Nikon D3000 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens
Used & New from: $239.00
does nikon d3000 take good indoor pics? hi,

i'm looking to upgrade from point and shoot to a dslr and will likely buy the nikon d3000. does it take good indoor pics without a flash? i enjoy taking pics of my cats and don't always have good natural light. with my current camera, the flash ruins the eyes & general color is off, reduce red-eye does a bit better, and no flash the eyes are ok but there is a LOT of noise in the pic.

i will be using my dslr for basic portraits & macros of objects also; from what i've read inikon d3000 will be great for that, but i'm wondering about the indoor question.

thanks!
asked by Bookish on March 2, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 answers
A
[Deleted by the author on Aug 18, 2010 7:35:39 PM PDT]

A
vote
It also depends on the lens. A fast lens (35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4, etc.) will make for faster shutter speeds.
Connor Robinson answered on May 28, 2010

A
votes
The short answer is "Yes". The long answer is "it depends". As many reviewers have pointed out if you push the ISO over 800 you will lose quality. If you have enough light to shoot with ISO settings of 400 or less (and if the cats stay still ...), no problem with quality.
Audio Angel answered on March 4, 2010

A
votes
thanks, audioangel, for the helpful info!
Bookish answered on March 5, 2010

A
votes
Direct flash is too harsh. You can get excellent results using an external tilt-swivel flash bouned off a white ceiling. Bouncing will give you much more diffuse and flattering light for your portraits, etc. with no red-eye.
Technology Guy answered on March 11, 2010

A
votes
thanks for the tip!
Bookish answered on March 20, 2010

A
votes
thanks connor!

i got this camera a couple weeks ago. i still have much to learn about shutter/iso/etc, but i've been well pleased with the indoor results so far. i've been very impressed by the outdoor pic quality too and am looking forward to shooting some portraits.

thank you all for the tips! i plan to study & practice on them much more to improve.
Bookish answered on May 28, 2010

A
votes
Congrats on the new camera. Have fun!
Technology Guy answered on May 28, 2010

A
votes
what is a wide lens that will work for this camera? i wish i had gone with the d90 now but I am going to live with it.Wide ?
J. Merritt answered on June 16, 2010

A
votes
Any Nikon AF-S lenses will work with your D3000,
Tom Martin answered on July 16, 2010
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›