Customer Discussions > Dead or Alive 5 forum

Well they messed up ninja gaiden 3, Who wants to bet they destroy this too?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 1, 2012 12:02:53 AM PDT
J. hamilton says:
They ruined Ninja Gaiden 3, I really hope they dont do that with DOA.

Posted on May 5, 2012 2:01:28 PM PDT
Retroplore says:
I saw videos on YouTube regarding the upcoming game "Dead or Alive 5". I absolutely love them. It seems that video games become better and better. But, I also still enjoy playing the older games as well.

Dead or Alive 4

Dead or Alive 3

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 7:17:59 PM PDT
Wells says:
They most likely won't since Ninja Gaiden and DoA are two totally different genres. The fighting genre is probably their forte, so all we can do is hope.

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 9:17:16 AM PDT
I still think the team has the chops and DoA5 is looking damn good.
As far as NG3 is concerned it seems they are learning from their mistakes, the WiiU version that's on the way fixes a lot if not most of the issues us NG fans had with it.

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 6:24:27 PM PDT
They're actually two completely separate teams within Team Ninja. This game looks good.

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 10:34:31 AM PDT
D. Lynch says:
I'm not sure there's much to "destroy" in DOA. It's never been a very good series, and I've always found the fighting mechanics shallow. Still, I've bought most of the DOA games in the past and I'm looking forward to this one. Hopefully they've nailed it this time.

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 7:06:26 AM PDT
gmerdude says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 11:59:19 AM PDT
This game can never be destroyed. This looks better than the DOA 4.

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 1:44:55 PM PDT
For Ninja Gaiden 3 they changed up way too much in an attempt to appeal to a wider fanbase. They're playing it relatively safe with DOA 5. They're listening to the fans: for example, that powerup move where things go into slow-mo before your character delivers a power blow can only be triggered when your character's health is below 50%, so it can't be abused.

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 8:29:39 AM PDT
savantique says:
As an avid fighting game player, one long-standing gripe I've had with the series was the counter system. It is completely retarded how you can execute a counter maneuver while the opponent's got you in a "combo". Nevermind that the game's HUD will say combo (complete with a hit counter), there's no legitimately safe combo in the game unless you've initiated it from a move that makes your opponent airborne. The metagame therefore basically devolves into feeling out who's got their counter on standby and punishing a whiffed counter with a tried and true launcher to bread and butter. In short, 2-bit depth. Let's see if they change this in DOA5 (I will be pleasantly surprised if they do).

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 1:09:40 PM PDT
C. Hamilton says:
That counter system is what makes Dead or Alive different, and more enjoyable than the "touch of death" or launcher-based gameplay of other fighters. Its also what keeps the characters balanced, and lets the bigger, slower fighters like Bayman and Bass compete against faster, smaller fighters like Ayane and Lei-Fang, and prevents some of the terrible mismatches that occur in other fighter games.

There should be no safe combos in DoA - the goal is have to constantly mix-up and fake-out your opponent in order to get the best combo and most damage in. Combos still have a place, but you can't rely on one, and you need to be smarter about it, and use the different variations of the similar combos to throw off someone's counter.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 2:24:18 PM PDT
savantique says:
Wow. Did you miss this part?

"The metagame therefore basically devolves into feeling out who's got their counter on standby and punishing a whiffed counter with a tried and true launcher to bread and butter."

High-level DOA play is still launcher-to-combo based (because it's the only safe way to get big damage otherwise). Look at tournament videos on YouTube and tell me differently. The counter system does the exact opposite of making it more enjoyable, because everyone eventually plays rock paper scissors with each other and no game should reward anyone for being able to punish the opponent for your own mistakes; which is precisely why people have an issue with Street Fighter IV's Ultra system and Marvel 3's X-Factor system being used as a severe potential comeback mechanic for example.

If you're good at, say, King of Fighters, it shows. If you're good at Virtua Fighter, it shows. You know why? Because KOF's "touch of death" combos are situational and the execution barrier is such that your inputs need to be on point in a certain timeframe or you're immediately at a disadvantage.

In VF, the big characters are not at a particular disadvantage compared to the rest of the cast - they have a uniform normal set, and every character can get huge amounts of damage if they know how to capitalize on tsubaki's, sidesteps, staggers and counterhits. It's all about frame advantage and knowing what's safe and unsafe on block, because you'll get blown up trying to mash out of a bad situation (the exact opposite of DOA).

Even in SFIV and MVC3, smaller, combo-heavier characters have different stamina values and damage output to counteract their speed and mixup potential - meaning you still have to be careful when you play them or they die easily (which is why an entire community is dedicated to killing Dark Phoenix users in one fell swoop). Spacing plays a bigger role, controlling space, and knowing the best strategy for a given team/character combination instead of "oh he stuck out something slow/whiffed a counter, time to launch into my single most damaging combo since he's airborne now".

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 7:00:58 AM PDT
Team Ninja already screwed up DOA with DOA4. I played DOA, DOA2, DOA3, DOA Ultimate, I get to DOA4 and find the developers jumbled the combos to my favorite characters, even removing some techniques altogether... essentially neutering them. This is the worst thing you can possibly do to a fighting game- alienating the player from his favorite characters. I halfway want to try DOA5 for sentimental reasons but I'm still pissed just thinking about what they did, let alone all the rebalancing or should I say "un" balancing- giving Hayabusa some of the cheapest moves I've ever seen in a fighting game

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 12:24:01 PM PDT
Jon Garlit says:
I personally loved DOA 4, especially because of the counter system. I am a bit worried on how good this will be with Team Ninja not as it once was but I figure it will be worth a shot. Biggest problem I have is I can't resist collector editions!

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 9:29:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2012 9:30:46 PM PDT
I don't think they'll mess it up. They learned a lesson with NG3. Hayashi said they messed up trying to make a "Japanese hamburger". In other words, they tried too hard to appeal to American audiences and did something out of their specialty, which ended up appealing to nobody. DOA5 (and NG4) will be sushi.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2012 4:06:48 PM PDT
Tim says:
if the team did mess up DOA5 during production, hayashi or anyone else in the team would not have had enough time to make this game "sushi"

we can only hope the game wasn't messed up to begin with. there was absolutely no time for team ninja to listen to feedback and go back and fix DOA5
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Dead or Alive 5 forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  May 1, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dead or Alive 5
Dead or Alive 5 by TechnoMarine (Xbox 360)
4.4 out of 5 stars (87)