5.0 out of 5 stars Spanish, Yes! English, Yes! French, NO!
I like this in English, LOVE it in Spanish and deplore the French translation.
The spanish moves along smoothly, neatly matching the english yet retaining enough of its own flavor so that it's not a painful literal translation of the original (see: Cat in the Hat for awful translation).
The french translation is so bad I couldn't get more than a few pages in...
Published on March 25, 2004 by Theodore Bush

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible translation
It is difficult to understand the ideas behind the translated sentences.

We have found that is easier to read it in English and translate it as is being read.

It was probably translated using a computer based translator and nobody speaking the language checked that it made sense at all.

I would definitely not recommend this translated...
Published on May 7, 2010 by M. Morales

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Spanish, Yes! English, Yes! French, NO!, March 25, 2004
I like this in English, LOVE it in Spanish and deplore the French translation.
The french translation is so bad I couldn't get more than a few pages in before I lost it in crankiness. Results in a very different feel/flow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written and a lovely story., April 26, 2001
I have two copies of this book, one given as a present by my sister and one bought by my wife. This is one of the loveliest books I have ever read to my children. At some moment, I felt my voice tremble and almost started to cry. It's kinda cinematographycally written and ilustrated. The characters - the mother and the boy - are very well described, and this is a typical situation that happens to everybody, that's why this is a so lovely book. Everybody should have it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of our favorites!!, August 6, 2001
Nikol Le Vine "poet17" (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this book because, although I'm not completely fluent in Spanish (yet!), I wanted to expose my son to different languages. I love Where the Wild Things Are, so this seemed an obvious choice for us. The story is wonderful and imaginative. The illustrations are some of the best in children's literature. Some of the pages in the book have no narration. Only pictures. So it appeals to younger book enthusiasts who aren't quite old enough to read. One of the best additions to your home library you'll ever find!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Story for the Ages, September 13, 2004
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
My two sons absolutely loved this book. They liked the idea of going "where the wild things are" and the book inspired a lot of play in our house. The book nicely balances the child's need for imaginative thinking with a sense of limits, and the pleasures of home. The illustrations clearly make this book great, because they provide a launch pad for this imaginary place. This is one of a handful of books that will bond you with your child for the rest of your lives. Don't miss that opportunity!

Unlike some children's books which are a little boring for the adults to read after the 350th time, I always enjoyed this one because I could think new thoughts each time I read it.

I think this is one of the best five books for children.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible translation, May 7, 2010
M. Morales (Baja California, Mexico) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Donde viven los monstruos (Álbum clásico) (Historias Para Dormir) (Spanish Edition) (Hardcover)
It is difficult to understand the ideas behind the translated sentences.

I would definitely not recommend this translated version as it is probably the worst I have ever seen published in a text.

5.0 out of 5 stars The translation is excellent, April 25, 2001
Tabitha C "TC" (Paramus, New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
If you're familiar with the English version, then you already know The story is terrific (My 18 month old loves both). What's really nice about this, is that the translation manages to capture a sense of beat and poetry similar to the original English and still remain a fairly accurate translation.

5.0 out of 5 stars buenisimo, February 9, 2009
Im twenty one and i bought this book for my four year old sister. I was a little worried because my little sister only speaks spanish and i was worried about the transaltion of the book. I wanted it to have the same mood the english book had. but i had nothing to worry about. the translation is really good and its my little sister's favorite book! She loves it with a passion. lol!! As i was reading it to her the first couple times, she was mesmorized and i could tell her imagination was trying to wrap itself around the story line. Anyways i recomend this to everyone. great book. great illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this book all over again!, January 5, 2007
Meara (Walnut Creek, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Where the Wild Things Are was one of my very favorite books as a child. My nieces and nephew live in Mexico, so I bought this book for them. I cannot remember how many times I read it sitting on the couch with them in my lap. They loved it and I loved it. Very well translated and as always a joy to read.

Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent translation, November 6, 2007
This was one of my favorite books growing up. I'm glad I was able to get it for my daughter in Spanish. The translation is accurate and consistent with the story as it is in English. Truly a classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars just as fun in Spanish, August 27, 2001
Jessica E. Hope (Woodside, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I was afraid the text would be too long or the pictures too scary for my 4 month old to enjoy this, but I was wrong. She thinks it's great, and we love looking at the monsters together.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›