misspellings and grammatical errors

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 25, 2010 9:51:51 AM PDT
Why so many errors, at least in the kindle version?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2010 3:58:20 AM PDT
Mark C. Hawk says:
Do you mean errors in words/spelling/text...or the technology problems associated with the device? IMHO, I imagine the good old jobs of "Editor" (or even Proof-Reader) are slowly being fazed out by some "Pre-Publication Spell Check," which will correct all the words (or at least the ones your Kindle thinks are wrong) and even make suggestions to the author as to grammatical usage, sentence structure, and eventually...story ideas. Mr. Kindle will say "It would make more sense for Main Character to be named Jenny. Would you like to make this change?" "She should be a Social Worker and not a nurse. Would you like to make this change, and any prior references to Main Character (Jenny) being a nurse? If yes, please select dialogue options from the following options...) I guess I'm old fashioned still (No, I AM old fashioned...no doubt) but I like the look and feel of a book in my hands, pickiing up a book based soley on it's cover, or even the excitment of driving home to "dig in" to what looked so interesting in the bookstore. (Remember those? I fear they tooo are on their way out.) Seeing the cover of the book I'm reading when I pick it up, going to my favorite bookmark to see where I left off...these are all things I enjoy about the act of reading - as enjoyment, as education, as relaxation, etc. Granted, a Kindle would take up much less room than years of favorite books read and saved for future enjoyment, to re-read, to loan to friends, (and much easier to move!) but books - for me at least - are more than just words in a font-friendly format, downloaded for one's enjoyment. I look at SO MUCH computer content daily, I don't want to look at (gaze at...STARE at) any more screens, fonts, or anything of that nature when I'm finally ready to unwind. (And I do read to unwind.) Also, books never threaten to "break down" "need a new battery," or have the page you're reading flame-out in a blue zap in the middle of a paragraph. And should you lose your book, have it stolen, etc., I imagine it's cheaper to replace (or borrow from a friend or library) than another Kindle. (I imagine there's a huge after-market for light, liftable technology such as this, the I-Pad, etc.) One thought: They would be great for traveling, but I'd keep it with you at all times - or you'll be back to buying paperbacks at the airport gift shop.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2010 8:21:17 AM PDT
CLG says:
I guess you don't know much about the Kindle or the process that books go through in publishing now. Publishers no longer typeset. The book exists from a very early point in the process as a file. The Kindle is a passive receiver of the file. All errors are made by the publisher during the process of producing and editing the books.

While I have no objection to people fetishizing the experience of reading a hard copy book-- I love some of my books as well. But there's also a pleasure to be found in a well formatted file available on the Kindle at exactly the place I left off reading.

This spring I was reading a book from a New York Publisher in which I found 49 pages out of 298 with significant errors relating to the text including some words that did not mean what the author thought they did. I checked a copy of the hard copy version and found every error to be in the print book as well. Clearly the problem wasn't with the process of formatting the book for the Kindle but with the publisher and the editing process.

Posted on Oct 1, 2010 4:49:37 AM PDT
Some of these authors need a lesson in grammar. Publishers don't care, I guess. Punctuation, repeated pages. The written word is not what it used to be.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Aug 25, 2010
Latest post:  Oct 1, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Wicked Appetite (Lizzy and Diesel)
Wicked Appetite (Lizzy and Diesel) by Janet Evanovich (Hardcover - September 14, 2010)
3.7 out of 5 stars   (774)