5.0 out of 5 stars A Washington Institution for 75 years, April 10, 2005
An interesting conversation took place the other day. I mentioned to my grandfather, now in his early 80s, that I had just bought the new book entitled "All those Mornings...at the Post." And he responded with, "I grew up reading Shirley Povich."

My response: "So did I, and I am 25." And so did my father. That's the amazing thing about Povich - he linked generations. He wrote about stars from Walter Johnson to Michael Jordan and everyone in between.

As a freelance sports writer, and former sports editor of my college newspaper, the Towerlight in Towson, Md., Povich was my biggest inspiration growing up and I would be willing to bet that most other sportswriters or aspiring sportswriters feel the same way.

I tried to put in perspective to my wife how influential he was. I said he is the Humphrey Bogart of sports writing. He is the epitome of what newspapermen should be and he was just as good in 1994 as he was in 1924.

The amazing thing is he never retired and wrote his final column the day before he died in 1998. This book brings his most important columns to life and for people of my generation we get to live events such as the Senators' only World Series title in 1924 for the first time.

This book is a treasure and is highly recommended to anyone who has ever read a sports column. Chances are the person who wrote the column did so because Shirley L. Povich inspired him.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Soul of Sports Journalism, May 14, 2005
D. Sean Brickell (gorgeous Virginia Beach, VA United States) - See all my reviews
Rarely does a book take me very long to read, especially when its composed of a series of short pieces such as newspaper columns. Journalism isn't supposed to be literature, and sports writing particularly is mainly to give the doggone scores.

Then again, calling Mr. Povich a sportswriter is about as accurate as calling the Pope a good man.

Mr. Povich was the genuine soul of the almighty Washington Post, perhaps the most principled writer ever to grace the pages of any newspaper's sports section. He belongs in the very rare and esteemed company of great journalists such as Cronkite, Mencken, Twain and pehaps a few others.

Yeah, these pieces give you the story. What's more, you get the story behind the story. And it's done in language a 13-year-old can read and understand.

Knowing perfectly well how special this collection is, I read it as slowly as possible. Why rush a good thing? I'm sure Mr. Povich had to fight the daily deadline pressures to produce the work. The least we can do is savor his command of language and keen insight into human character.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a visit with an old friend, May 12, 2005
For almost 75 years Shirley Povich was a fixture on the sports desk of the Washington Post. He didn't exactly invent sports reporting, but he certainly help define it in a unique way. His style of reporting, his style of writing created a respect that went beyond sports. He used the sports world as a window on the broader world of America. Sports reflected the dramatic changes in American society over the course of the twentieth century from the depression, to war, to race, to everything else.

The problem with newspaper columns is that they get recycled with the rest of the paper. Only once in a while are a lifetime of columns lovingly collected by people who care (his children and a sports editor) and are published as a book.

If you are familar with the original columns, here is a visit with old friends. If you have not read the originals, here is the way that sports (and maybe everything else) should be reported.

This book is an absolute delight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Povich is America, April 7, 2005
Sports Man (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
Long live the legacy of Shirley Povich. This book brings to the current generation the work of the best, Shorley Povich. It is mandatory reading for every sports fan!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Look Back at 7 Decades of Sports, August 2, 2005
George (Martinsville, Va United States) - See all my reviews
I grew up in Washington reading Shirley Povich regularly. I read him for about 20 years in the Post. The interesting footnote to that is that he had "retired" before I ever started reading his columns!

The scope of this work is breathtaking. How many journalists coverd the 1924 Senators World Series as well as their last game in 1971. Oh and for good measure he covered the start of the Tiger Woods era as well. Did I mention he caddied for President Harding?

In an age when sports writers spend more time getting ready to be witty for ESPN shows, this book offers a wonderful insight into an era when sports writers worked a beat and REPORTED as well as offered commentary (and were actually writers). And Povich did both in a simple, straightforward style that was easy to digest with the morning coffee.

His opinions were straighforward too and he tackled tough issues like racisim in sports, long before other sribes in the press box dared take a side on a controversial subject.

The book is well edited with some nice historical context given to many of the works. Can't wait for Vol. 2, after all he wrote about 20,000 columns during his 74 year career at the post

5.0 out of 5 stars Another place, another time., June 5, 2012
I had never heard of Shirley Povich until catching part of a recent documentary about him which aired on ESPN, even though I lived on the East Coast throughout the 1980's and occasionally read the Washington Post. This spured me to find articles written by him, hence I discovered this book - a compilation of his best articles written over a 72 year career at the Post. What a blessed life he lived, seemingly preordained, as his career magically fell into place immediately after graduating from high school in Bar Harbor, Maine. Povich had caddied for the owner of the Post on summer retreats North, and was offered a job with that paper upon graduation. Thrown in was a free college education in law school on the owner's dollar. Soon flourishing at the Post, law school was abandoned after a year or so. By the age of only 21 Povich had ascended to Sports Editor at the Post, and by 24 had his own column. His work is elegant, informative, structured, and utilizing of syntax from his law school tutelage. No one writes like Povich these days. Why? Well, firstly, style like this is simply not taught anymore - at least not to sports writers. And his word structure can be complex at times, disallowing a breezy, quick read - at least for me, but perhaps that's my shortcoming. Yet, the stories are oh so informative: The Babe DID NOT call the rumored point-and-hit home run shot of legend. Read to see what really happened. And oddly, the story I (an animal lover with distain for horse racing) enjoyed the most was one comparing Man O' War with Secretariat. I was so moved and inspired upon completion, that had there been a racetrack in my vicinity, I believe I would have abandoned my principles, walked to the betting window and laid down a few dollars. Upon completion of this book however, I reflect more on Povich's gifted life than the stories he wrote. Yet that gift is reflected in his writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars "All those mornings at the Post...", July 1, 2009
Carrie Mccall (Lynchburg, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This is a great book. We've purchased two as gifts because it is interesting, well written and enjoyed by any sports fan who knows some sports history.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Review From the Twenties into the Nineties, November 11, 2005
Bill Emblom "Bill Emblom" (Ishpeming, Michigan USA) - See all my reviews
Shirley Povich, the late sportswriter of The Washington Post, has provided us with a review of eight decades of some of his best articles. If you enjoy sports history, you will enjoy the anecdotes he has to tell you regarding the heavyweights of the sports world over eight decades of writing. Other writers are equally authoratative, but Povich was on the scene for a much longer period of time. He would often agonize over how to open with a column, but on October 8, 1956, he came up with a gem that read "The million-to-one shot came in. Hell froze over. A month of Sundays hit the calendar. Don Larsen today pitched a no-hit, no-run, no-man-reach-first game in a World Series." Mr. Povich was at Yankee Stadium during Gehrig's Farewell Address on July 4, 1939, and was in Baltimore when Cal Ripken broke Gehrig's record. I did find some annoying errors by the editors of the book. Page 131 lists the date of Larsen's perfecto as October 9, 1956. Page 220 has a bold-faced headline entitled "Facing Kofax" which has Sandy's name misspelled. Page 350 has Gehrig's consecutive game streak listed at 2,132. Also, Mr. Povich has an error on Page 366 when he lists Bobo Hollomon as a member of the Cardinals rather than the Browns when he tossed is no-hitter in his first major league start. I don't mean to pick on the errors, they are there, but the book rates five stars and is authored by a man who is honored in the writers' wing in the Baseball Hall of Fame. If you enjoy baseball history this book belongs on your shelf.