Can I use a non-foaming gel with DE razors? With my Mach 3 or similar razors I used to use the standard Edge gel that foamed up thick. Eventually I tried "King of Shave" brand gel and liked it far more. Now I could see what I was shaving, but still had good lube for the blades.

I'm hoping to get the Merkur for Father's Day and was wondering, can I still use my non-foamy gel? I always hear about folks buying the shaving brush and bar for classic shaving - but I don't want to have the whiskers I want to keep obscured by whipped foam. Is the shaving gel I've got insufficient for these DE razors?

Thanks for any insight.
asked by T. Bryant on April 1, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 answers
A
I don't imagine it would perform any worse with a DE blade than a cartridge, but I think you'd like the whole experience better. The canned stuff usually doesn't smell very good if at all and a good lather on your face sure does feel good.
Jerod answered on June 13, 2011
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
And the canned goop tends to tenderize your skin. make it more subject to cuts, scrapes and razor burn.

Try the more moderate priced glycerin soaps or tube type shaving creams.

Proraso, Italian, and quite nice, as are the British shave bars/soaps/etc.
Neutrogena after shave lotion? I like this as an after shave thing, SPF 20 sun protection, too.
I typically use an English Sandalwood bar soap, hot water and a (medium-low quality) badger brush.

The brush is used to prepare the skin, and lift the hairs from the surface, apply cream/soap sparingly, but thoroughly. You can use a soap or cream with a brush, too, or just rub the cream on your face, if you don't mind wasting money, and a slightly worse shave.

Hot, wet, creams make the process a sensual luxurious experience.

A face full of prepared cream is a TV Commercial creation, and you do not need it.
B. Kaufman answered on July 31, 2011
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Additionally the traditional wet shave with a badger or boar brush lathers far less than you're used to with the typical modern blue goop. I've just made the switch and I've been very pleasantly surprised by the way it lathers less and yet lubricates better than foaming shave gel.
HeroOfThePeople answered on December 28, 2010
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
My grandfather shaves with regular soap and I've seen him do it with just plain water. So it's definitely possible to do non foaming gels.
Yi answered on June 11, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The "King of Shave" brand gel will work just fine.
L. Araiza answered on December 6, 2010
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I just tried that for the first time the other day out of morbid curiousity. IT BURNED. Good lord, never again. My face was all kinds of red and irritated. There's got to be a lot of sodium ______ in there.
Someguy answered on November 20, 2012

A
I'm currently using Arko stick soap and am very pleased with the results. That and it's crazy cheap.
timothy king answered on March 7, 2013

A
check out american crew preshave oil
asdf answered on May 16, 2010
Comment (1) | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
[Deleted by the author on Feb 3, 2011 8:46:07 PM PST]

A
[Deleted by the author on Mar 10, 2012 9:59:41 AM PST]
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product