For measuring power consumption, which is better the killameter or a cheap clamp meter (sinoscope for $27)
[UPDATED] asked by wattsie on June 17, 2013
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 answers
A
votes
the P3 and others like it lets you keep track of your electrical from that outlet. So you know how much current, volts, amps, Hz, Kwh and hrs. to reset you just turn power off to outlet and it will reset. I am using for solar power kits, I have 240 Watts of panels, but doesn't put out 240 all day, as sun rises and go's down I have a power drop, also clouds, ect. so I use the meter to keep track of how much daily KWH I put in the grid... ( kilo watts hours of power. ) But I also have used it to see what things in my house use in energy as well.. example, my laptop charger pulls almost 1/2 amp of power just being plugged in, electric shaver, TV's ,Microwave, electric clock, ect. So this device can be used for many things. A clamp meter such as Fluck meter, May be more precise, but I haven't compared yet, but this is cheep and easy to monitor power, weather consumed or supplied. Hope this has helped.
Paul Dansby answered on June 17, 2013

A
votes
I am not familiar with the sinoscope, but for 120 volt plug in's the P3 is great. For 208/ 230 a clamp on would be the way to go.
M. Sims answered on June 17, 2013

A
votes
The Killameter is more accurate and more useful.
C Hilton answered on June 17, 2013

A
votes
Power(watt) consumption may be okay with clamp meter. But Kill-A-Watt displayed cumulatative energy(kWh) usage over time. For intermittently operating device like A/C or fridge, Kill-A-Watt tracks the energy usage over a day, a week or a month.
H. Won answered on November 12, 2013

A
vote
hard to say which is "better". Once I measured the power consumption of all my home devices it now lives in a drawer till needed again
Gutcheck answered on June 17, 2013

A
vote
The kill-A-Watt allows for constant/long term monitoring. Personally, I believe that it mostly depends on what you are intending to use it for. For example, to measure the output of solar panels combined with a grid-tie inverter the kill-a-watt is quite convenient.
A. Ortega answered on June 18, 2013

A
votes
Is there another name for a sinoscope? This might be what I'm looking for too, but nothing is coming up in my Amazon search.
J. Mulhearn answered on August 28, 2013

A
votes
A clamp meter has to be used on one side of the circuit to get an accurate reading, so you should clamp only the hot wire or the neutral wire, not both. For consumer electronics, this isn't really possible, so the kill-a-watt is likely to be easier to use and more accurate.
P. Murawski answered on March 18, 2014

A
votes
Having never used a Sinoscope I cannot provide any input. I just know that I am very happy with the Kill-A-Watt for checking all of my video editing equipment power consumption.
Mountain Hiker answered on June 17, 2013
‹ Previous   1   Next ›