Customer Discussions > I Will Teach You To Be Rich forum

So many 5 star reviews written on march 23?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 14, 2009 10:29:14 PM PDT
I hate that authors feel they have to spam Amazon to sell books. He may have a good book, I don't know. I haven't ordered it yet (because now I am suspicious).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2009 9:11:56 AM PDT
moonscarlet says:
Yes, the vast majority of reviews for this book are phony. All the 5 star reviews written on March 23 are fraudulent.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2009 1:46:03 PM PDT
Wannabe Spy says:
moonscarlet, how do you know? Ramit's blog has 250,000 readers per month. Is it so hard to believe that a small handful posted positive reviews when his book came out?

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2009 7:37:15 AM PDT
Reviewer says:
Tim Ferris did the same thing. Unfortunately, it works. Also, deleting negative reviews (even legitimate ones) is another tactic these aggressive marketers use. They also cross market and plug one another -I find his blog interesting - sometimes - but I have no interest in reading the book, which seems to be the usual advice packaged for under 30 professionals, which I am not.

Posted on May 18, 2009 2:00:40 PM PDT
I am one of the early reviewers.
I reviewed the book at that time because I had received the book as a pre-order before the 23rd, and Ramit reached out to the readers on his blog who had pre-ordered to write a review.
There was no obligation to do so, no reward, and no stipulation that anyone not be honest.
If I felt the book had been trivial, or not helpful then I would have offered that info in the review.
I understand some people may feel suspicious about the timing, but I call that smart marketing.
It only works if the people who are reviewing the book found it to be compelling and worthy of recommending, which personally I did.

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 11:40:17 AM PDT
He was very recently featured on an online workshop area for creative types called Creative Live. thousands and thousands of people watch this resource. They show it live for free (often 3 days of workshops), then sell the recordings to those who want to rewatch. That could have easily influenced the increase of reviews.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Apr 14, 2009
Latest post:  Mar 27, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
I Will Teach You to be Rich
I Will Teach You to be Rich by Ramit Sethi (Paperback - May 14, 2009)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (471)