Most helpful positive review
39 of 44 people found the following review helpful
This frame.. It is almost there..
on March 20, 2014
I got this frame for my wife's birthday, and I had to preload some pictures for the surprise. The package arrived in good condition, and there were no issues preparing for the set up. But after connecting to wireless, the frame was unable to sync to the server. Several times of rebooting has no effect, so I went to Nixplay website for guidance. Apparently, some routers with WPA encryption will cause the frame to have connectivity issues (although I was tethering via my mobile phone). So I changed the encryption of the hotspot to WEP and it finally connects! As my intention is for my wife to use it in her office, I am a bit worried if she will face the same problem when connecting to her office's WiFi.
After syncing and registration were successful, everything else was a breeze. The frame does exactly what it is supposed to do, and the E-mail function (which was not ready when I placed my order) was the first thing I tested, and I loved it! Tempted to buy another for my parents so that they can see updated photos of their grandson, but at this point of writing, the price has gone up by $40, so maybe I will hold back for now. If you are looking for a cloud frame, this product is the best for its value. My experience with the frame is listed below. If any Nix support is readin this, I do hope I can get some response on why some buttons on my remote are not working.
- Delete button only works for photos in slideshows (it will not attempt to delete picture in USB/SD or whole slideshows)
- Rotate & Save button will only rotate the displayed photo for that moment it is displayed (not permanently rotated, if the displayed picture changes and loops back to the said picture, it will be back to normal)
- Share button does not work
- WiFi button does not work (does this mean my remote is spoilt?)
- Slideshow button will start the first slideshow (no matter where you are in the frame)
- Volume buttons only adjust volume for videos, not navigation sounds, and has no indication when adjusting
- On/Off button puts the frame into standby/on
- Motion Sensor button toggles the motion sensor setting
- Very straightforward to set up (if there are no wireless issues)
- Any photos/slideshows and settings published from Nixplay user page are updated within a few seconds to the frame
- Nixplay user page is easy to use
- E-mail function is a super plus point
- Display is quite clear and bright
- Motion sensor works well
- Delete button unable to delete photos from USB/SD or whole slideshows
- Only way to delete slideshow in frame is via Nixplay user page
- Rotate & Save button does not permanently rotate the picture (only temporary while it is displayed)
- Share button does not work (no action, is this a future function?)
- WiFi button does not work (no action)
- Pressing Slideshow button multiple times does not allow you to switch slideshows (it will always start from the first picture of the first slideshow)
- No indication on screen during volume adjustment (have to gauge by listening)
- When new slideshow is pushed, the frame does not autoplay the slideshow (if there is no slideshow in the frame initially)
- The only way to push new pictures to the frame over cloud is via Nixplay user page (manual dragging for Facebook/Picasa/Instagram) or direct e-mail to the frame (settings need to be done for e-mailed pictures to be pushed to the slideshow which must already be assigned to the frame)
- Navigation sounds cannot be turned off
Things that could be improved (hoping to see in the future):
- Allow Delete button to delete photos from USB/SD and slideshows in the frame
- Allow Rotate & Save button to permanently rotate the picture
- Allow switching between slideshows when pressing Slideshow button multiple times
- Indication of volume on screen when adjusting volume
- Auto start a newly pushed slideshow if the frame is in menu
- Allow any new photos in the albums to be automatically pushed to the slideshow and frame
- Allow switching off navigation sounds
- Android app, please?
-= Additional review after 4 months of usage =-
Just shortly after presenting the frame to my wife, there was a firmware update which totally broke the motion sensor. I sent an e-mail to Support and they assisted me all the way to the end (even pushing out patches), for a full month (because I was travelling around for business). In the end, they suggested to exchange for a new device. I had to send my frame back to them (which is common protocol) and they verified my issue and sent me a new frame after a few days. I have to say, I have never encountered such wonderful support who closely follows up with me to ensure that the issue is resolved until the end. This prompted me to buy another frame for my parents for their anniversary.
Thank you Nix support (Jose, Peter, Mary, Xavier)! I really appreciate your help!