So, how many others think the pricing is a total joke?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 11, 2008 11:57:07 AM PDT
J. Crowley says:
Running time for this series: 8085 minutes. Price: $326 (up from $299, which was yesterday's price).

Running time for Stargate SG-1: 9900 minutes. Price: $233 (but I managed to get it on sale recently for $164).

Buffy the Vampire Slayer has a slightly shorter running time and nine fewer discs, but it's priced at $180 right now (though, it was about $160 for a while about a year ago).

So what gives? These three shows are all roughly equivalently popular scifi entertainment of equivalent quality. Why is this almost double the others, with very few sales that bring it down to even the ballpark of reasonable pricing? Gyah.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2008 4:12:44 PM PDT
T. stewart says:
i think it is the stuidio.. star trek has always ben high on the price end

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2008 9:56:13 AM PDT
G. Daley says:
I just bought the whole series for $34.99 per season from amazon, thats $244.93 total. It's cheaper to buy each season, so why buy the set? There's no logic in this pricing, but a good deal anyways.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2008 3:31:09 PM PDT
Fargalas says:
It has to do with demand. You might say Buffy and Stargate are equivalently popular and of equivalent quality. The second part of this statement is a matter of opinion, the first is a matter of fact, and your facts are wrong. Star Trek TNG was significantly more successful than either of those shows.

As for the second statement, which I noted as a matter of opinion... I'll give you mine. Buffy is extremely boring, derivative vampire fiction. Nothing special in the least. Certainly not visionary. Stargate, though somewhat entertaining, is more or less a B-list piece of science fiction that broke no boundaries. Such is my opinion, I'm aware that you disagree.

Also, if you're basing the level of popularity on the number of seasons that ran, that'd be inappropriate, since Star Trek TNG ended because the writers felt the story was told, not because of lack of ratings.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2008 9:51:26 PM PDT
U.S. Expat says:
We all like different things to different degrees. If you feel that Star Trek The Next Generation , Stargage, and Buffy are equivalent, and you like them all to the same degree, then, of course, SNG is overpriced for you.
I think most people would put SNG is a completely different category.
For me, it's a fine dramatic show, with distinctive characters, fine acting, and excellent writing. Stargate is just average. Buffy is silly fluff. To each his own.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2008 12:11:39 PM PDT
J. Crowley says:
Success and popularity are entirely different things, you realize.

But if we're going to take that road: Monty Python's Flying Circus -- arguably the greatest influence on contemporary comedy and, I would argue, more popular and well-known than TNG -- is currently $57.99 for the complete series. Of course, this certainly isn't as long in running time as the entire Next Generation series, but even when you multiply it all out, if MPFC's price was extrapolated per running time, it would be $268 -- almost $60 cheaper than this.

And while you might argue that Buffy wasn't "as popular" or whatever, let's check their Amazon sales ranks:

Buffy: Amazon.com Sales Rank: #1,290 in Movies & TV (See Bestsellers in Movies & TV)
MPFC: Amazon.com Sales Rank: #799 in Movies & TV (See Bestsellers in Movies & TV)
Stargate: Amazon.com Sales Rank: #1,596 in Movies & TV (See Bestsellers in Movies & TV)

Compared to:
TNG: Amazon.com Sales Rank: #6,064 in Movies & TV (See Bestsellers in Movies & TV)

Though, perhaps TNG just doesn't sell as well because it's, erm, so damnably expensive. (Though, then what happens to that whole "it's so expensive because of the high demand" argument?)

Posted on Apr 29, 2009 10:48:10 AM PDT
J. Lucas says:
Paramount is greedy. Always have been. When TNG sets were originally released, they were like $70 or $80 if I remember right. The current retail listed price on Amazon is $70, so that seems about right. Check out EVERY OTHER TV SHOW EVER RELEASED ON DVD... they're all priced at $40-60 per season, and usually on sale for under $30. Star Trek has some kind of weird premium added... possibly because some of the fans are so enthusiastic they will buy ANYTHING. And mostly... Paramount is greedy.

Heck just look at the first releases of TOS. They released volumes, not seasons. You had to buy episodes piecemeal if you wanted the whole show. It was a complete ripoff, yet I'm sure lots and lots of "trekkies" bought them.

Paramount has a very loyal fanbase with Trek. And instead of treating them well and giving them high quality releases, they try to nickel and dime them with constant re-releases (double dipping, if you prefer that term) and on top of that, overprice everything they do release.

I love TOS, TNG, and DS9. I sometimes enjoyed Voyager. But there's no way in hell I'll buy any of these sets with the pricing. Meanwhile, Buffy, Angel, 24, Lost, Chuck, Scrubs, Firefly, and several other fine shows get my money and shelf space on my entertainment center.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2009 6:08:12 AM PDT
kisfenkin says:
I just got an email saying 'all star trek is on sale'. What a joke, this set, comprised of the 7 seasons is priced 'on sale' 45% off at $249. Since this box set is a piece of junk (literaly packaged to break), and the price is only $30 short of buying the set seperately, I strongly recommend buying the individual seasons which are currently $38 a piece and they are packaged in better containers, or just watching the show on TV!

Posted on Jun 27, 2009 6:42:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 28, 2009 6:14:08 AM PDT
Perhaps I should re-clarify what I meant yesterday... The complete series is a good value if you really do want to own all seven seasons at once. However, I would consider the old-style of packaging as opposed to this method for that $300+ price tag. Having all seven seasons separate from one another vs. cramming them all into one box of thin hinge sleeves, well, I think most people want to have separations in seasons along the way. They still do this with TOS, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise...so why should TNG be any different in packaging, and still cost more than DS9 or Voyager which still has the traditional separate season packages? I don't get this. I'm sorry, but unless Paramount repackages TNG in the method of selling a package of all seven seasons in their own boxes, I'm probably going to have to buy all seven seasons separately...even if it DOES cost $50 - $75 more, it just makes owning the series a whole lot better and makes watching TNG that much less confusing.

Posted on Nov 12, 2009 12:22:11 PM PST
K. Curley says:
I think that no matter what this price is WAY TOO HIGH! A show this old should be going for twenty bucks a season, tops. Every other series that was released at a high price eventually goes way down (That 70's Show went from around $45 a season to about $20 bucks now). This show is over 20 years old - lower the cost already! Maybe the DVDs will come down when they issue the series on blu-ray...but then again they'll probably delete this set, and the price will skyrocket again because of 'limited supply'!

Posted on Jan 6, 2010 7:17:36 PM PST
The cost *has* gone "way down". The TNG seasons retailed for $100 each when they were originally released.

Posted on Jan 15, 2010 10:07:01 PM PST
M. Chin says:
I am glad I got the silver packaging about 7 years ago when I was in college

got it for my dad's fathers day gift

It was retailed like 500 dollars or something for the whole series
I got it for him for 250 through deepdiscountdvds

great purchase
I watched it all 5 years ago... and just now

after losing my job.. watching again!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  May 11, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 15, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
COMPLETE SEASONS 1-7
COMPLETE SEASONS 1-7 (DVD)
3.7 out of 5 stars   (450)