I have FIOS network with their default router . Can I use WNDR4500 along with their default router?
asked by Vijay Raghavan on November 10, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 answers
A
vote
You would have to put the FIOS router in "bridge" mode if it is an all-in-one device.
You can ask Verizon how to do that.
Mark Smith answered on November 10, 2012

A
vote
I'm not sure what advantage you would get by adding another router. Adding a second router really complicates things. If the FIOS modem were separate from the router then you could just disconnect their router and replace it with the WNDR4500. Or as another gentleman said, you could put it in Bridge mode but you will be slowed down to FIOS router's speed and not gain much having this new one. I hope this helps.
L. Wayne Tripp answered on November 10, 2012

A
votes
You would not want to use the WNDR4500 with a second router, but you could use it as your sole router connected to your FIOS Modem. Do you know what make & model of FIOS Modem you are using?
J. B. Quattlebaum answered on November 10, 2012

A
votes
Hello, I honestly don't know... I had someone hook the router up there for me... there is a phone number on the box or on the papers that came with your router there... you can always give that a call so you can get the right answer to your question. The phone number I have is: 1-888-netgear hope this helps.
believecia answered on November 10, 2012

A
votes
I would think you could turn off the wireless router part of the FIOS router and just use one of the Ethernet port to connect to the Netgear box.
G. Patrick Sand answered on December 15, 2012

A
votes
Yes, you can. I've been doing it for several years with my FiOS Actiontec router (wireless turned off, DHCP turned on), and a Netgear wireless router (wireless turned on, DHCP turned off). Connect the wireless router to a LAN port on the FiOS router, configure as above, and you're good to go.
Kindle Customer answered on December 20, 2012

A
votes
You would have to read this article: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking
Depending on what you do with your FIOS you would need to choose appropriate installation option. There are many reasons to get a third party router with FIOS. Most FIOS routers are only 801.11G (slower throughput between connected devices on the same network). You also might want features that you might not be getting with Verizon router.
Dmitri Furman answered on December 23, 2012

A
votes
You should be able to log into your new router (make sure the ip of the fios router and the netgear one is not the same or you will have a problem when trying to log into one or the other) and turn the DHCP setting off because if you are plugging this router into the back of the fios router, only the one with the main connection (fios router) should be assigning ip addresses for your devices. This is the only thing you should have to do to get it working correctly if you are just plugging it into your fios router for a better signal or something. If you mean using it as a signal extender, I don't really know if you can do it on this router, but you can look for a setting that says "use router as a wifi repeater" or something similar to that.

Hopefully I helped some. [EDIT] You will also want to turn the wireless radio on the fios router off if you are just plugging the new router into the fios one. When connected to your new router, if you enter the ip address of your fios router, you can still get into its settings page and functions.
c_sunday answered on January 25, 2013
‹ Previous   1   Next ›