Can I mount a Canon 580 ex II speedlight to it, or what do I need to do it?
[UPDATED] asked by James Bartelt on January 21, 2013
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 answers
A
The 580 ex II speedlight most likely comes with a stand. The stand should have a 1/4" thread on the bottom, which you should be able to screw onto the Manfrotto 1/4" adapter (provided with the product - see uploaded photos). So yes you can. But the usual way is to buy an umbrella mount such as Manfrotto 026 and also a shoe mount for your flash. A nice and reasonably priced one is "Impact Umbrella Bracket with Adjustable Shoe" which can be found at B&H web site (B&H part num # IMUB).
Klaus answered on January 21, 2013
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
This is from my post. The answer is yes. Heres my set up. Just eliminate the RadioPopper cube from my list and your good to go.
Professional Mini Ball Head Camera Mount

This review is from: Professional Mini Ball Head Camera Mount (Electronics)
I was a little hesitant when I ordered this because it wasn't the heavy duty version. It works perfect for my application. It screws on a Manfrotto 5001B 74-Inch Nano Stand Replaces Manfrotto 001B (Black) and has the mini ball head on it then a ePhoto SB800 Shoe mount Flash Adapter with 1/4-20 Thread with a RadioPopper RPCube Canon Version then a Canon Speedlite 580EX II Flash for Canon EOS Digital SLR Cameras. I prefer using the ball head over the flash heads own tilt and rotate features. They are impossible to point down and with this ball head they make it quick and easy to adjust and the coldshoe unmounts quickly so I can place the unit on a floor flash stand. PS, I took the platform nut off the ball head because it doesn't leave much thread. Now it's simple, locks and stays secure at any angle with my flash and fong diffuser mounted to it. I removed the 3/8" to 1/4" reducer from the light stand and the 3/8" to 1/4" bushing from the mini ball head for a tighter fit and a 1/2" reduction in height.
So here is the order starting from the bottom to the top. Manfrotto light stand>Giotto ball head>ePhoto cold shoe>RadioPopper Cube>Canon 580EX II.
Max Aperture answered on January 25, 2013
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
You will need an adapter of some sort. The "Manfrotto 026 Swivel Lite-Tite Umbrella Adapter" is a good choice that will serve you for many years and provide lots of mounting options. Most umbrellas and soft boxes will provide some sort of adapter, check the specifications carefully. In short: The Manfrotto 5001B is a fine quality stand (I've abused mine for about 2 years now) but you will need an additional adapter of some sort to mount your flash to it.
Matthew F. Cummings answered on January 21, 2013
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The plastic foot that comes with the 580 should thread on to the stand but I wouldn't recommend it because it wouldn't be durable for repeated use. I'd get this Stroboframe Bracket Shoe Mount its a Stroboframe shoe adapter. Its metal and threads into the stand (1/4"-20) then has a mount similar to the hot shoe on your camera to mount the flash at a minimum. I'd suggest you spend a little more and getting this Manfrotto 026 Swivel Lite-Tite Umbrella Adapter a Manfrotto umbrella adapter to mount to the stand then the Stroboframe to mount on top of the Manfrotto. This way you can easily angle and swivel the flash and it also gives you the option to mount a shoot through umbrella like this Westcott 2011 43-Inch Optical White Satin Collapsible with Removable Black Cover Umbrella (Black) from Westcott.
Patrick Landy answered on January 21, 2013

A
You would need hot shoe bracket (http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-Flashlight-Umbrella-Holder-Bracket/dp/B0034WR19Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1358820767&sr=8-4&keywords=light+stand)... I hope this helps.
robert w futrell answered on January 21, 2013
‹ Previous   1   Next ›