
I spoke with Amazon customer service twice today and I received a refund on my second call. Amazon has apparently changed their stance on this issue and is refunding to their customers.

Ron Strauss

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 1:44:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 7, 2013 1:45:33 PM PST
LGLEGO says:
Hey Guys, I have just received this answer from Amazon (2013-03-07) this is the kind of things that make me buy everything trought Amazon, not even to look for them in other places:

"Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about the problem you've had with "SimCity - Limited Edition [Download]."

As a standard policy, Games, Game Items, and Software Downloads are not returnable after purchase. However, because of the circumstances, I've made an exception and issued a refund in the amount of $59.99.

Your refund should be completed within the next 2-3 business days and will be applied to the payment method used for the original purchase. Once processed, you'll be able to see the refund request here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/summary/edit.html?orderID=XXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXXXX

Once the refund has been processed, the software will no longer appear in Your Games and Software Library.

We look forward to seeing you again soon."

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 2:01:14 PM PST
J. Williams says:
I have already received a refund.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  64
Total posts:  87
Initial post:  Mar 5, 2013
Latest post:  Apr 29, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
SimCity - Standard Edition [Download]
SimCity - Standard Edition [Download] by Electronic Arts
1.7 out of 5 stars   (3,237)