100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Beauty Videos Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing STEM Toys & Games

So much material on 2 DVDs?? 1979 version split into two??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 9, 2006 7:17:20 PM PDT
dooby says:
With the two films totaling almost 6 hours plus so many supplementary extras, does the picture quality suffer from excessive compression? Could someone comment on what this transfer looks like? Going by the low asking price, the screwed-up aspect ratios, I'm not very optimistic.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2006 10:46:00 AM PDT
Rupe33 says:
According to the review at DVD Talk, this is a newer transfer with a higher bit rate and better encoding than previous versions:

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2006 8:05:45 PM PDT
dooby says:
Thanks for the feedback Rupe. Just read the review. I already have the previous editions so I think I'll wait till it re-emerges in HD and Storaro can't use his lame excuse for panning-&-scanning it to 2.0:1 (it is a P&S and not a simple crop). Actually Storaro's reasoning sounds to me like just a more sophisticated version of the old P&S-to-fullscreen argument. Only this time he's decided to P&S it to 2.0:1 instead of all the way down to 1.33:1. Anyway, the HD version will come round soon enough.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2007 10:09:34 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 5, 2008 10:14:07 AM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Aug 9, 2006
Latest post:  May 14, 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions