Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Melanie Martinez $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale
Use memory card as application storage? Hello all, Over the years, I hce accumulated many games and applications for Android. My issue with this tablet is the 8GB of storage. Once I install many of my games (some of which take up 500MB or more), I run out of room quickly.

The device as shipped only has 4.3GB of free storage space. That seems pretty low and an 8GB device.

Anyway, my question is... Is there any way to use the memory card expansion as application storage? Or can it only be used for data/music/videos/etc?

Thanks.
asked by Matthew Barnes on April 23, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 answers
A
I must however disagree with K. Leonard who says there is NO way to save your pics, documents, movies, etc - because I have been able to do exactly that, and they can be moved back & forth using the "my files" app - I will point out however, that, some apps will not recognize their data if it is moved to the SD card, so it is dependent on the application - some allow it, some don't - the Zinio magazine app does not, and it did not take me long to fill the available storage.
E. Ford answered on August 29, 2013
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Not in a way designed by Samsung in their adaptation of the OS. Not to say there isn't a hack somewhere, but if you want it to be supported, no.
C3 answered on February 27, 2013
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I have just spent over 2 hours on the phone with Samsung tech support. The bottom line is that there is NO way to save your pics, documents, movies etc to the external storage. NO WAY. not even copy to clipboard.
The external storage can be loaded with files from PC then accessed through the "my files" app. Big deal. If I had known this, I would not have purchased the device.
K. Leonard answered on December 17, 2012
Comments (2) | 6 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
[Deleted by the author on Dec 5, 2012 6:36:29 AM PST]

A
The sd card is used only for pics, music, books,but there are ways to get memory I use most amazon apps which get stored in cloud , dropbox for docs and there are apps u install for app storage.
Amazon Customer answered on December 5, 2012
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
It is my understanding that the sd card is only for external items..photos music etc. So far I've not had any problem with running out of room with apps.
K. Goss answered on May 4, 2012
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
No go for me if I can't move my apps to sd card. I was using a rooted LG Optimus V and was happy moving apps to sd card. It was indeed diappointing to find out that though I can use a 32 gb card, it is not for apps, but only for music, photos and video. This puppy is going back. I have a whole bunch of apps, that I want an option to be available to me. Sad indeed.
Shellz answered on May 2, 2012
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
This problem has been confirmed by many tech news outlets and forums. App to SD has been standard on Froyo and Honeycomb so one would think this will be standard on ICS (4.0). With any new OS, expect oversights and errors. Expect a fix in future updates... knock on wood.
CincySteve answered on April 24, 2012
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
4.3GB of storage may be enough for most Android users, however, once I install a handful of games that require additional data to be downloaded as well as the well over 100+ games/apps, it completely drains my memory.

No, I dont need them all installed at the same time, but in a next generation device, it would be nice to be able to do so.

Will Samsung be coming out with a 16 or 32G version of this device?
Matthew Barnes answered on April 24, 2012
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Hmmm, you're right, looks like this is mainly a phone-only app. There are only 7-8 scattered tablet user reviews; and about half say it doesn't work for them. Hundreds of happy phone users. The app's details page lists many limitations/restrictions/conditions for usage. Expand the description on the "overview" tab.

There *should* be an app for this function on tablets, though I think Samsung/Android intended the external storage on this device to be for files only...
E. M. Lisansky answered on April 24, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product