4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good but Needs Software Modifications
My wife recently passed away after a six year battle with ovarian cancer, and we decided that for both the memorial service and following meal we would make a display using two 4'x3' whiteboards with hard copy photos and a couple digital photo frames. I chose this frame for its screen size, high reviews and WiFi capabilities.

It works great for displaying...
Published 3 months ago by Tim

3.0 out of 5 stars Has Potential, but is Still in Beta Test
Published 2 months ago by Dave in MI

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good but Needs Software Modifications, June 27, 2014
Tim (Southern Illinois USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: nixplay 15 inch Wi-Fi Cloud Digital Photo Frame. iPhone & Android App, Email, Facebook, dropbox, Instagram, Picasa - W15A (Electronics)

It works great for displaying photos from either SD card or USB drive, and the WiFi option enables endless possibilities. I intentionally didn't read the manual beyond connecting the thing to the internet via WiFi, registering for the online account (so you can get pictures emailed to the frame) and updating the software. I think a product should be designed so that it's simple enough to figure out that no manual is needed. It took a few minutes to figure everything out, but within 10 minutes after initial setup, I had an SD card and a USB drive in the frame and was looking at a slideshow.

The WiFi option is great and allows people from anywhere in the world to send images directly to the frame via the email address you set up during the registration process. Where this would be great is with an elderly person who isn't technologically savvy but has lots of grandkids and great grandkids to keep up with. Many assisted living facilities now offer WiFi to residents, so you could set grandma up with one of these and then give out her email address to everyone in the family. Everyday grandma wakes up and sees all the new pics her grandkids have sent her. With 10GB online storage, grandma isn't likely to run out of storage space either.

What I don't like is that while the slideshow offers several time spans to display each image, the fastest interval is 10 seconds. When people are shuffling along looking at a display, 10 seconds is so long that they might not even realize that it's a slideshow and not just one image being displayed. While it's too late for my wife's memorial service, hopefully the manufacturer will fix this in a future software update.

One last gripe is that the SD card doesn't lock into place, so it can become easily dislodged. This happened to us and my wife's second memorial dinner (we had two, one where we live and one back in Massachusetts where she's from). The slideshow stopped and froze on one picture and it took some investigation to figure out that brother had accidentally dislodged the SD card while plugging in a iPod dock that was next to the frame.

All things considered, this is a great digital photo frame. The manufacturer is off to a great start and only needs to make some minor upgrades to make this thing amazing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tech for simple pleasure, June 16, 2014
Nixplay has taken something fairly complex -- the storage and display of digital photos -- and made it into something that seems simple and enjoyable. Once we set our 15" frame up, a process that's easier than our prior experience with Ceiva (a paid subscription service competing with Nixplay's free service), we simply watch the images roll by on the frame.

Memory on the frame is limited to 2GB but we found the SD/USB card options a way to display thousands of our photos without hassle.

Limitations:

1. We'd like to know how much bandwidth the frame uses in typical use as well as how large the image files are that get sent from our account to the frame, since we're using limited bandwidth internet services. The images that get uploaded to our frame are full size (up to 8MB), so our 5GB/month data limit could easily be eaten up by the uploading of our photos.

2. Two of the first USB thumb drives we tried didn't work with the frame. The manual acknowledges that some USB drives don't work, but ours are fairly new and formatted correctly to the FAT format.

3. Would be nice to have a battery option so when the frame is wall mounted (we move it from table to wall mount), we don't have to search for a plug and see wires dangling below it.

4. The smaller frame sizes are low resolution frames. The 15" is higher but still not the resolution of the Retina displays we use on our home Macs and iDevices.

5. NO Flickr integration. The support site says this has been a work in progress since December 2013 but no firm date has been set for going live. Since Flickr offers free 1TB cloud photo storage, we've been using it for photos in lieu of DropBox or iCloud.

6. NO random shuffle mode for pictures. We have rapidly tired of seeing the same 25 pictures come up on starting the frame before we get into the new ones. For the technology (available on all our smart phones, laptops, and tablets), shuffle should be available on this dedicated photo viewing device as well.

Overall, a good buy for the price. The free account is appreciated and is a big step up from the paid frame subscription services we've used for the last 10 years. Finally, the frame itself is well built, looks good, and is an improvement over the older photo frames we're been used to.

4.0 out of 5 stars The start of a great product, June 13, 2014
J. Polak "JP" (Highlands Ranch, Co) - See all my reviews
I selected the Nixplay 15” cloud frame to replace my 10” Pixstar frame which itself was a replacement for a 1st generation Kodak network frame. I wanted the larger display and the ability to play 720p video. I’m very pleased with the hardware used for the Nixplay compared with these and other digital frames. With its 1024x768 image the Nixplay displays pictures and video beautifully. The colors are perfect, brightness and contrast are correct and with the LED display you get a really accurate reproduction of the images using very little power. I installed a 64Gb SD flash installed so there’s space for hours of video or thousands pictures. As far as the hardware this seems to be the best cloud frame on the market.

Unfortunately I cannot say the same for the software and at this time I’m unable to give the frame a top 5-star recommendation due to some serious software design concerns. The Nixplay frame has the potential to be the best-of-breed product for all cloud-based photo displays but only with some corrections to the functionality. The main change needed is to the behavior of the frame when it restarts after being interrupted. I’m talking about the common daily interruptions like turning the frame off with the remote or when the motion-detection timer triggers a power-down or even just going back to the frame’s menu to change a setting. Unfortunately the frame does not remember its position and every time it is interrupted it always reverts to the first picture of the first slideshow. When restarted it should pick up from the same point it stopped, not defaulting back to the first slide. I cannot tell you how annoying it is to always see the first few pictures every time it comes on when you know you have several thousand images in numerous slideshows published to the frame. Each time the motion-detector turns the frame back on it actually teases you by showing a split-second view of the last image displayed and then immediately reverts to the first image every time. Why would you design it that way - it completely defeats the purpose of the motion detector.

A frame of this quality could and should have much better control options. This is the start of a great product and the designers must realize the typical user is going to build up a large library of shows over time. Beyond a simple default setting that makes the frame resume the slideshow where it left off, it should also have more sophisticated controls. For one, the ability to build playlists of slideshows and a capability to schedule shows under clock control are needed. It should also support better modes of random-play operation like picking complete slideshows randomly instead of the simple shuffle-every-pcture mode.

The Nixplay team appears to be responsive to customer's concerns on their web forum so I’ll be posting these feature requests there. If they can fix some of this I intend to purchase several more of them and at that time I’ll come back to upgrade this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Frame for our Business!, May 13, 2014
Received the frame today. Synced with WIFI - no problem. Easily activated and established my frame's email address to receive photos. Uploaded 300 photos from Picasa to the Nixplay cloud account and Voila! my frame was populated. We are using this in the reception area of our dental office to show off our "No Cavity Club" kids. They love seeing their photos. I was very excited to find this frame. I can edit the photos to be added and then email them to the frame. Our previous frame had a data storage card that had to be updated - which was a pain and time-consuming. This is going to be so easy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, easy to use. Huge screen!, June 5, 2014
I've seen these on the desks of people at work for a few years and finally decided to get one. During my research I was thrilled to learn that not only were the screens much larger then I had seen, but some of them had Wi-Fi. I liked what I read about NixPlay and if I don't like it, returns are easy with Amazon.

Well I bought 2 frames, the 15 inch and the 12 inch and I am keeping them both. They are huge! My only regret is that I didn't buy the 8 inch frame as well which I have since ordered. I will have the 15 inch in the living room, 12 inch in the bedroom and 8 inch at work.

Setup was really easy with the quick start guide. I had both frames up and running with a handful of pictures I quickly uploaded to my account on the website. First I created an empty album on the website, then uploaded pictures to that album. Next you create a slideshow and add one or more albums to that slideshow. Then you add one or more slideshows to a photo frame. I haven't quite figured out the benefit of slideshows just yet as it seems like an extra layer that isn't needed.

I plan to mount the frames to the wall at the house. It uses metric machine screws #4 by 12 and I bought ones about 1/2 inch long. I slide off the square plate on back. You have to nudge it around until you get it to come off (plastic tabs on the back of the plate are in some holes). Now it looks like you could put one or two screws into the wall and then set the frame over those screws and push it down to lock it in place. You could also buy a mounting frame like they have for flat screen TVs. I plan two use my screws to put in the mounting plate holes on the back of the frame, leaving them sticking out some, wrap picture frame wire around the screws and then hang it on the wall.

I have set my frames so that they power off if there isn't motion after 5 minutes. You can set it for higher time amounts too. The remote control works great and since I will be mounting this close to the TV in the living room, I like that I can use the remote to turn the frame off. If I'm watching a movie and don't want it to pop on when someone moves around. There is a slot in the back of the frame to store the remote but I plan to keep it with my other remotes.

I did try Facebook and while I don't have a lot of pictures on Facebook that aren't already on my computer, what was cool was I could grab pictures from my friends on Facebook and add them to an album. I think the quality that Facebook stores photos at is lower because they don't look as good as the ones from my computer.

Speaking of quality, you have two settings, upload the full image size, or an optimized size. I have been using optimized so far and they look good enough for the casual event pictures I have loaded so far like Mothers Day. When I upload more formal shots I plan to try out the full size option.

Since some pictures are landscape and some are portrait, my initial plan was to have all my landscape pictures on the 15 inch frame and portrait on the 12 inch frame. I have since changed my mind. The frames are so large that I don't really need to maximize them like I thought. You can set it to either full screen or fit to screen I believe and I like fit to screen. Fit to screen seems to show the full image where the full screen will crop photos to use the entire screen.

The frames do have a USB port and memory card port but to be honest, with Wi-Fi, I don't know that I will ever use those features. If my Wi-Fi is ever down, the frame will just play the pictures that were last downloaded from the cloud.

I imagine that as soon as my parents see this I will be buying a frame for them and the cool thing is I can send different photos to different frames. I can send the same slideshow to multiple frames or different frames. I have been wanting a digital frame for years but am glad I waited because I think the nixplay frame has everything I could ever want in a frame. Highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars This frame is great!, August 7, 2014
These are great photo frames. I have five in total an 18", 15", and three 12". I have been looking at the NIX models that had motion sense for a long time, but held off due to them not having web connection which would require me to manually update the sd or usb thumbdrive for each frame. I bought my parents a Kodak pulse a few years back and loved how that worked with the motion and sound but Kodak never expanded to larger sizes and went bankrupt... This set me up to for the features that I wanted. I feel that the frames with only time scheduled turn on and off are still wasting a ton of electricity and are not smart enough. NIX/NIXplay is the best option I have found and the sizes of the screens and prices are awesome to boot. I will likely setup a second account to gift to parents and grandparents and still control their frames.

So the motion sensors work really well detecting you and the images start displaying fast after a brief message about number of new photos. You can set the frames up to display newly added photos first before going into the rest of the slide shows. I really like this as they are new it's nice to see them right away. You can have these keep jumping line for a day up to a week which is also nice.

So a common thought before I got the frame is if I could remove the peg leg support on the back. Yes you can and there are mounting screw holes.

Each screen comes with its own IR remote. They are all the same frequency and will control all screens that see signal at once. This can be awesome or slightly annoying depending on what you are doing. There are also buttons on the back of the frame or just hold remote near sensor if you only want the one frame to respond. update this can be very helpful when setting up multiple frames at once.
Typing in the wifi password is the most annoying part of the frame which is to say they are awesome to use. It appears that it can remember multiple wifi sources however I haven't had a need to test this.

On a free account you can have up to five frames and 10 gigs of storage. This should be good for most users. Even if you have a frame and give a frame to family members to still control. It is easy to see all your frames in one spot. The web interface is pretty easy to figure out. Upload pictures to albums recommended max of 500 pictures. Then Albums go to slideshows and can go on frames. I experienced issues uploading pictures; however I was uploading in groups of 500 back to back for several albums. It is possible this was because you can select to optimize size pictures during upload which takes more thinking. I think for most cases it will be fine. As a backup and a stronger server I used Picasa for the rest of my albums which these frames integrate nicely with. You can have way more than 500 photos to a frame. I have 6 slideshows on one of the albums and it runs fine. 3000 pictures using only about 300mb of the 2gb available. The optimized pictures display fine on all of the screen sizes.
For now I would recommend using the web storage feature as the usb and memory card features need some work yet and are much less plug and play.

A huge positive note is there is a blog where they are actively taking feedback and responding to customers as well as good email traffic with help. I had an issue with my 18" that was resolved.

The 18" is the nicest with a protective screen over the actual display. The others are just a screen. The 15" will be optimal for most people if you take normal 4:3 aspect. Most cellphones now default to a wide screen though and this is where the 18" really shines. You could also the 18" in a vertical mode for really nice portrait shots. The screen menus and pictures automatically rotate based on screen orientation. If you forgot to rotate a picture there is a nice convent button on the remote to do it instead of searching for it on the computer and uploading again.

A slightly silly note: if you want to use remote to manually turn screens off you have to turn motion sense off and then use off button or screens turn off to turn right back on.
The left/right viewing angles are really good. The up/down are not as great. So You want them at optimal viewing height unless it's in portrait because up/down are now left right. This is the biggest complaint I see other than the usb/sd card ease of use which for many people there is no really need for that.

I totally recommend these frames. They have 8"-18" the motion sense makes so much sense. They are reasonably priced and easy to use.

4.0 out of 5 stars 1 for us, 1 for my Grandparents, May 14, 2014
Easy of use: I set our 2 frames up 4 days ago and have shared the nixplay email address with family. The frames worked as expected and look nice displayed. Set up on the frame was easy. Turn the frame on and enter your network name and password, then go to the nixplay site and activate the frame using a code that displays on the frame, followed by a displayed word. After that, I finished creating my nixplay account and set up a couple slide shows, then dragged the shows to my frame, went in to the settings added some email address and associated the email addresses with the album I wanted them to dump to. I emailed photos, dumped from facebook and picasa without issue.

Issues:
1. Can't send emails directly from nixplay to notify family/friends of the email address, would be nice to check a checkbox when the email is added. Not a big problem but it would have saved me a step on each account.
2. First I put both frames on one account and noticed that I couldn't set a separate email account up for the second frame and that the data limit didn't increase, so I removed the frame for my grandparents from my account and set up a separate account. Then I ran into another problem, that took about 20 minutes to correct. I was able to activate the frame on the nix account, but pictures wouldn't send to the frame. I think the nixplay server was able to quickly remove the second frame from the first account, add this secord frame to the new account, create albums for this second account, but there was a large delay on getting the photos to show up again on the second frame. I reactivated the second frame 3 times prior to getting it to work right. I think I should have just waiting for nixplay to catch up - when looking back.

All in all a great product and would like to get 2 more for the other grandparents in the near future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Images Don't display correctly-- score and review updated!, May 28, 2014
Update: software fix pushed out 6/2 that fixed display issue, automatically applied to frame. Looks great now.

This is a brand new item as of the end of April that I'd been waiting to be released for several months. I ordered several of these. Setup is very simple, just make sure you don't plug/unplug at any point(they stress this in all instructions).

Account interface is decent but could be a bit simpler. Haven't tried synching to social media.

Images transferred very quickly to frame and whether portrait or landscape, displayed at the optimal size depending on whether the screen was oriented landscape or portrait. At first anyway. Everything was fine when I left after setting up on Friday, when I uploaded new images the following Monday, the portrait images only took up about 75% of the screen despite the screen being oriented vertically and the landscape images were only about 60% visible as much of them was off the screen. Not what I was hoping to wow my team with. To quote a man, "photo frame display, you had ONE job!"

To be fair, their CS is responsive and said they are aware it's a bug and an update will be pushed out, which nicely will be received by the frame by wi-fi. Still disappointing that a photo frame doesn't display photos in 2014 when released.

3.0 out of 5 stars Has Potential, but is Still in Beta Test, August 1, 2014
As others have noted, this frame has potential. It has some great features like being able to email photos directly to it (actually to the Nixplay website which the frame connects to), or click & drag upload photos while at your computer, and the ability to link to web albums on Picasa and others. The resolution is good, but not great. I would call it borderline acceptable for a 15” frame. As image quality improves on all of the portable devices we’re used to, I would expect better from photo frame manufacturers. But in general, it seems that none of them offer exceptional resolution.

Unfortunately, for all intents and purposes, the software is still in Beta Testing. Not familiar with the term? Beta Testing is when a software company releases their product to actual consumers for some "real world" experience. This is usually done by invitation to a small, but interested group of users.
There are generally bugs and issues with the software that the company is relying on those Beta Test consumers to report. Naturally, the company then fixes those issues before releasing the product to the general public. Sometimes Beta Testing is open to anyone and everyone, but it's still a debug phase.

That seems to be where the software is for Nix. There are flaws in some of the basic tasks, like sorting an album into the order the photos were taken, and it doesn't re-start where it left off when it wakes up via motion sensor. The manufacturer acknowledges these as bugs, and tech support seems responsive thus far, but I have yet to see closure. These are also the sort of thing I would expect to be sorted out pre-release. Don’t get me wrong, I tend to be a power user of tech and have no issues with beta testing a product. But I would prefer to know my role going in.

Bottom line:
If all you want to do is be able to email a photo to parents/grandparents, and it doesn't matter what order they’re in; or if you want to slip in an SD card and see photos, this frame is perfectly suitable.

If you’re tech savvy and use web-storage for a lot of your photos, and you’re used to having control over how things are displayed, and expect a logical, well-functioning GUI, you may just be frustrated until updates come through.

As it is, I’m in wait & see mode. As my window on a return to Amazon closes, I’ll be forced to decide one way or the other.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless if you cannot get it registered with nixplay.com, August 27, 2014
Connected to our WiFi, then it downloaded and installed an update. On reboot it shows a screen with a serial number and says to log in to nixplay. Went to www.nixplay.com and tried to register the photo frame, but the web site says "Your frame is not connected". Cannot get past this, and rebooting the photo frame brings me back to the same screen.

Sent an eMail to support, then tried to call and could not get through (phone number no good?). Cannot get past this screen, and therefore cannot use the photo frame. Makes me wonder what would happen if Nixplay went out of business, would the frame suddenly become a brick?

Being connected to the cloud is a good idea, but this is a very bad implementation. The designer(s) should remember that this is a picture frame first, connectivity to the internet is secondary.

If I could skip registration and display media from a flash drive, you know, like a picture frame does, then I probably would have kept it. I would have been more patient and willing to resolve the problem at a later time.

Customer service is very good, and they seem willing to do whatever it takes to make me happy. But the product itself is a very bad implementation, and I have no interest in it.