Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > The Bookseller of Kabul forum

Woman nearly forced to marry her rapist in Afghanistan

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 14, 2012 8:15:31 PM PDT
Peregrinn says:
You may have heard of the Afghan woman who was raped by her cousin's husband. When her pregnancy revealed the assault, she was jailed for "forced adultery" for two years, later increased to 12 years, and her attacker was jailed for seven years. She was offered release if she would marry her attacker, and she agreed in order that her daughter would have a mother. (If released otherwise, she would likely become the victim of an honor killing, leaving the child motherless.) After international outrage, President Karzai pardoned her, and she was reportedly released on December 14, 2011, with no requirement of marriage. I have not been able to find out what has happened to her since then.

My summary above comes from reading numerous online reports about this woman, known only as Gulnaz. The wikipedia entry for her name lists a good number of sources. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulnaz

I wonder if anyone can help me find out what has happened since her December 14 release. I became interested when my daughter was asked to do a high school report on the status of women in Afghanistan, related to the book "Bookseller of Kabul." But aside from that reason, I am very curious about her fate. Some had said that she might leave the country, so perhaps she has gone into hiding somewhere. I would appreciate any information anyone can find on this sad (but not rare) case.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  1
Total posts:  1
Initial post:  Mar 14, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Bookseller of Kabul
The Bookseller of Kabul by Åsne Seierstad (Paperback - October 26, 2004)
4.0 out of 5 stars (246)