Is there a metric version? My mom lives in Europe and I don't want to send her one that won't work in her country.
asked by J. Spitzer on December 21, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 31 answers
A
votes
because the 571 banana slicer was made in the u.s.a. a metric version is not in production. however with slight modification, metric bananas can be converted to standard.
Lee answered on December 22, 2012

A
votes
I don't believe it will work overseas. I have contacted the manufacturer and asked if they will make a version that will work in Europe and one that will work in Asia. Perhaps the 572 and 573 will do just that. Until then I am keeping my eyes "peeled" for an after-market adapter kit on ebay and etsy.
Ann Landers answered on December 22, 2012

A
votes
The easiest way to get a metric version is to go on Canada's Amazon website...although I'm not sure if they will deliver to a US address. I live in Canada so I just ordered it from amazon.ca and they sent me the metric version. I gotta say, the metric version is much easier to deal with than the US version. 10 slices equal one banana. Whereas in the US, it's...what, 12 slices make one banana? That just makes no sense.
GMan answered on December 28, 2012

A
votes
Yes, the US version has the slicers spaced at 0.375". The metric version has the slicers spaced at 9.525 mm. I hope that helps.
Patrick R. Armstrong answered on December 22, 2012

A
votes
Yes there is a metric version... And there is also a left hand and right handed model too! ...Also make sure the bananas you buy are all curved in the same direction, or you will have problems slicing the the wrong curved ones.
big bob answered on December 22, 2012

A
votes
It can be made metric with a pair of pliers.
richard bergquist answered on December 22, 2012

A
votes
I am sure that she appreciates your thoughtfulness, but you would have to order the metric conversion chart, with handwritten instructions to fine tune it, and that might be too complicated. Plus she would also need the time zone conversion chart to calibrate it. It might just be too much for her.
Jim D. answered on December 23, 2012

A
votes
Don't be silly. Obviously if you use it on a metric banana, it will produce metric slices.
NY Guy answered on December 25, 2012

A
votes
There MUST be one. They take Euros, Shillings, Francs, and other European currencies.
Frosty in Omaha answered on December 22, 2012

A
votes
No. However, you can purchase the Hutzler 571a Metric Adapter Kit, which meets all European safety requirements and was designed to meet ISO 4000 standards, for the nominal cost of 20,000 Euros (VAT not included).
Manolo answered on December 23, 2012
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   Next ›