Are many of these reviews fake? They all seem too similar to me.
asked by Ben N on October 31, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 answers
A
Amazon is currently enforcing a policy that reviews have to be a certain number of words long. I imagine this policy is in place to prevent unhelpful reviews such as 'great product' or 'terrible product' over and over and over again. The remaining reviewers tend to leave in-depth and truly helpful information.
Jon R Colchagoff Jr answered on March 3, 2013
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I wouldn't be so quick to call these reviews fake. There's a lot of technology built into these inexpensive little cameras. Set up is more involved than most people realize. It's not as simple as plugging in a toaster. Most folks don't possess the technical knowledge or networking skills to set these things up. Worse, the manuals are written in "Chinglish."

Compounding the problem for Foscam is the fact that there are numerous knockoffs to these cameras and a number of third party retailers who offer no support. Many people try to save a buck and go for the cheapest price they can find. This gets them in trouble. Generally speaking, these are the folks who are writing the 1 and 2 star reviews. As a consequence, Foscam will only offer support if you buy from them. Otherwise, they would lose their shirts.

The U.S. based Foscam support team is very responsive and quite good. They're located in Texas so their real names are Bob, Ed, etc. In order to combat the negative comments by the impatient and the clueless, the Foscam folks are asking people to write a review after a successful install. I think that's perfectly reasonable.

Before I'm accused of being a Foscam shill, I'll tell you that I have NO affiliation with the company. I'm a machine vision/automation engineer who designs and builds custom vision/control systems for industry. The camera and lens combinations that I typically use cost thousands of dollars. So to me, these Foscams are merely enjoyable toys that happen to be extremely capable little cameras.
DP answered on March 16, 2013
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I doubt it. The 2 pack has only 77 reviews so I could see how some of them could be suspect but the listing for the single unit of the same camera has over 1000 reviews and a 4.5 star rating. Seems legit to me.
Negative459 answered on November 6, 2012
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product