not a complete departure from Angels of Light

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 8, 2010 12:19:31 AM PDT
about less than half the tracks are cliche Angels of Light slow blahblah-i dunno know (ya that sound!).. the majority of the tracks could fit in a Swans time line somewhere between The Great Annihilator and Soundtracks For The Blind. "Casting": regardless of who was an original swans member, it was a very good idea to include Chris Pravdica (of Flux Information Sciences) and it was a bad idea to not include Jarboe.. wtf! @ Gira! sometimes i want his violence in sound to recycle back to him w/ a good punch.. or at least a slap. THIS IS A GOOD SWANS ALBUM! Gira's bellowing out vocals from the depths of his alcohol induced cirrhotic liver! also considering so far of all that's been released in 2010 of all different artists churning out good material, this is one to own.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2010 8:59:52 PM PDT
J. Bjorne says:
The album is just too short ... the intro on No Words/No Thoughts should have been, according to Gira, at least 10 minutes. But the material they captured from Gira's skeletal compositions is quite overwhelming in parts. Gira is already speaking of another album. This is definitely a male-dominated bit of Swans save for the last track where the lovely woman from Bee and Flower Dana provides some backing vocals. Overall I'm glad to ordered the limited version back in January.

Posted on Sep 27, 2010 10:41:53 AM PDT
I know that Jarboe was an integral part of the Swans music, but I am still amused at all the people bemoaning the fact that she does not appear on the new album. Unfortunately for everyone, it would seem that Gira and Jarboe's working relationship and their personal relationship were intertwined, and that their break-up was not all that amicable. Given what I can infer about both individuals (through their music and various public statements), I'd have been much more surprised if Jarboe actually had been present on this new album.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Aug 8, 2010
Latest post:  Sep 27, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky
My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky by Swans (Audio CD - 2010)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (17)