on May 9, 2014
Verified Purchase
UPDATE: Upping to 5 stars (from 4) because I am really enjoying the frame overall the issues I mentioned aren't worth docking 1 star.

I bought one of these the first day it was available for sale and I was initially disappointed. The frame did not perform like the W08A I had purchased. However, after the the software update I received 5/8/2014 (version 1.7), it seems to be working well and I am now very happy with the frame, and I even ordered a 2nd one!

I have 3 suggestions for the frame.
1) Slideshows need a random playback option, and from what I read on their support forums, this is in the works.
2) I would like to be able to configure a DND time period, where the frame is asleep and the motion sensor is disabled. The reason for that is that I have one frame in my bedroom and don't want it kicking on during the night for any reason (and I am too lazy to turn it on/off manually everyday).
3) I would like higher resolution screen (comparable to a retina iPhone's PPI).
I'd actually edit my rating to 5 stars if the first 2 are addressed.

Also, this frame has VESA mounting holes underneath a slip cover on the back. Their product description does not mention that like it does for their non-cloud frame.

Finally, NIX seems like a great company that stands behind their products. The unit I ordered had one bad pixel, and after I contacted NIX, I had a new (perfect) frame in my hands the next day.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 14, 2014
Poor product, that does not work very well and through the small print they want to get full access to your personal pictures...
2323 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 6, 2014
Verified Purchase
I've seen these on the desks of people at work for a few years and finally decided to get one. During my research I was thrilled to learn that not only were the screens much larger then I had seen, but some of them had Wi-Fi. I liked what I read about NixPlay and if I don't like it, returns are easy with Amazon.

Well I bought 2 frames, the 15 inch and the 12 inch and I am keeping them both. They are huge! My only regret is that I didn't buy the 8 inch frame as well which I have since ordered. I will have the 15 inch in the living room, 12 inch in the bedroom and 8 inch at work.

Setup was really easy with the quick start guide. I had both frames up and running with a handful of pictures I quickly uploaded to my account on the website. First I created an empty album on the website, then uploaded pictures to that album. Next you create a slideshow and add one or more albums to that slideshow. Then you add one or more slideshows to a photo frame. I haven't quite figured out the benefit of slideshows just yet as it seems like an extra layer that isn't needed.

I plan to mount the frames to the wall at the house. It uses metric machine screws #4 by 12 and I bought ones about 1/2 inch long. I slide off the square plate on back. You have to nudge it around until you get it to come off (plastic tabs on the back of the plate are in some holes). Now it looks like you could put one or two screws into the wall and then set the frame over those screws and push it down to lock it in place. You could also buy a mounting frame like they have for flat screen TVs. I plan two use my screws to put in the mounting plate holes on the back of the frame, leaving them sticking out some, wrap picture frame wire around the screws and then hang it on the wall.

I have set my frames so that they power off if there isn't motion after 5 minutes. You can set it for higher time amounts too. The remote control works great and since I will be mounting this close to the TV in the living room, I like that I can use the remote to turn the frame off. If I'm watching a movie and don't want it to pop on when someone moves around. There is a slot in the back of the frame to store the remote but I plan to keep it with my other remotes.

I did try Facebook and while I don't have a lot of pictures on Facebook that aren't already on my computer, what was cool was I could grab pictures from my friends on Facebook and add them to an album. I think the quality that Facebook stores photos at is lower because they don't look as good as the ones from my computer.

Speaking of quality, you have two settings, upload the full image size, or an optimized size. I have been using optimized so far and they look good enough for the casual event pictures I have loaded so far like Mothers Day. When I upload more formal shots I plan to try out the full size option.

Since some pictures are landscape and some are portrait, my initial plan was to have all my landscape pictures on the 15 inch frame and portrait on the 12 inch frame. I have since changed my mind. The frames are so large that I don't really need to maximize them like I thought. You can set it to either full screen or fit to screen I believe and I like fit to screen. Fit to screen seems to show the full image where the full screen will crop photos to use the entire screen.

The frames do have a USB port and memory card port but to be honest, with Wi-Fi, I don't know that I will ever use those features. If my Wi-Fi is ever down, the frame will just play the pictures that were last downloaded from the cloud.

I imagine that as soon as my parents see this I will be buying a frame for them and the cool thing is I can send different photos to different frames. I can send the same slideshow to multiple frames or different frames. I have been wanting a digital frame for years but am glad I waited because I think the nixplay frame has everything I could ever want in a frame. Highly recommend!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 25, 2014
Verified Purchase
Love my nixplay frame. I think the best thing at Nixplay is the support, it is the best I ever encounter. 2 days after I bought the frame I was really to return it until I called for support. An assistant named Shae (I apologize if I misspelled her name) spent the longest time guiding me through the process of downloading my pictures into the the frame. She was patient, kind and very clear with her explanations. The frame is great, bright colors, easy to use, now that I know how, the motion sensor is a good feature. I'm very happy my Nixplay thanks to Shae.
on May 17, 2014
Verified Purchase
This photo display is great! Easy to setup, looks good and has many ways to get you photo into a slide show. So far, I've used DropBox, iPhone App, email and the nixplay.com website to get photos to the display and they all work as expected. The software is well done and easy to figure out. I've found no problems with software or hardware. I'd recommend this display to anyone.
on November 6, 2014
Verified Purchase
Out of the box I was a little frustrated. The initial setup requires the frame connect to the internet to download firmware and for you to register it with a free account on nixplay.com. I had the frame shipped to my office, since that is where I plan on using it. I intended on connecting it via our office guest wireless. Our guest wireless requires users sign in via web page, a feature not currently supported. I was able to fortunately create a hotspot on my phone and connect the frame to the hotspot on my phone and complete the initial setup.

I love that it can connect to other sources like Dropbox, and Facebook to access photos. This is done thru the web interface on nixplay.com. The photos you select are added to an album and you assign them to your frame's play lists. One thing I learned quickly, is to save your local album often. I switched from Facebook to Dropbox without saving and had to go back and re-add my Facebook photos again. Another surprise, for the better from a security perspective, but a little annoying from a convenience perspective is that I had to sign back in to Facebook later when I went to add more photos.

Overall though the interface is really easy to use. I love the drag and drop capability for adding photos. I don't see an option to upload photos from the computer that you are on though, and I would think this should be a basic feature.

I also read in the description that you can upload photos from the iPhone & Android App. Really all the app does is create a contact list of Nixplay user addresses, it then uses the e-mail functionality of your phone. So you have to make sure the e-mail address you use on your phone is already configured as a recipient on your nixplay account. Really I was hoping the app would be more of a BlueTooth interface between the phone and the picture frame, or that it would sign in directly to the nixplay.com account configured for the picture frame.

The picture quality is nice and bright, and the frame is easy to configure from the cloud interface.

I think their could be some improvements in the initial setup. If I could have gotten the mac address of the wireless on the frame I could have whitelisted it on the office guest wireless network and skipped the whole need to sign in via web which isn't supported by the frame. I think there are also probably a few more features they could improve on when it comes to managing your pictures.

All said, I do like, it's a nice frame and it does what I want it to.
review image
on June 11, 2014
Verified Purchase
First the basic frame functionality is very solid; color controls are the best I've seen, and this is like the 8 or 9th frame I've purchase over the past 5 years or so (before that I made my own). Two features need updating, but they are suppose to be on the way. These being a truly "random" display function, the second being able better taylor the minimum display time (currently 30s). But give this frame is connected to the cloud future updates can be done without user intervention (yea)!

The cloud interface is very easy to use, you get 20GB online with the frame, if you store re-sized (optimized) pictures this probably holds 10K pictures. The management of what you load to the cloud and what you expose to any of your frames (5 free; don't understand why they would limit this) is easy to understand and use; You upload into albums and manage what's on frames with slide shows (up to 500 images per slideshow; not an issue as you can have many, many slideshows defined.

The eMail interface works reasonably well once you define each email account that is allowed send pictures to the frame, this has to be done one at a time, but once and done generally speaking. Interfaces to other social media functions is evolving, FB, IG, DB, Picasa all exist today (and work), if they keep adding services (Flickr , smugmug, SNAPfish, shutterfly, photoBucket, SlickPic... and other cloud storage options, iPhoto, SkyDrive.....) as they move forward this is truly the product to have (open to multiple services vs a closed, walled off eco-system), as nothing else, yet, compares. Their "futures" forum says lots of thing are coming...if so this is the best of the best. Especially if they define a API for other apps to interface directly with them.

I'd love to take pic with my iPhone and send to the frame/slideshow directly; today it's get's their via another service without full control; hopefully that again will be added, but it's just software, you have the frame that will work with it!
on September 13, 2014
Verified Purchase
The first frame I received had software issues out of the box causing freezing and had many strange issues. After multiple calls and a month with tech support I received a new frame. Then I found if you have a Samsung TV and intend to have this frame in the same room you will have issues. Apparently Nix knows that the remote control codes for the Samsung TV interfere with the frame and aren't speaking about it. The volume up and down on the Samsung remote make the frame lockup, and reset to it's home screen. Tech supports answer is The following:
"Hello Jeff,

I apologize if you have issues with the frame. We are aware of the problem with the IR receiver especially with Samsung remotes. The workaround that we suggest is to separate the frame from the TV or you can apply an electrical tape to the frame's IR receiver temporarily."

They say temporarily, but offer no timetable to fix from what I gather from them. This is completely unacceptable for a new piece of electronics. They ought to at least list a disclaimer so you don't buy the frame and get stuck with this.
on August 10, 2014
Verified Purchase
I grew up in a household where there were picture frames all over (walls, dressers,nightstands, etc i think you get the point) so when I got my place I wanted it clutter free and picture less. This worked well for me until I had my first born. I love this frame and the simplicity of it all. The screen size is bigger than my ipad air so its really easy to see the pictures even from a distance.

I set up my email address as an approved email address on the website along with a few family members and I put them to automatically go into my slideshow. So whenever one of us takes a cute pic of my daughter they email the pic directly to the nixplay email address and it pops up on the slideshow within a 15/20 mins.

I've had other digital frames but I always feel like it such a burden to update the pics on the usb or memory, having the wifi on this frame with the ability to instantly send a pic to the frame is the easiest and really allows you showcase great pics in the home/office.
on December 1, 2014
Verified Purchase
Buyer beware, the frame I received did not look like the one in the photos. The bezel in the photos is much smaller than it is on the actual frame, and the photos also make the frame appear much thinner than it actually is. In actual fact, the bezel around the frame is huge and it is much thicker than it looks.

To confirm, I took some simple measurements to prove that the photos have either been altered or are not of the actual item. On my frame, the bezel is 25.8mm wide and the screen is 247mm wide (10.4% ratio). On the image of the frame on this page, the screen is 853 pixels wide and the bezel is 68 pixels (7.9% ratio). That may sound like a small difference but it significantly affects the appearance of the frame.

The frame is also much thicker than it appears in the photos. At its widest point it is 33mm (1.3") thick. Looking at the photos it looks about as thick as an iPad. Don't be fooled!
review image review image