Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 8, 2009 7:43:33 AM PDT
LindaC says:
Just heard you on the Glenn Beck show, about the murder of your dog. Brother, I feel your pain. The Bible says, "Vengeance is mine, says the Lord, I will repay." Because today is not the day of judgment, though that is coming. GOD will take care of those evil scumbags who killed your dog, sooner or later. And God will do it without you becoming a big target and winding up in jail, and He'll do it better than you can. Hold on brother! You made the right decision, holding yourself back from wasting these creeps. And please consider getting yourself a dog from the pound, who needs you! And that will help heal your heart. God loves you. And it probably won't be too long from now, the way things are going, that God will make each person give an account for himself in His presence.

Posted on Apr 9, 2009 5:56:32 PM PDT
Winston says:
I really felt bad for him and his poor dog. I hope these criminals are caught and tried for their heinous crime. I hope Marcus finds peace. I am sorry about your loss, sir!

Posted on Apr 9, 2009 10:56:38 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 9, 2009 10:56:59 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 10, 2009 11:38:16 AM PDT
F. knapp says:
marcus
i just completed your book lone survivor and my heart goes out to you and your wonderful team.
i am a former recon marine and i have seen first hand the kind of training seals get and i can say
without reservation the seals are the best the navy has to offer. axe,danny and mikey will never be forgotten brother so help me god.
special forces forever
frank

Posted on Apr 18, 2009 7:01:51 PM PDT
Retired USMC, we need birddog as a spotter to call in air strikes on pirates. Lets keep that edge so we can be ready.
Semper Fi

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2009 3:27:45 AM PDT
F. knapp says:
you can bet seals and other special forces are already in country sir.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2009 3:02:48 PM PDT
Yes they are and can't wait to be called for another mission. But its always hurry up and wait and constant practice to keep skills honed.
USMC, Ret

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2009 6:16:41 PM PDT
Sun Tzu says:
I have to add my voice to the words of condolence for Mr Luttrell after he suffered the loss of his dog in such a brutal and needless way.

Mr Luttrell is obviously a truly exceptional and remarkably strong individual, not only on the evidence of his military career, but also from the recent news reports of this incident.

Hearing this news story left me sickened and angry. It is a testament to Mr Luttrell's self-discipline and control that he acted as he did. Best wishes to you, Mr Luttrell.

Posted on May 3, 2009 11:07:54 AM PDT
Howie says:
I didn't hear about the attack on you Marcus. My message is simple , Thank you for your sacrifice to this country.I think everyone on that team of your should have gotten the Medal!
I believe in letting our warriors win any way they can if this country asks them to go to war.

God Bless you and keep you.
I can't imagine what you went through. If I knew of any way to assist you I would.

Posted on May 15, 2009 9:31:54 PM PDT
Great book, very inspiring even though i will never come close to being a SEAL. its the ethos that matters though for me. Pitch this book for a movie, 'Blackhawk Down' was directed well and turned out to be close to the book in many ways. I think 'Lone Survivor' could be a great film to introduce regular Americans to SEALS, Afghanistan and its people, decision making under pressure in combat etc. etc.

Posted on May 16, 2009 2:20:55 AM PDT
Hey, Marcus - Read this blog post about your old buddy Billy Shelton here:

http://perfectpushupllc.ning.com/

Keep up the fight, my friend.

Posted on Jun 16, 2009 5:52:59 PM PDT
God bless you Marcus. You are an inspirational American. Your book should be required reading for all Americans. Reading your book made me prouder to be an American. Not knowing you but knowing there are people like you is what makes this country great. You are my hero as are all the other members of the SEALS. Please accept my condolences for the loss of your brothers and may your cross be easier to bear in the future. Semper Fi American Hero!!

Posted on Dec 21, 2009 12:55:37 PM PST
SWChance says:
What an heartbreaking story. Thank you for sharing this as it was fascinating, scary and sorrowful. The brotherhood that you share(d) with your team is powerfully strong and amiss for most others these days. May God continue to leave your rifle close by and watch over you safely. Bless you.

Posted on Jan 24, 2010 8:26:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2010 8:28:32 AM PST
FeltonBill says:
Just read the book. 1st..I am more of a libertarian than anything, so you all dont do the knee-jerk.."he sounds like a liberal" on me. Remember Ron Paul got more active military donations than anyone at the last election. I have this opinion that how we do our foreign policy and military is a complete mess, ineffective and narrow minded. The blind loyalty..'I get tears when I see old glory flying' some military people show is just plain lazy. I thought Marcus was very naive in parts of the book, then again he is young. Americans who arent humble and dont travel and see the world much to me are how are military keeps getting fresh new troops.
Having said all that which I'm sure will piss some people off, I was impressed with the book. I've read every book about the Seals and this was another good one. The sure determination, love for his fellow servicemen, and conscience was what Marcus has in spades. Jeez how many times can a person fall down a mountain? The most amazing part for me was the honor, friendliness and unshakable commitment the Afghan villagers showed Marcus as they refused to give him up to the Taliban. THIS is the part of the book we all need to get. Marcus got it,,we all should. I would love to have Marcus meet Greg Mortenson ..the author of 3 Cups of Tea and Stones Into Scools. Those books are about another ballsy American who is fighting terroism another way, by building schools in the most remote parts of Pakistan and Afghanistan. Which I think is the best way. So does Admiral Mullen who is in both books. I have a feeling Marcus and Greg will work together one day as they both have a love of the true spirit of the Afghan people.

Posted on Apr 12, 2010 5:27:25 AM PDT
Germaine says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2010 5:36:47 AM PDT
F. knapp says:
Sir how dare you tell Marcus what he should do with the money from his book.
He did enough for this country. Did you forget he and the others let some people go
rather than killing them for the sake of their misson? The very people who let the taliban know where they were. Most of the people in that town was probably taliban sympathizers. Marcus will go through life with not only painful memories but a painful body as well and he dont owe anyone anything.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2010 11:03:25 AM PDT
Germaine says:
I'm pointing out to Marcus that the very people who went to incredible, great, heroic lengths to save his life are still receiving death threats from the Taliban and are living in abject poverty, while he has the financial means from the proceeds of this book to help them. I have faith in Marcus, and I think he will, because I think that he really is a Christian and not just saying it to sell his book better. I guess we'll find out soon.
Marcus does not owe his gratitude to our country; we didn't save him. He was personally saved by Mohammad Gulab and the village doctor Sarawa, without whom he would not be alive. They have nothing to do with the goatherders, who were from another village.
Along with the horrific, painful memories of that fateful mission, Marcus also has very positive memories of the incredible kindness and generosity of the people of the village of Sabray. And now with the proceeds of the book and upcoming movie, the financial means to help those people who saved his life.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2010 11:19:17 AM PDT
F. knapp says:
sir you may be right to an extent but there were several Americans who gave their lives trying to rescue Marcus as well. The majority of the people inthat village of sabray would have loved to have seen him dead. He had friends he lost in the firefight whose families i think he would rather see bennefit.
I fought in special forces in Vietnam and i think i can speak for most special forces their brothers mean more to them than their enemy.
Mohammad Gulab and the village doctor did a wonderful thing with the help of God.
I dont think God would expect payment nor do i think Gulab or the village doctor deserve it.

Posted on Apr 12, 2010 5:37:52 PM PDT
Germaine says:
Mr. Knapp, I'm sure you fought bravely in Vietnam, and you should be proud of that. I was only a little girl when the Vietnam War was going on, but I remember in high school listening to a student teacher who had fought in Vietnam describe in detail how difficult it is to fight a guerilla war. But I think that is where the similarities between Vietnam and Afghanistan end. In Vietnam, you had only two sides, the communist North Vietnamese Army allied with the Viet Cong versus the anticommunist South Vietnamese Army allied with the United States. In Afghanistan you have multiple factions, I remember vaguely that it was the Northern Alliance together with two other groups that helped the United States subdue the Taliban back in 2001, and there are multiple ethnic groups speaking different languages and from 3 different sects of Islam. The vast majority of the Afghan population does not particularly like the idea of occupation by the United States or ANY outside power because they are a proud and independent group of peoples (yes, plural; they are different ethnic groups). But they do like what the United States is helping the government to do, which is keep the Taliban at bay, because as Marcus says (and it agrees with other things that I have read), as Marcus says, "by the late 1990's, by 1999, the Taliban had shown their true colors and ruled with a Draconian force that oppressed the Afghan people." So the majority of Afghan people do NOT like the Taliban. Basically, the Taliban attract aimless, uneducated young men in Afghanistan the way that street gangs attract our aimless, uneducated, inner city youth -- why, because it gives them a brotherhood to belong to when they don't fit in with the rest of society.

Mr. Knapp, I think that you are mixing up the villages in "Lone Survivor." The Taliban-dominated- village where the goatherders were was located at a much higher elevation than the village of Sabray. Don't you remember, Marcus and the others kept falling down each time the Taliban advanced. Marcus had fallen down 4 or 5 times before he landed in the village of Sabray, so it was probably a walk of several DAYS (unless you're parachuting down) between the two villages.

And the people of the village of Sabray did a bold and courageous thing to stand up to the Taliban, so they were not Taliban sympathizers. Basically, by invoking the local custom of "lokhay," it was like the movie "Witness" with Harrison Ford, you know, where the entire unarmed Amish village shows up at the top of the hill, and says to the killers, "What are you going to do, kill us all?"

So one cannot just lump all Afghan people together and call them the enemy. To think that all Afghan people are bad or all Muslim people are bad is misguided and wrong. Remember this: we have the Taliban in the United States too. Over here, they're called the KKK. Ignorance and hatred are twin brothers. I'm not saying that you personally are bigoted, but I'm definitely saying that prejudice and bigotry take you down a very dangerous path.

The bravery of the people of the village of Sabray is wonderful and heroic. And I hate to think that they've been forgotten, and been left to live in terrible poverty after all the wonderful things that they did for Marcus.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2010 7:18:19 PM PDT
F. knapp says:
First let me say i am sorry , i thought you was a man.
You are a very wise person and i never intended to compare
vietnam with Afganistan only that i had fought in vietnam in special forces.
You are right the two wars really are not similar but the operations are as far
as gaining information about the enemy.
It has been a while since i read Marcus's book and yes i did forget that he had fallen down the hill several times.
I guess in closing it is up to Marcus what he wants to do.
I have no doubt he is thankful to those who saved his life just like i have no doubt
he feels terrible about the guys who died trying to save his life.
He will relive that terrible fire fight many many times during his life and he will have a daily reminder from the pain he still has from his wounds of that fire fight.
I pray that he has found God and found the inner peace that he so deserves.
God be with you.

Posted on Apr 13, 2010 7:50:28 AM PDT
Germaine says:
Dear Marcus,
Maybe I'm not expressing it as clearly and urgently as I could. So let me tell you this story (on the bestseller lists in bookstores):
A man seeking refuge from the mafia hides out in the Appalachian Mountains of West Virginia. His odyssey of several days ends with him with near death wounds from the mafia that are nursed by the people in a small village in West Virginia. They are too poor to own a car, so they carry him for miles, even in the onset of a blizzard. From doing so, they wind up with permanent frostbite wounds. When the man comes back to civilization, he is hailed as a hero who fought the mafia. From the publicity, the state of West Virginia gives the village paved roads and a generator, which is a great improvement. Except that the people in the village are still living with death threats from the mafia, they have leaky roofs making it freezing in winter, they still have to use outhouses because they have no running water, and there is no doctor around for miles and miles. Meanwhile, the man goes on to write a memoir of his experience of how the impoverished, indigent people of the village rescued him from the mafia and makes millions of dollars from this story.

So if the man is a good, Christian man, what would he do with the millions of dollars he is making from telling the story? One thing that he could do would be to build a medical clinic for the peole in the village in Appalachia!!! So . . . what is the only difference between my fictional story and your real life story? The color of the people's skin, their ethnic background, their religion? If you're Afghan and you're poor and Muslim as well, then you're dirt and you're not worth anything? No, of course not, that's not what a true Christian thinks. And I know that YOU don't think like that. I just want to remind you that you can do something to help these people.

Marcus, I am really hoping that when your movie comes out this year, it will end with some actual real life footage of you presenting a medical clinic to Sarawa and Mohammad Gulab. Wouldn't that make a great ending? Maybe you're already planning it. You have this unique opportunity to be not ONLY a wonderful wartime hero, but a wonderful real time hero as well, who helps real people trapped in danger and poverty!

Posted on Nov 20, 2011 4:39:59 AM PST
S. Watts says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2012 11:49:34 PM PDT
Emi says:
AMEN!
WELL SAID

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 11:52:38 PM PDT
Emi says:
His Life. His story. His money.
Leave him alone.
He has paid "in full"

Posted on Jan 27, 2014 8:30:01 PM PST
The book is garbage, filled with errors and distortions, and as he was the only survivor we have only his word for most of it even happening. Long story short idiotic seal team bumbles around in a foreign country gets ass handed to them by local freedom fighters and then single survivor is rescued by heroic locals and the survivor turns the whole thing about him him him. Speaks to his ego that does.

Im a combat vet from Vietnam and I know for a fact he is speaking garbage with this stuff. No way hed be able to do the things he did or remember exact sequences of a battle. When youre under fire its like youre in a tunnel and afterwards you remember stuff but not what order it happened in. Also its never about a single soldiers actions but the teams in total. He writes like it was all him.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  18
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Apr 8, 2009
Latest post:  Dec 28, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10
Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10 by Marcus Luttrell (Mass Market Paperback - May 1, 2009)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (10,482)