Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Cecile McLorin Salvant $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

on October 27, 2009
I'll try to be brief, as to not simply reiterate too much of the other reviewers.

1) These nVidia glasses work very well, and the glasses have wider field of view than the eDimensions 3D glasses (which I bought 2 years ago). The 3D effect is fully adjustable in the two key dimensions: separation (amount of 3D effect) and convergence (how far away the objects appear). Having a 60 Hz refresh rate for each eye is critical; my eDimension glasses with an older 60 Hz LCD monitor could only give 30 Hz per eye and lots of flicker. I haven't tried the eDimension with the new 120 Hz monitor.

2) My computer set up is not excessive, but not wimpy either: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz; nVidia 8800GTS; 2 Gb DDR2-800 RAM; ViewSonic VX2265wm 120Hz LCD monitor; Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit. This is about the bare minimum set up for good 3D.

3) Make sure you uninstall your current GeForce drivers before loading the new GeForce + 3D Vision drivers (collectively downloadable as the "Full Driver CD" from nVidia's website). I had mismatched drivers at first (from Windows 7), and got excessive ghosting and got the right-eye signal going to the left eye. Reinstalling with fresh drivers from nVidia solved the problem. Now I have no ghosting, no flicker, great 3D effect.

4) I've only tested one game so far, World of Warcraft, which looks beautiful. There's a setting in WoW to allow the cursor to adjust its depth to match the interacting object - nice! Takes 15-30 minutes to get used to, but then it's fantastic. Setting the convergence (or "screen depth") to a low value makes the objects appear far away and is easier on the eyes.

5) Caveats: (a) you need Windows Vista or 7; XP will not work. (b) There are only two LCD monitors at the moment that offer true 120 Hz refresh rates: ViewSonic VX2265wm FuHzion 3D/120Hz LCD Display (Black) and Samsung Syncmaster 2233RZ 22" 3D Gaming LCD Monito; many LCD TVs claim 120 Hz, but this is upscaled, and none currently take 120 Hz input; some DLP TVs will work - check nVidia's website.
on September 29, 2009
I have used the 3D vision kit for about 2 months now and have found it be a great enhancement to my PC gaming. I find myself buying the PC version of multi-platform games now just so I can experience them in 3D. Consider that my 3D vision kit is on a 22 LCD monitor, while my console gaming is done on a 10' wide projection screen system. Yes, 3D is that impressive. The cost of entry is not cheap, but if you can afford it, then I think that is well worth the cost. The one caveat though is that the 3D game mode will cut your framerate by about 40%, so you will want to have a fairly strong computer to play some games at full quality.
on April 23, 2010
The 3D Vision kit arrived last week and I was really excited after reading so much about it. It arrived the same day as the Samsung SyncMaster 2233rz so it was all ready to go. Just in case you don't know yet, you will need a 3D enabled monitor and an Nvidia card that supports 3D. Make sure you read up on everything including system requirements if you are entertaining the idea of getting this. It has been a little over a week of using the 3D Vision. I've tried out different things with it to soak in all the 3D goodness that I could and I have to say, this was an excellent purchase!

I won't lie, I disliked the idea of having to wear glasses whenever viewing 3D (it's just that thought process of the old style), but these aren't bad at all. The 3D Vision kit comes with three switchable nose pieces in addition to the glasses and the IR transmitter. The reason for the nose pieces is to help different people obtain a comfortable level when wearing the glasses. We're all different, so it's really cool that Nvidia had the notion to add these. The glasses fit fine and they shouldn't have problems fitting over your prescription glasses (which I have and have had no problem). I can't exactly say the 3D glasses are the most styling things to wear, but they definitely aren't horrible. At first, it may bother you a bit while wearing them only because you aren't used to it. But after awhile, they feel a lot less noticeable and you feel a lot more immersed.

You may think that this kind of setup would require some technical smarts, but Nvidia has made the installation process pretty simple. The kit comes with everything you need. Start off by charging the glasses first - like the manual recommends. A lot of people usually ignore this step because there is some charge in it, but I would recommend charging them first. After that, you can either put in the installation CD, or just download the latest installation CD drivers from the website (recommended). It will tell you everything you need to do and in a few minutes you'll be up and running with your new 3D setup! It really is a breeze as long as you follow the directions. You'll then be treated with a 3D test to make sure everything is working. Once that is done with, you are treated to some lovely in-game 3D screenshots to prepare you for the greatness to come.

So does this really change the game?

I tested a few games with the 3D Vision; Just Cause 2, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Metro 2033, Burnout Paradise and Left 4 Dead. Let me just say that it completely changed the experience. I felt that I was much more involved in these worlds and I wanted to play even more. 3D is something that is really hard to explain unless you see it for yourself. You feel like you're actually looking down roads or hallways, everything suddenly has a solid feel to it and comes to life. It has this feeling of looking into a box where all this action is going on and you're a part of it more than ever before. 3D completely changes the experience. And yes, there can be things that pop far out of the screen as seen in a nice demo test that Nvidia installs with the drivers. But don't expect everything to be popping out of the screen and going wild just yet. I'm sure we'll see a lot more of that as developers from all walks start creating content that is more 3D based. But here is where 3D at home really shines, at least 3D Vision. You have the ability to change the depth which can really make 3D look outstanding. Apparently in the theaters, the depth is set to 15%,, but with the 3D Vision you have the ability to set the depth far higher than that. This option is such a great touch and I'm glad we have that ability. You may want to take it slow though until your eyes adjust. Other than that, the quality of the gaming is great. While the screen will become darker when the glasses are activated, it really doesn't take much away from the experience. You don't lose anything really (like resolution or dullness), you gain an entirely new way to view pictures, watch videos, and play games.

Not everything can be perfect though and this is no different. There can be glitches at times in certain games. I had an issue with major eye glare in Left 4 Dead sometimes and the 3D effect can make your eyes tire out easily until you adjust. Nvidia usually works hard with their drivers, at times they are amazing, and at other times they fall a bit short. From the looks of it, they haven't exactly been spot on lately, but I'm sure they'll get back to it. A few times I noticed a program crashing like the 3D video player and then my IR transmitter throwing a fit. Luckily, this usually just requires a reboot. Due to this being fairly new, there are going to be ups and downs in the software. It happens, but for the most part it works very well. Another gripe is that I wish Nvidia would have more content available to show off the power of the 3D Vision. I know at some point we'll get barraged with 3D content considering the big push for it this year. But with the 3D Vision being out for nearly a year, one would think Nvidia would have really created more of their own demo stuff to show it off. While they do have some cool stuff such as photo albums and video clips, it isn't a huge amount and that's a shame considering how nice their little 3D tests are. But fear not, if you look around enough you'll be able to find some cool 3D content.

If you're like me and were/are up and down with the latest 3D push, let me say that it is something that you simply have to experience for yourself to really understand it. After a week of using it and showing it off to family and friends, everyone really enjoyed it. I could see this as being the next step in our viewing pleasure. Yes, I understand that the technology has been available for a long time, but now it actually looks good. With over 350 PC games that are available to play in 3D, Nvidia's 3D Vision is a great way to dive into it. It's a blast.
on October 15, 2009
With the current offering fom nVidia where you buy a 3D monitor and GTX VidCard and you get these 3D Glasses kit for FREE...HELL YES! I jumped on that band wagon and got the EVGA GTX275 896mb for the FREE 3D Glasses Bundle Deal!!! I'm already runnin' 2x BFG 512mb 9800GT OCX Series in SLi Mode...so I basically got the GTX275 for free in my mind :) - which I will use on next PC build during tax season :) The SLi 9800GT's run the 3D flawless on all my games I have attempted at the 120hz 1680x1050 - Fallout3, World in Conflict, UT3, Monkey Island - Launch Screaming Narwhal, Wolfenstein (2009), NFS Series, Age of Mythology!!!! I run Vista32 on an ASUS A8N32-SLi Deluxe, AMD 4600X2 2.4ghz (OC'd 2.62ghz), 4gb Corsair XMS3200 DDR400 and have no problems playing any of these games!!!

This has made my gaming way more real!!! It's like your lookin out a window into whatever First Person Shooter you are playing and the rockets are flyin right at for REAL!!!! Other games like Age of Mythlogy are like you are in an aircraft lookin down on these people and fireballs are about to hit ya!! The depth perception has actually probly helped me on FPS games...you can see the missiles coming and dodge them easier!!! Just general gameplay on almost everygame is INTENSE!!! Racing Games ARE a simulation now!!!
The darker the game though...the harder to see in general!!! But overall U NEED THIS!!!!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
With S3D breaking out into the market starting sometime in summer 2010 i figured i would bite the bullet and purchase the tech early. not knowing what to expect from the Nvidia 3D Vision kit i purchased it on a whim and hooked it up to my Samsung 3D Ready DLP. The image i got in stunning 1080p was jaw dropping. Playing games such as Resident Evil 5 and Batman Arkham Asylum in 3D blew me away. I even came across some 3D trailers that were pretty sweet. i didnt bother charging the glasses before i fired it up and it lasted quite a while ... they died on me shortly after i got my gaming done. after a full charge they've lasted me to this day w/o needing another recharge, great battery life. Very well built glasses that actually fit over my girlfriends corrective lenses rather nicely. if you have the "spare change" to pick this up and enjoy it with a proper display, i highly recommend the purchase. If you are someone who is waiting to bite on 3D, and just want it to become more mainstream, i would still recommend you purchase this now. More games are coming out 3D Ready and the list will only grow. Bioshock 2 will be in 3D and games like Avatar: The Game already show what this tech is capable of. really, what are you waiting for?
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 28, 2010
These glasses are incredible. Unfortunately the quality of the experience using the glasses are heavily dependent on 1) your computer, 2) your monitor and 3) the specific game you are playing. If you are using a sub-standard system and a monitor not listed on Nvidia's recommended list then it is not going to look as good. Some games work better than others. Some games don't work at all. All this means is that in some situations there might be some tweaking required but nothing anyone with minimal cumputer savvy can't handle. When you fire up most games in 3D a small box appears telling you exactly what to do to fix any issues, ie. Turn Off Bloom Effect In Advanced Video Settings. Easy.

Yes, you will probably need to upgrade your monitor. The options are currently fairly limited but there are a handful coming out very soon and a lot more on the horizon. It can't just be 120hz it needs to be "3D ready". DLP works much better than LCD as there is no "ghosting" on a DLP monitor, although LCD users report that the ghosting is minimal if noticeable at all. Obviously the bigger the better for obvious reasons but even on a 22" this is going to look awesome. You also need to have an Nvidia card as this is Nvidia tech. I know what you are thinking: if I wait a year this will all be a lot cheaper. Understand that that was true a year ago when these glasses first came out. You can now get into this for as low as $400 depending on how you go.

I use a 60' Mitsubishi DLP ($800ish on sale) and a mid-range system. I currently am playing Modern Warfare 2, Avatar, and Dragon's Age and would rate all three as MINDBLOWING in 3D on a large screen. You really need to see it for yourself and not in some crappy demo booth... those always look horrible and are never set up correctly. Any minor complaints about textures in the wrong place, etc. pale in comparison to the overall experience. It is safe to assume that more and more games will fully support this technology, and the ones that don't are still greatly enhanced. There are very few games that are "unplayable" in 3D.

Be advised that right now you can really only play video games with these glasses, there are no movies available that I am aware of, and who knows when this will catch on in that regard. But if you play video games you absolutely need to get on board with this. You won't regret it.
on May 17, 2013
This has been a pain since the start. I bought everything for 3d from the monitor to the graphics card, and it cost a lot. but the price didn't bother me too much, I was just excited to play games in 3d but right off the bat there were issues, many things were complicated but I ended up figuring it out eventually, and was up and running in 3d.
Stereoscopic is amazing, and if it weren't so expensive, complicated and needy I would recommend it to anyone, however for the past 1 to 2 yrs I have had it, it screws around alot for instance if you minimize a game 1/100 times it will reset the refresh rate in the driver software to 120hz for whatever reason, and for whatever reason that causes significant issues, it will say there is no data being sent, so you just see a black screen, the only way to fix this is to plug in a 60hz non 3d capable monitor, find the 120hz in the driver software and set it back to 60.... makes no sense from many angles. Another thing is any little update can throw this thing off, a small OS update breaks mine every time, and to fix it vary's every time. A reinstall of drivers might fix it, running the setup might fix it, or most recently just unplugging and re-plugging in will fix it... its always different and its always annoying as crap. So after all this time of using it im still not completely turned off to it, but yesterday while playing a game, my glasses died entirely, not just the battery. So at this point, I am starting to hate it.

Annoying things to know about Stereoscopic:
1. It distorts all text to the point of just barely legible.... barely
2. Even games rated excellent for their 3d, there is always something that wont display correctly, and it can really affect gameplay and your eyes. Physically hurts honestly.
3. MOST FPS wont work in 3d. The gun sight depth is an issue, although nVidias software does have a reticle that can be activated ingame to help, its just one more thing.
4. It fatigues your eyes. I play mmos for extensive periods of the day with minimal to no breaks and it does fatigue your eyes, even after years of use. (eyes will crack red often)
5. Minimizing a game is a pain in the BUTT, combined with the distorting text issue and it makes minimizing like cutting off your arm with a spoon.
6. Very high maintenance
7. Expensive, especially everything considered.

But if you don't mind all that, stereoscopic is pretty amazing and makes it feel that much more real. Its just... all that... ^

For this product specifically, I bought it used and it was missing several cables and the glasses have stopped working for no reason after just 1 yr of use.

*Just talked to NVidia about the glasses contained in this kit, they concluded it was an internal hardware malfunction with the battery, but wont replace or fix them, so I have to buy new ones... I absolutely at this point do NOT recommend 3d to anyone and very much wish I had never purchased it myself.
on September 5, 2010
It is awesome! I have it working on a 100" screen with a 3D DLP projector and Panasonic 50" 3D Plasma (w/Beta 260 Drivers). The effect is Similar to IMAX - Perfect 3D on a huge screen with no artifacts or ghosting at all on the DLP, Plasma has minimal ghosting. The NVIDIA logo pops out of my 100" screen about 4 feet while watching their 3D test. The game "Just Cause 2" runs good on my GTX470 in 3D at 720P with every option at max. It looks incredible in 3D, so many atmospheric effects. Graphics blow away any console game, The gun fire and explosions are almost life like, best 3D game I have played to date.

Videos recorded on my Fuji W3 REAL 3D camera play back via the included 3D vision player flawlessly and look great.

Any gamer or 3D enthusiast should get this. There are so many options to fit anyones budget. Go as big as you can afford and you will not be disappointed.

This kit is not for the technically challenged, If you can install a video card and software you should be okay.

Make sure you read the system requirements carefully..
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 23, 2010
I couldn't be happier with this glasses, games look awesome (not all of them) and the 3D movie samples I downloaded from NVidia's webpage look even more amazing.

Pros:
-It turns 2D games to 3D
-Light & very well designed glasses
-USB rechargeable glasses
-No greenish/bluish effect when using 3D with my Mitsubishi WD-60C9

Cons:
-Price
-Not all games look that great, sometimes the 3D effect can confuse your view and you might get tired after playing those for a while.
-No PS3 support

Other thoughts:
-If you own a Mitsubishi DLP TV you can save some money by buying the Optoma BG-ZD101 DLP Link 3D Glasses as an extra pair, they do have some problems when loading NVidia 3D Vision drivers version 260.81, but they work just fine with version 258.96.
-You can get the glasses to work with your PS3 if you run 3D content on your PC to activate the glasses and change the input on your TV while leaving that content running.
on July 26, 2010
I had been waiting for the cost of 3D ready monitors to go down some before I purchased this upgrade. I finally saw the Acer GD235HZ monitor go on sale for $309 and couldn't pass it up. My nVIDIA 3D Vision Kit arrived the same day as the monitor (sweet!) so I was able to try both out immediately. Very impressive if I say so! Way to go nVIDIA!! The only drawback to installing the 3D software was I had to go and search the nVIDIA website to get the driver for the IR emitter, but that was just a minor issue. Have had my system running 3D on games, currently playing Metro 2033 and it's awesome in 3D. Several of my other game titles look great in 3D as well. Now I am just waiting for more releases of 3D Blu-ray discs and I will be upgrading my PC with a Blu-ray ODD and considering adding a 3D ready projector since many are compatible with the nVIDIA 3D Vision set-up and most are less than $1000. Just a note for others.....when viewing in 3D you will probably need to increase the gamma setting (if you can) or the monitor brightness...otherwise everything appears on the dark side. However, just like the driver issue, I consider this to be relatively minor.