Any Wii motion control fans unenthusiastic about the GamePad?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 27, 2012 11:21:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 11:25:28 PM PST
jvdi says:
I remember read the Wii reviews in Nov/Dec 2007. I hadn't played vidoegames since 1992. It sound exciting. Tennis, golf, bowling, baseball, boxing.

I got it and was hooked bigtime. I got no less than 6 of my friends to get it.

Now? To me this is a step backward. I already have an iPad. They sold a zillion Wiis to non-gamers for the motion control factor. Now they are going to a tablet?

I can't imagine going from playing motion controls to going back to 2005 style videogames. I can't imagine getting non gamers overly interested in this. Example...when the Wii came out and you had it going on at a party everybody (even non-gamer girls) wanted to play. This new one is just a videogame. I mean the tablet is cool I guess but I can't imagine a bunch of non-gamers (older people and girls) demanding to try it out.

I have read articles that said college guys used the line "Want to go back to my place and play with my Wii" and it actually worked.

I cannot imagine girls being all that interested in going back to play on the Gamepad while the dude is using the Wiimote tilted sideways or whatever.

It just doesn't have the WOW factor and the party fun of having 4 people canoing or playing tennis.

To be blunt, I would rather play my old Wii games than go back to 2005 style.

And a 3 hour max battery life? Oh man, they have to be kidding. Back in my heyday, I could play 9 hours straight. Or more.

I don't have the system, just telling you how probably a lot of people see the situation.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 5:00:32 AM PST
Mine lasted more than 3 hours, i think up to 5, which is more than I usually have time to dedicate to a Mario game.

I think it has plenty of WoW factor. I'm more excited about the game pad than I am the wii mote, but if it makes you feel better, the wii motes are used on the Wii U as well.

"It just doesn't have the WOW factor and the party fun of having 4 people canoing or playing tennis."

I don't even have space in my living room for 2 people to use motion controls, let alone 4. I'm done with motion controls, the last thing I want to do when getting home from a long work day is move around a lot.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 5:27:17 AM PST
Party fun is where the Wii U (and especially Nintendoland) excels. The single player games are okay, but when you're chasing down your friends as they try to gather fruit and evade you is where things really get fun. To some extent the same is true of the new Super Mario Brothers game. One of the players can use the gamepad to make the game easier (or harder) for the other players.

As to the charge on the gamepad, when the charge dies (I haven't run my dry on single session yet) then you can simply plug in the adapter and keep playing while its recharging. The cord is very lightweight and little to no hindrance.

A lot of people seem to be looking for reasons not to get a Wii U and that's fine, but all they're doing is costing themselves the chance to play a fun new console (the first in six years) while complaining about relatively minor issues. I've seen people say they won't buy a Wii U until Nintendo tells them what the full technical specs are, until they stop selling games for $60, until they can use two gamepads at once, until Nintendo apologizes for some perceived slight, etc. It's kind of silly to me. If you don't want to buy a Wii U, then don't buy one, but it is a fun new game console with some fun games and all people are doing is depriving themselves of fun. It's great for those of us who want a Wii U that they're eliminating themselves from the competition to get one, but I strongly suspect that a few months from now a lot of those talking themselves out of buying a Wii U now will be kicking themselves for not getting one sooner.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:36:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 6:37:24 AM PST
You actually don't need the Gamepad to play the system, just select games like Nintendo Land and the Wii U eShop. Even though the Gamepad starts up with the system, you can navigate Miiverse and a lot in the main menu without it. I know because I did that after I ignored the blinking red light and my Gamepad powered down in Miiverse.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 9:09:44 AM PST
jvdi says:
The bottom line for me (and I suspect for many people who bot the Wii) is that the Gamepad controllers are more like old school controllers. I had no desire to ever play the PS3 or XBox 360 in 2006-2010 because of the lack of motion controls. When I would play those systems then, it felt archaic and lame.

The gamepad seems like an old school control. Of the many Wii owners I have talked to I have not met a singe person who was like "Oh wow cool" when I told them about the new Wii.

I predict Xony and MSFT is going to expand the motion control concept even further and beat Nintendo with their new systems. It is odd that Nintendo invented the Wii, blew away Sony and MSFT and they came scrabbling with motion controls years later to catch up and then for some unexplainable reason, Nintendo now wants to appeal to the hardcore gamer crowd.

Dumb, dumb, dumb. The games may be good (videogames are fun), but I would bet anybody on this board a lot of money that the the Wii U will never surpass the Wii in sales.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 9:23:54 AM PST
Homer McDuff says:
What is old school about the Gamepad? It's motion sensitive, too. It combines the features of a tablet with a controller in a way that I don't think has been done before. It plays all the wii games, and uses the wii remotes as well. The Gamepad allows someone to play while other people watch something else on tv (great conflict reducer); concealing information from some players in multiplayer games; multiplayer without splitscreen; inputting controls with touch; changing up gameplay; and other new possibilities.

I don't think the Wii U will surpass the Wii in sales either, mainly due to the higher starting price and the fact that Nintendoland has less broad appeal than Wii Sports. However, I think the people who give Wii U a fair shot will love it.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 5:00:27 PM PST
I wouldn't rule out the Wii U outselling the Wii. The integrated video chat may be a big selling point for grandparents to be able to keep in touch with the kids and grandkids. The Wii U is a better console than the Wii and the selling price isn't horrible. (The original Wii sold for $249 at launch, just $50 more than the Wii U.) I'm finding that the more people see and use a Wii U, the more they want one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 11:07:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2012 4:27:21 PM PST
WolfPup says:
I have ZERO interest in gimmicky "motion controls". They don't add anything to real games.

The screen is a gimmick too, and not worth the expense-this should come with a normal controller and next gen components instead of current gen components and the controller, BUT at least having a second screen at worst doesn't detract from the experience, may occasionally be useful, and the ability some games have of using the controller as a screen is pretty cool. It's lower resolution, but still pretty high resolution.

EDIT: Also, that's really sexist. The game market is roughly 50/50 with men and woman.

I have no idea if it appeals to people who don't play games, but who cares? They're probably not on board for another system anyway, and it's like tailoring films for people who don't like movies, what's the point?

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 4:14:58 PM PST
V. Fernandes says:
There were wii motion fans? wow, finally I read something that I didnt knew. I tought the reason that everyone left the console to gather dust was the motion controls. I'm loving the wii U normal controls, and no, its not a tablet, it just has a screen on the controller, as the Dreamcast had as well.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 10:02:57 AM PST
I agree with Fernandez; other than the Wii Sports and maybe Zelda (cause you had to use them); I never thought of the motion controllers as being THE 'selling' point on the Wii. To me, just having the ability to play FULL video games and not tying up the TV is HUGE. This is something that the PS3 has really miss the opportunity as they have the remote ability but they don't let you play PS3 games on the PSP or PS Vita; just because they won't let you, not because it is technically not possible.

As I'm playing with some of the other features like Wii Chat, Mii Universe, WiiTV the more I am liking the console.
Since when are Tablets no longer cool? Leapfrog has sold thousands of LeapPads on that concept.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 4:19:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 4:20:17 PM PST
V. Fernandes says:
Wolfsatz, the ps3 is not prepared to stream huge data to the portables. It was not built to do that. People often dont reallize how amazing it is that the wii U streams a full game (video and audio) to a wireless device with no lag at all, while sending the image also to the TV. I tell you, I have a very modern laptop that struggles to stream bluray movies to the WDTV and that laptop cost me about 1200dollares.
Plus, the games have to have the features as well, they cant just stream an image to PS Vita, you'd need to program all the ps3 games to allow the Vita features. Bear in mind the PS3 already has hundreds of games. Even with game updates it would be really a hard thing to achieve.

Now, I believe that the next PS will come prepared for such things and the games will require the Vita connectivity. Then again, the Vita is struggling to sell, so there would be no point. The Vita is selling as bad as the Saturn/Dreamcast and as bad or worse than the Gamegear.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 8:15:49 AM PST
I'm done with motion controls, the last thing I want to do when getting home from a long work day is move around a lot.

verry good one fox

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 1:59:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2012 2:00:21 PM PST
jvdi says:
Yet the holiday results are in and the Wii U is a fairly decent sized bust.

In a poll, most kids wanted an iPad over a Wii U by wide margins.

While there are a few non-motion control fans in here, the facts of the matter is the Wii was a monster hit until XBox came up with motion controls on steroids. At the exact time Kinetic came out, the XBox overtook the Wii and has won for 20 straight months after the Wii dominating when it had the monopoly.

The new Xbox and PS will have awesome motion controls. They will crush the Wii U.

The bottom line is people don't want tablet controls. They already have that with the Ipad. If people are going to spend hundreds on a consul, they want something they can't get on a tablet. And that is hard core motion controls.

I predict the next gen Sony and MSFT will crush the Wii U. Sorry folks. I am a Nintendo fan bigtime and have had multiple generations of Nintendo products. But the Wii U is blah.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 2:06:52 PM PST
jvdi says:
I don't know anybody who wants to look back and forth from their controler to the TV.

I don't know anybody who wants to play a game with anybody using a different control. People want to play on a level playing field.

The 6 year old XBox has outsold the Wii U for the holidays despite the Wii U having superior specs. Why?

It is because the Xbox has the WOW factor the Wii did in 2006-2010. The Wow factor is motion controls sans controler.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 2:24:21 PM PST
Jvdi. Are you aware that Microsoft and Sony with their Smartglass and Vita are doing exactly the same type of dual screen display that Nintendo has with their Gamepad? In fact Microsoft is rumored to be coming out with a gaming Surface tablet that will have controls and buttons very similar to those on the Nintendo Gamepad. While you may not want to use dual displays, it looks like you won't have much of a choice if you want a next-gen console. All three console manufacturers are following the same general path. Nintendo's just the first out of the gate.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 2:52:51 PM PST
jvdi says:
No, I was not aware of that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 3:56:46 PM PST
They will crush Nintendo? When? In the next Milleneum? Lol
When are they due next?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 4:57:50 PM PST
jvdi says:
The XBox 360 has been the best selling console for the past 20 months.

It blew away the brand new Wii U over the Christmas season.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 4:12:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2012 4:12:33 AM PST
V. Fernandes says:
To everyone, it seems people here dont have much information on gaming. Lets start.

The Wii U is having one of the biggest console launches ever, selling about 80% of the Wii for the same time period of launch. It's selling more than ps3, xbox 360 and pretty much any other home console, trailing the original wii.

The reason that xbox/ps3 still sell more, is the same reason that ps2 still sold more than xbox 360 when it launched. A big library of games, cheap second hand market, a huge community online, a much cheaper console. Almost no new console can outsell the previous at launch. Fact.

Now, I have a Wii U, have played a lot for 1 month and have to say, while it is a lot of fun it will fail in the near future. It might sell at the beginning on curiosity and on the Wii brand name.

The only reason it will fail is the gamepad, it was fun, but after the initial fun runs out, you'll notice a very very bad battery life, a controller that is a bit too heavy for long sessions on call of duty, the joysticks are on top of the face buttons, most people got used to the other way around for many many years. I am having a huge trouble to control FPS with it, it just doesnt feel natural, the triggers are too close to the joysticks, the triggers are digital instead of analog, the rumble is barely there, the screen has very low resolution, games look pixelated on it, and the screen is resistive instead of capacitive. The worst of all, it gets dirty real quick, it attracts dust and stuff than no other device in the house attracts, not even my glossy TV.

On top of that, it sometimes feels disorienting looking away from the action to check the gamepad, most people will not like it.
As for the casuals, they ran to the wii because of motion based controls, they have no much interested in the Wii U.

I suppose most initial sales are from nintendo fans (like me) and curious people.

When the next ps and xbox comes in a year or 2, sales of wii U will drop fast and sell only for the exclusives or for people who cant afford a new console.

My prediction of lifetime sales for Wii U - 40 million worldwide (if and only if they drop the price as they did on the 3ds)

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 6:32:09 AM PST
jvdi says:
I think the above poster made a lot of valid points. However, the Wii outsold all consuls when it came out. The Wii U did not.

My thesis is simple. It is all about motion controls. When the Wii came out it had a monopoly on MC. It was the biggest selling console from 2006-2010. Then the other 2 came out with MC. When the XBox came out with MC, it immediately became the biggest selling toy in hisotry (for the 1st month). Since the XBox had better specs and upped the MC game by having no controls, it became the best MC consule.

Here is my thesis sentence. SINCE NOV 2006 THE BEST SELLING CONSOLE EVERY MONTH HAS BEEN THE CONSOLE THAT HAS HAD THE BEST MOTION CONTROLS.

Despite this very obvious fact, for some bizarre reasons the Wii, always stung by a dismissive attitude towards the hardcore crowd, decided to go away from MC. They did this despite the fact that clearly MC sells like crazy and there is no evidence that people want to go away from MC. Some of the people in here claimed that people got sick of MC and ran to the XBox. Nope. The Wii dominated up until the day Kinetic came out and then Kinetic took over.

This decision by Nintendo is mind boggling in its idiocity. I am a big Nin fan and have owned consoles since the original NES in the late 1980s. But I go into the store and I see the Wii U and I see Kinetic...the Kinectic seems very cool. The Wii U? Blah.

What in the world are they thinking going away from MC when it is extremely obvious that people flock to the best MC unit? I would have the highest tech MC most accurate console possible. And yes, people want no controlers.

I predict the XBox 720 will blow away the Wii U despite Nintendo's huge time lead.

I am a Nintendo fanboy, but sometimes you just have to deal with reality.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 12:16:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2012 12:20:58 PM PST
V. Fernandes says:
Hello I get your point. But honestly. Motion was a fad for everyone but the casuals. Now. I'll tell you who sells more consoles. The one that gets cheaper and more games. The wii only sold initially to the casuals, most gamers never touched the console at all. I had my ps3 break 2 months before getting the wii u. I almost bought an Xbox. Because just like everyone else thinks. It is cheaper than ps3 and it has a huge library of second hand cheap games. I could get gears 2 for 5 dollars. Yet. I prefered to pay double for a new console. And triple for the games because I can. And no matter who comes with better motion controls next. If it is expensive and lacks games then it won't sell. Unless its something really out of this world. Trust me on this one. From the next xbox/ps, wichever is cheaper will win the console wars. And everyone will. E surprised that still the Xbox will sell much more than the nextBox for the first year.

I can tell you that maybe 80% of who buys the Xbox don't care for kinect. Only price. In fact the top selling games are the usual call of duty, halo, gears and so on.

From all the people I know, most have a console or 2 and nobody bought a kinect. Some of my friends only ever bought FIFA and call of duty. Nothing else.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Nov 27, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Nintendo Wii U Console - 32GB Black Deluxe Set
Nintendo Wii U Console - 32GB Black Deluxe Set by Nintendo (Nintendo Wii U)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (743)