Customer Discussions > Tomb Raider forum

Is the new Tomb Raider like Uncharted?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 7, 2013 8:24:22 AM PST
Opus says:
So I've been playing TR since 1997. I loved the first 3 games the best. The last few for PS2 & 3 were not that good in my opinion. Before I dish out $60 bucks. Is this a TR game in TR style or more like Uncharted? I appreciate your opinions. Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2013 3:44:53 PM PST
Allison says:
It's honestly a bit of both. I love the Uncharted series, and I love the original Tomb Raider games, and I loved this new game.

Some of the good things from Uncharted make it over. There are some great moving set pieces, though not as long as Uncharted or as constant. Jumping from place to place feels a lot more fluid, and you will sort of 'magnetize' if you're almost there but not quite. It's not enough to make it feel like it's babying you, but it is enough to remove the frustration of *just* missing the ledge. One of the places Uncharted beats Tomb Raider is it's cast, however. The side characters are the only thing in this Tomb Raider game I found to be a negative--they're just not well acted. And while Nathan Drake will beat Lara out on charm, Lara is still a fantastic character in this. It's much easier to relate to her this time around.

Where it differs is mood, and this is something I touched on in my review. Uncharted is very light-hearted, Indiana Jones style. Tomb Raider is very gritty, and occasionally very gory if you pay attention. The mood is very dark, and it makes the entire game FEEL vastly different. I think that Tomb Raider's combat system has also surpassed what was done in the Uncharted games, though it's certainly inspired by Uncharted. They did 'stealth' play actually very well here. Tomb Raider also has a lot more room to explore than Uncharted does--Uncharted would often set you down a linear path. But, it's still not as open and non-linear as the early Tomb Raider games, and the puzzles are quite a bit simpler. More like 'what item on my utility belt can I use to get that nice piece of loot that's just out of reach' variety.

The best thing I can tell you, is to watch the ten-minute gameplay preview that IGN had. It's actually a pretty good indicator of what playing the game is like.

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 4:24:42 PM PST
Opus says:
Thanks so much. I really appreciate you taking the time to write. I checked out the videos and it does look pretty good. I know it's not the same as the early days but it looks good and I'll probably get the game.

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 6:52:48 AM PDT
J. Graves says:
Dude I love this new game. It's awesome. Lol made me jump a couple times but i love survival horror so Im cool with that. This game is a lot like Uncharted 2 (not 3...3 sucked in my opinion) and it's really awesome.
SPOILER........................................................................
Specifically the cave part with the wolf that was nuts XD

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2013 3:25:28 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 28, 2013 3:26:29 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 21, 2013 4:33:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 21, 2013 4:37:09 PM PDT
V. Fernandes says:
Its more like gears of war mixed with zelda. Its a fantastic game but it got so many things wrong such as shaky camera on cutscenes trying to look cool, too many scripted scenes, lara falls, stuff also falls on top of her, she is trown from rock to rock and to bottom like a rag doll, yet she survives, at least Uncharted is more realistic in this matter, it shows that Drake is more human like and not superman. Whats up with the shooting trying to copy gears of war?
Still, the best game for me this year so far, I havent tried Ni No Kuni yet. If you liked uncharted, its guaranteed youll love this, in fact I prefer this despite its flaws, the attention to detail here is impressive, I found myself admiring walls, ceilings, and little things on the environment such as statues. I have never done this in a game before.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Tomb Raider forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Mar 7, 2013
Latest post:  Apr 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider by Square Enix (PlayStation 3)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (997)