Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Size: 6000mAh|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

VINE VOICEon June 12, 2013
Size: 6000mAh|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Pros:
Three outputs (Apple lightning, micro USB,USB-A)
Lightning and USB-A port are 2.1 A
Integrated Apple Lightning and micro USB ports (male)
Integrated, fold-out wall prongs for charging in an AC outlet
Can charge up to three devices at a time
All-in-one convenience; no need to pack power cords or synch cables for selected devices

Cons:
Only 6000 mAh
Integrated Apple Lightning and micro USB ports are not designed so that it is easy to use your device while charging

The myCharge Hub 6000 mAh Power Bank, is a well made external power supply that can be used to power up or charge your smart phone, iPhone, iPod, iPad, or other accessories. It has the usual standard USB-A port, but also has integrated Apple lightning and micro USB out ports so you can charge your devices on the go without having to remember to bring your synch cable.

The device itself is 4.5 x 1.4 x.7.4 inches and weighs 9.3 ounces--about the size of an iPhone 4 but twice as thick. It's casing is made of plastic but is highlighted with attractive, brushed aluminum panels and easy to grip rubberized areas.

The rubber cover on the bottom opens on one side to reveal fold-out prongs that connect to a standard, USA wall outlet. The other side reveals a USB-A port. The two L-shaped rubberized fingers atop the device can be pulled back to reveal an Apple Lightning connector and a mirco USB out connector.

Charging the device is as simple as plugging it into an outlet. You simply pull back the rubber cover and fold out the AC prongs. (A bit of a gripe--they might want to make a little lip of a handle at the base of the AC prongs wider to make them easier to flip the plug position on future devices.) I really like the integrated plug however--there is no need to remember to bring an extra power cord. The battery indicator atop the device tells you when it is completely charged--generally speaking this takes about 4 hours if the battery is fully drained.

I like the fact that the USB-A out is 2.1 A--this means that you can charge certain devices more quickly and that this can fire up/more quickly charge even some of the more demanding tablet computers.

The integrated Apple Lightning and mini USB ports are a nice touch too, as you don't have to remember to bring a synch cable with you to charge your device. The fact that the Lightning connector also runs at 2.1 A means that you have enough juice to charge or run an iPad.

The problem with the rubberized, L-shaped Lightning and mini USB connectors, however, is that they are not long enough to really allow you to use a device easily when it is connected to the myCharge. The device ends up being too close to the battery and a little difficult to use. If the myCharge connectors were longer, this would not be the case. This is not insurmountable--you can use your USB cable and connect to the USB port to give you more berth, but it would have been nice if the integrated connectors were a little longer.

6000 mAh will give you a fair amount of power and the myCharge also seems to hold its charge well.

That said, I have a 10,000 mAh Anker external battery ]] that is not much bigger or heavier than the myCharge (and the latest version of this device is 14,000 mAh). The Anker definitely supplies more power for less of a price; on the other hand, the Anker doesn't have integrated connectors and you have to bring a separate power cord to charge the battery.

My preference for these kind of things, though, is that everything else being equal (including portability), you should try for the maximum power storage you can afford. If you want the myCharge and you can afford it, it looks as though they have a 9000 mAH version of this device on their website, which should be coming to Amazon really soon.

Still, the myCharge is generally a well thought out self-contained power device that will definitely give you power on the go. It is a convenient, all-in-one, stow-and-go option. The major convenience is that you don't have to look for connectors or bother to pack cords; just throw it in the suitcase or your car's glove compartment and you're ready to go. If you have a current generation iPad, the integrated Lightning connector is an added bonus.

Recommended
44 comments|52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon May 24, 2013
This is a portable battery/ charger that will recharge your electronics whether you are near an outlet or sitting on a bus somewhere.

The packaging said it came pre-charged, so I wasted no time putting it to the test. This Power Bank has a built in lightning connector for your newer model iPhones, iPods, and iPads, along with a USB port and a built in micro USB. I used all of them, charging an iPod, a Kindle, and a PDA simultaneously. In a short time, they were all loaded up. Then I just unplugged them to use, and plugged the Power Bank itself into the wall with its built-in but recessed plug.

It advertises that it will give your smartphone an extra 27 hours of talk time, and while I can't vouch for that, I will say that it certainly was a convenient, effortless way to recharge all my electronics.

The Power Bank is also pretty light, and could be thrown in a backpack or purse without adding significant weight.

If you are always in situations where you are about to run out of charge on your electronics, this is a MUST BUY.
on May 31, 2015
I was looking for a travel sized USB battery pack that had built-in Micro-USB and Lightning (iPhone) charging cables. Here's a quick comparison between the myCharge Hub 6000 and other popular alternatives available on Amazon.

{Note: I did not test battery capacity claims, power efficiency, or charge speeds as there are plenty of other reviews which have.}

#myCharge Hub 6000

This battery pack was the thickest out of the battery packs I looked at, but it's length and width measurements were reasonable. To give you an idea of how large: it's roughly the length and width of an iPhone 4. The edges are sloped like the Skiva PowerVault A5000, which makes it feel smaller than it actually is.

Unlike most battery packs, the myCharge Hub 6000 has built-in wall prongs for direct wall outlet charging. This is a big advantage as you don't need any extra hardware to charge the battery pack.

The built-in cables are extremely thick and beefy; they feel high quality and substantial. The plugs themselves are rather thick, but because of the way the plugs are rounded they managed to fit most of my devices that had cases on them. In addition to the built-in charging cables, the device also includes an extra USB output for charging an additional device. This extra USB port is hidden under a rubber flap, protecting it from dust and moisture.

Built quality is good. Shiny hard plastic. The myCharge Hub 6000 is rated at 6000mAh, which seems low for a device this size and weight.

#Skiva PowerVault A5000

Easily the most portable of the battery packs I looked at. The Skiva PowerVault A5000 is the smallest in volume as well as length and width, but is slightly thicker than the Tylt ENERGI 5K+.

It has a micro-USB input for charging, but unlike the other battery packs I looked at does not include a USB output. The built-in cables feel a bit thin and unsubstantial. The plugs themselves are rather thick and squared off in a way that makes them incompatible with many cases. The micro-USB plug is fine (size-wise), but the Lightning plug is significantly larger and did not fit the majority of my devices that had cases on them.

Built quality is adequate. Glossy hard plastic. The Skiva PowerVault A5000 is rated at 5000mAh, which seems reasonable for a device this size.

#Tylt ENERGI 5K+

While this battery pack was one of the thinnest I looked at, it was also one of the biggest length and width-wise. To give you an idea of how large: the Tylt ENERGI 5K+ is roughly the width and slightly taller than an iPhone 6.

It has a micro-USB input for charging, and an extra USB output for charging an additional device. Both ports are exposed and do not have rubber coverings. The built-in cables are thin, but feel substantial enough. The plugs themselves are rather thick; they did not fit the majority of my devices that had cases on them.

Build quality is below average. Matte hard plastic and very hallow feeling. The cables have little flex. The Tylt ENERGI 5K+ is rated at 5200mAh, which is seems low for a device this size.

#EasyAcc iChoc 5000

This device did not meet my prerequisites (It only has one built-in charging cable: your choice of either Lightning or micro-USB, but not both), but I decided to try it anyway. I looked at the Lightning model.

The EasyAcc iChoc 5000 is slightly smaller than the Tylt ENERGI 5K+ and significantly thinner. It is essentially the size of an iPhone 5 in height and depth, though slightly wider.

The device has a micro-USB input for charging and an additional USB output for charging another device. The built-in cable is thin but feels robust enough. The plug seems like a good size at first glance but unfortunately has a plastic tab on the edge that makes it incompatible with most cases. The plug did not fit the majority of my devices that had cases on them.

Furthermore, because of the way the plug is recessed when it is stored, it is very difficult to remove the cable from it's hidey-hole (every other battery pack I looked at stores the cable along a corner, making it much easier to remove).

Built quality is good. Matte hard plastic. The EasyAcc iChoc 5000 is rated at 5000mAh, which seems reasonable for a device this size.

#RAVPower Savior 9000

This device also did not meet my prerequisites (It only has one built-in charging cable: your choice of either Lightning or micro-USB, but not both), but I decided to try it anyway. I looked at the Lightning model.

The RAVPower Savior 9000 was the one of the thicker battery packs I looked, but it's length and width measurements are reasonable.

Like the myCharge Hub 6000 and 9000, this device has built-in wall prongs for direct wall outlet charging. This is a big advantage as you don't need any extra hardware to charge the battery.

The built-in charging cable is not as thick as the ones in the myCharge Hub, but it feels just as substantial and seems like a durable cable. The plug itself seems thick, but because of the way the plug is rounded it managed to fit most of my devices that had cases on them. Case-less devices are fine, of course. In addition to the built-in Lightning cable, the device includes an additional USB output for charging an another device. This extra USB port is hidden under a rubber flap, protecting it from dust and moisture.

The build quality of the RAVPower Savior 9000 is the best out of the chargers I looked at. It is extremely nice. The battery pack is hard plastic coated with a grippy scratch-resistant matte finish. The battery is rated at 9000mAh, which is good considering the size (it is roughly the same size as the myCharge Hub 6000, but has 1/3 more power capacity)
review image review image review image
I have several different Mophie battery packs that I have a couple of years experience with, but this pack which I've had for about 9 months is probably my favorite. Based on my experience it charges much faster than the Mophie packs, and by that I mean at least twice as fast. I don't understand why that is since they're in the same price range and the Mophies I have are also 6000s and 4000s. This could be due to differences in the internal charging circuitry, as I've noticed that this pack gets slightly warm during charging, which the Mophies don't. But this is just an educated guess but it's based on what I know about NiMH vs. other batteries like alkalines or lithium ion.

For example, Lithium ions can be charged at much higher rates than NiMH, whereas with NiMH you're better off charging at half or less of rated battery capacity. In other words, if it's a 2000 mAh battery (like some AA batteries) you should charge at 1000 mAh or less. Lead acid batteries also like fractional charge rates which is why "trickle chargers" are so common for them.

Anyway, regardless of the reason this charger works well and another advantage is it eliminates the long cords that always seem to get tangled up. I find it's convenient to just plug into the wall. It also has a version of the "smart battery" standard in that there is an LED that flashes red, amber, or green depending on the SoC or state of charge. The Mophies offer a slightly more detailed readout in that there are four LEDs to indicate percentage of charge. I also recently discovered the Mophie can detect a defective charging cable: all four LEDs will flash on and off, which is pretty cool. Whichever battery you choose either one should serve you well.
on June 19, 2013
For my purposes this product is perfect, exactly as advertised. The 2 builtin connectors are exactly what I use. I like that I don't have to bring lightning and usb cables and a power supply, just this one thing provides juice for everything I have. It's not tiny, I'd guess it's about 2.5 times the volume of an iphone. But I use it for travel, I don't carry it in my pocket. Very happy with this purchase.
on June 12, 2015
I bought this for the (excellent) physical design and was very happy for about 3 weeks before it stopped taking a charge. Sadly, this happened right before the first real trip I was going to take with it, so it was kind of doubly disappointing.
on March 4, 2016
Oh MyCharge, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways. Hands down the best electronic purchase I've ever made. I bought it for a long trip to the UK so I'd have charging power on the go and it ended up being a lifesaver when I forgot my camera at home and had to shoot all my tourism photos with my iPhone (which dies after taking six or so). I just left the MyCharge in my backpack with my phone (plugged into the auxiliary port with its charging cable) in my jacket pocket basically the whole trip. I LOVE that it plugs into a wall outlet rather than charging only by USB, that was the essential factor in my decision to purchase this brand. I also hear the warranty and customer service are great but thankfully I still haven't needed them nine months on. I save people's day with this thing ALL THE TIME. It charges rapidly and can give a few hours of juice to the phone of a friend at the bar in the time it takes to have a beer. This will be an essential device for me henceforth. PS: The built in micro USB and Apple quick chargers are very flexible but durable. I recall wondering from the photos if they were hard. You can bend them however you need to charge multiple devices at once.
on December 6, 2014
I bought one of these at the airport where I paid way too much, but I was desperate because my iPhone 4s battery life sucked at that point. I bought it because my wife already had an iPhone 5 and I figured she could use it too. It was pretty good for 2 months, decent for another 2 months and after 6 months it basically didn't work anymore. Frankly, it was slow to charge the phone too. I rarely give one star reviews, but this should have lasted me 2-3 years, and 6 months for $100 just isn't good enough. It's the kind of device that needs to work. When it doesn't, it's just more baggage (or garbage).
on March 7, 2016
The lightning cable included in the charger stopped working in less than two months of gentle use. The outer casing picks up scratches extremely easy. Other than that it holds a charge well and I use the usb port to charge my phone now instead.
on November 21, 2014
At the current (Oct 2015) prices, this is a decent option if you need something that (I) has built in Lightning and micro-USB cables; and (ii) can be charged directly from the wall. But portable battery prices have dropped so much that you are really buying convenience, trading off for size. That's the biggest issue with this battery - it's too large to conveniently carry around in a coat pocket. MyCharge has updated this model to a much more compact unit that isn't that much larger than the old Hub 3000.