Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 13, 2009 5:59:18 PM PST
Today I visited Fantagraphics in Seattle and got the word straight from the top. The reason this release has been delayed for so long is because of a conflict over publishing rights with one member of the Kelly family. They promised it will be published, although the release date could slip yet again.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2009 4:46:11 PM PST
K. Larson says:
Thanks for the info. :) Well hopefully things will work out soon. I was wondering when in the ever-lovin'
blue-eyed world it would be published. Hopefuly after this they won't have too much problems with any following volumes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2010 8:07:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2010 8:08:12 PM PST
Karsu says:
Do you know how many volumes there will be? When will the others be released? I wonder what portion of the whole this volume will be.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2010 2:15:52 PM PST
I believe the plans are for 12 volumes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2010 9:21:05 AM PST
Karsu says:
Thanks, Michael. That puts the price in a clearer light.

Posted on Mar 10, 2011 4:15:38 PM PST
I went to comic-con. They say won't come out in the fall. Not in Apr.

Posted on Jun 15, 2011 2:33:32 PM PDT
I'm wondering if they are hesitating partly out of concern for the series' commercial prospects. I would happily buy all 12 volumes, in one go if necessary, whatever the cost, but Pogo unfortunately does not have the evergreen global following that Peanuts had and has, popular as it was in its heydey. The complete Peanuts series of books is well along now, which indicates it is doing all right, but I wonder if the later volumes are attracting fewer buyers. These are extremely well-done books, and do the strip and Charles Schulz proud, but they are hardcover, and therefore pricey. I bought the first three, but my interest kind of petered out, much as I love Peanuts. It's quite an investment to buy every volume.

I love Pogo and have all my life. But Kelly was frequently topical in ways that Schulz was not. References to Adlai Stevenson or the Geophysical Year or trading stamps cannot help but seem pretty dated now. I don't object to these references at all, but they might prove problematic for some potential buyers. Still, twelve volumes of collected strips is a wonderfully thrilling prospect for Pogophiles, and I certainly hope there are enough of us out there to keep the series going----if it ever gets started!!!

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 8:39:40 AM PDT
DukeCylk says:
Good comedy never gets old....if anything it inspires people to google some of the meanings...my 13 year old xbox addict can be caught reading this whole gang and laughing so hard he's crying. IMHO this stuff is legendary. Peanuts kindles the heart and reminds me of my child hood, but often is rehashing the same site gags - great stuff, but the Walt Kelly created deep characters with humor that built up over several days and weeks Sometimes. And then you have to read it out loud and let his phonetic spelling guide you into the southern accent and you can't help but laugh at almost every panel.

Here's a good indication of how valuable this stuff is - try to find any of it used at a reasonable price. They are cherished collectables to read over and over again.

1. Pogo
2. Calvin and Hobbes
3. Dilbert
4. Peanuts
5. Dave Barry (not an animated strip but a cartoon none-the-less)

Posted on Jun 28, 2011 1:18:37 PM PDT
A Reader says:
I certainly hope the actual book(s) when finally produced will NOT be like the complete Calvin and Hobbs.

That set is physically next to junk. Cheap paper, Cheap binding, I am reluctant to read it out of fear that soon pages will begin to fall out.

Posted on Jul 4, 2011 11:04:25 AM PDT
I am beginning to think this book will never actually show up. I just received yet another delayed shipment email...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2011 11:34:43 AM PDT
Art says:
"Beginning"?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2011 6:37:46 PM PDT
Well, there was a slim chance at one point. Now there seems to be none.

Posted on Jul 16, 2011 8:20:23 PM PDT
So I get the most of my comics from my dealer, but some books from Amazon. In the newest Previews ordering book for (September I think) has this finally listed in. So maybe it will actually be out soon?

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 9:25:05 PM PDT
K. Thompson says:
The first volume has been sent to the printer, and is scheduled to be released in November. You have no idea of the amount of blood, sweat and tears that went into this book but it is actually done. Thank you for your patience.

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 11:45:27 AM PDT
J. Noot says:
Yep, have been patient allright... but I bet it'll be worth waiting for.
Does anybody know what the planned frequency of the 12 volumes will be?

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 3:00:55 PM PDT
K. Thompson says:
The second one should come out roughly a year after the first, and after that we hope, having acquired our sea (or swamp) legs, to crank out the remaining ten volumes at the rate of two a year à la PEANUTS or MICKEY MOUSE, thus making Volume 12 available for Christmas 2017 stocking-stuffing, if you've got really, really big stockings.

There was never any conflict over publishing rights, and we've never had any doubt that the series will perform extremely well sales wise, which is confirmed by advance orders.

Posted on Aug 25, 2011 9:03:09 AM PDT
Art says:
Thanks for the update, KT, and thanks for getting this thing out!

Posted on Aug 27, 2011 5:08:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 27, 2011 5:39:54 PM PDT
I'm glad to hear that there were no doubts about the sales potential of the book. I would be thrilled to see the complete Pogo in book form. When I said some of the topicality of the strip might be a problem, I was speaking commercially. Charles Schulz's Peanuts did reflect certain changing developments in society from time to time, but it was not the kind of strip that accommodated references to contemporary political figures and such. So the strips that are running now, ten years after Schulz's death, are not dated. Schulz was not a particularly political guy, but he also was careful about being too partisan---felt it was unfair to the subscribing newspapers. A reasonable argument could be made for his point and the opposite view.

I don't imagine the thought ever entered Schulz's mind "Gee, I'd better keep topical references out of the strip so that they can be re-run after my death!" But it has made the strip timeless.

I'm certainly not dissing Pogo, which I collected every day---and I mean seven days a week---in a scrapbook for five years, missing only about three strips! Pogo did things no other strip could ever do, and we will never see the equal to Walt Kelly's genius.

Posted on Sep 2, 2011 10:11:49 AM PDT
M.B. says:
I'm still disappointed in Fantagraphics for stringing everyone along for almost three years now. They should not have jumped the gun so early, which only led to disappointment. Fantagraphics has not done a great job recently, but at least they are releasing a lot of older stuff that I like!

All the Pogo books are available in the paperback format (mostly Simon and Schuster). The strips are sometimes re-ordered to give the stories a little more continuity, which I think was a good idea because of just how "thick" the characters and stories were.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2011 11:24:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 2, 2011 11:24:40 AM PDT
Art says:
They weren't stringing anyone along. You think they didn't want to publish this three years ago?

As for the paperbacks, I like the way they're cut up into chapters that flow together without any regard for the individual strips. If you look at a similar Peanuts collection, you'll typically have one daily per page. In the Pogo books (if I'm thinking of the same ones you are), each two-page spread contains the panels from three dailies, but there's no demarcation to show where each day's punchline is supposed to go. Interesting that they were doing that in the (50s? 60s?) when the strips were collected. It almost makes it seem less like a "comic" and more like a, whatchoucallit, one of those long books with chapters.

Posted on Oct 10, 2011 4:28:23 AM PDT
Dog-the-Kid says:
I'm pretty concerned about the SIZE of the reprint-books. The Fantagraphics-Peanuts books are much too small, the strips look and read terribly small. If they keep this format for the Pogos, we're sunk. A bad previous example with Fantagraphics is their Buzz Sawyer reprint, too.

Posted on Oct 19, 2011 3:02:59 PM PDT
K. Thompson says:
I don't agree that the PEANUTS books are too small at all. In any event, the POGO books are quite considerably larger than the PEANUTS books: 11" x 9".

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2011 11:56:03 AM PDT
C. Simonsen says:
... meaning that the Sundays will be reproduced in nearly "original" newspaper size? If so: WOWWW!

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 6:12:33 PM PDT
There is a display copy of this book in the Fantagraphics store in Seattle now. It's beautiful! It's for real!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2011 4:21:43 PM PST
The Peanuts and Mickey Mouse books are released individually, and then later in a two-volume slipcased edition. Will the Pogo series follow this same pattern?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  19
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  Dec 13, 2009
Latest post:  Nov 23, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Pogo: The Complete Daily & Sunday Comic Strips, Vol. 1: Through the Wild Blue Wonder (v. 1)
Pogo: The Complete Daily & Sunday Comic Strips, Vol. 1: Through the Wild Blue Wonder (v. 1) by Walt Kelly (Hardcover - December 5, 2011)
4.9 out of 5 stars   (86)