Customer Discussions > Mount & Blade - PC forum

Best melee and archery combat system I've played

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 24, 2008 8:15:19 PM PDT
I started playing this game a couple years back while it was still in beta and continue to do so to this day. The concept is so simple you wonder why there aren't more games like it. Its definitely has the best replay value of any game I own. Here's some of the basics.

Combat consists of you and your army, (from 1-100+) battling another force on a rather large map. You can have many different types of horses, countless weapons and armor, and enough community mods to make the game last for years. You manually do pretty much everything, from deciding to swing from the right or left, from up high, or stab. Archery is really fun as you have to compensate for rain and gravity, lead your shots, etc.

Your character and his army gain experience as they personally get kills, and the whole group gets xp for a battle. As you gain experience, you gain levels and can raise stats like strength or intelligence, and raise skills like power draw or pathfinding. Normal soldiers level up as well and have their own progression trees but you do not control what skills they get. There are a number of special NPCs that you may hire and level up like your character however.

For 30 bucks, this game really gives you the best play per dollar than any game out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2008 11:57:17 AM PST
H. Le says:
I agree. Great combat mechanic and immersive battle. Horseback archery is extremely challenging but - when done right - is ultimately awsome. Now, I really have a feel why the Mongol Horde (and also the Parthian) was so feared and respected by their adversaries.

Posted on Feb 14, 2009 8:24:42 PM PST
This has been one of my favorite games for years and years. Only recently have I mastered horse arching--a result of joining the Khergits. There are so many different ways to fight and the most satisfying thing is facing a group of 200 or more with your band of like 40 and coming out alive and with minimal casualties. Awesome, awesome game.

Posted on Jul 22, 2009 7:53:42 PM PDT
M. Vargha says:
First game where I have seen mounted combat successfully implemented. Battles on horseback never get old.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mount & Blade - PC forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Aug 24, 2008
Latest post:  Jul 22, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Mount & Blade - PC
Mount & Blade - PC by Paradox (Windows 2000 / Vista / XP)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (171)