Customer Discussions > Under The Dome forum

mass market, please!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 23, 2011 6:46:59 AM PDT
Snappy says:
I hate to say that the HUGE format of both the hardback and paperback keep me from enjoying this novel, but I just can't pack it in my bag! Hope it comes out in mass market.

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 7:56:26 AM PST
I hate, hate, HATE those stupid new-sized books, for that exact same reason! Primarily, it won't fit in my bag without a tussle. But they ALSO won't fit on most of my bookshelves (of which I have many) without removing all the books and re-positioning all the shelving. I buy ONLY paperbacks, and ONLY those that are the "normal" size. And I'm patient. I'll wait two years after release until those stupid publishers do the right thing. For "Under the Dome", though, I'm proud to say I scored a Kindle version (for free!) from my son, and I'm reading it on my phone with an app, quite happily. (No Kindle device for me. I've got Nook, Kobo, Google books AND Kindle all in one device...and the apps are FREE!!!<woohoo>) I'll almost certainly be switching all my new-book purchases to electronic media as soon as they reduce the price to the same-or-less as is being charged for a (normal-sized) paperback. And while I'm ranting, HEY AMAZON! I'm on to you. Books are CHEAPER digitally. They start out in digital format, before they go to press. They don't have to be shipped or returned by the stores when they don't sell. Production and distribution costs are, overall, MUCH LOWER for digital. So, how are you justifying me paying MORE? Until you price appropriately...it's not happening; keep dropping those prices and we'll talk. And when that happens, you can take THAT, you stupid, stupid publishers who changed the format! You can keep every last bit of over-sized paper and cram them where your red ink shines! I'd say I'd consider coming back to that format one day...AFTER I finished reading every, single normal-sized paperback on the planet FIRST!!! But since I'm sure that by then Amazon will have figured out they'd sell more books if they weren't being greedy, I won't be buying these stupid, oversized, overpriced, malformed pieces o' crap, even then. Especially now that I have a portable book-sized device allowing me to read electronic media comfortably in the john! I prefer books, I really do. I want that feel, and smell and the enduring nature of the format. (Where will Kindle-format books be in 5 decades? I have books on my shelves older than I am...and they're still perfectly readable!) All I can say is, with this latest unwise decision to screw with the size and shape of the format, your days are numbered, book printers.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Under The Dome
Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Mar 23, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 27, 2011

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Under the Dome
Under the Dome by Stephen King (Hardcover - November 10, 2009)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (4,916)